Forum Index > Photography Talk > Cheap Shirt Pocket Camera
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OwenT

OwenT
PostWed May 25, 2022 12:22 pm 
You could get a III for $300 on eBay. The I or II for much less. I would value my I at about $100.

Bowregard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed May 25, 2022 12:33 pm 
Great camera for that price. Not sure I would put that much value on the later models but I have never had a III so I would check that with someone who owns one.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri May 27, 2022 7:56 am 
i have a kodak c140 that has 3.2 megapixel and 3x power zoom. depending on size you can take a lot of pictures on a 32gb internal sd card long movies as well. bought in pawn shop for 20 bucks. no dings no dents no scratches took my posted "animal house" deer and bird photos.
most cell phones have cameras with at least 8 mega pixels even the cheap models and most accept sd card to 32gb. many can be had in second hand stores for pennies

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 27, 2022 11:39 pm 
I used to use an inexpensive Fuji submersible camera for years until the lens got scratched. Shortly afterwards my cheap S10 phone stopped making calls. So I got a fancy new phone with 3 lenses and a lot of fancy dodads. It even makes acceptable pix of the moon at 30x hand held. Gaia replaced my fancy Garmin GPS and both work in airplane mode. What’s more it works in the truck with Android auto. Expensive phone but only one thing to lose.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon May 30, 2022 11:08 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
Used to be you could find an early model RX100 for under $300 if you looked but not sure that is still true. If you really want a camera you need to prioritize best or cheap. Small sensor cameras can be found cheap and take good enough photos in good light.
There are a lot of bargains on recent 24 MB full frame DSLRs, since everyone thinks they need a mirrorless now. For the price of a new RX100 you could pickup a Nikon/Canon DSLR Body and a 24-70 lens.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue May 31, 2022 7:11 am 
Good point regarding full frame DSLRs, But you would have to pick it up and then carry it with you along with any glass you need. I sold all my DSLR equipment when my kids started college and never looked back. It brought as much as I paid for it (lenses more, camera less) and for my hiking the RX100 is as much as I need.

neek

neek
PostTue May 31, 2022 7:42 pm 
If you try fitting a DSLR in your shirt pocket - you're going to need either a new shirt or a new DSLR.

reststep  Chief Joseph
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 3:10 pm 
InFlight wrote:
There are a lot of bargains on recent 24 MB full frame DSLRs, since everyone thinks they need a mirrorless now. For the price of a new RX100 you could pickup a Nikon/Canon DSLR Body and a 24-70 lens.
You would need Andres the Giant to carry it for you in his shirt pocket!

domaz

domaz
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 9:57 am 
If you are opening the door to carrying a full frame DSLR and a 24-70 lens you mine as well just get a Fuji GFX- probably lighter than most "full frame" era DSLRs and better quality too. I think we've definitely blown OP's budget now wide open though.

salish

salish
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 11:10 am 
Folks, thanks again for your advice and suggestions. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 11:56 am 
I use a Fuji FinePix XP140 waterproof camera while sea kayaking. Supposedly my smart phone has a high waterproof rating, but salt water seems like it could do a lot of corrosion to the usb charging port and a wet touch screen doesn't work so well.

salish
domaz

domaz
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 3:39 pm 
Not sure about Salt Water but apparently some phones can survive 6 months underwater in a lake.

salish
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 5:11 pm 
I had the Fuji and liked it for years until the lens cover got scratched. The model I hag has gotten obsolete, however.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

salish
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 1:13 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I had the Fuji and liked it for years until the lens cover got scratched. The model I hag has gotten obsolete, however.
Any electronic equipment you own is by definition obsolete. The entire industry is based on "upgrading" from stuff that works perfectly fine. (typed on a 5 yo phone)

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Sep 09, 2022 9:56 am 
I have to eat my words. I bought a Samsung S21 FE and took both it and my RX100 with me on our Canadian Rockies trip. The cell photos were so good that I only took my RX100 out on one hike to compare and from my eye the RX100 photos were no better so it stayed in my luggage the remainder of the trip.

Cyclopath