Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car prowl turns into car jacking at Olallie State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 5:58 pm 
He works in LE.

breadcrumb
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 5:59 pm 
I made a public records request for the police reports a week ago. Here is the response I received from King County Sheriff's Office:
Quote:
The KCSO is experiencing a high volume of open requests, totaling 653. Your request requires research to verify case status, determining whether the investigation meets the categorical exemption under RCW 42.56.240 (1) and RCW 42.56.050 and what, if anything, can be released at this time. If we determine the case is closed and requires no further review, depending on the volume of records we may need to respond to your request through a series of installments with a first installment by October 5, 2022. If we determine the case is open and active or we are unable to meet our self-imposed deadline, we will let you know as soon as possible. If we are able to provide a response sooner, we will certainly do so.
Police can deny release of records "pending investigation." This prevents them from having to release info to the suspects that the suspects could use to help cover up the crime. But if the police send the case to the prosecutor for charging, the case is no longer considered "pending investigation" and must be released. I've always wondered how the media is able to get leads on cases. Maybe they have people looking at the King County Jail booking records every single day for leads. Or, I suspect, there are employees within the system (prosecutors, court staff, law enforcement) who are routinely giving tips to the media.

breadcrumb
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 8:19 pm 
Altasnob - it seems as though they misunderstood your intent, ie, that you're not interested in the details, just the statistics, the number of reports.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 8:42 pm 
No, for this public records request I wasn't asking for data. I was asking for the police reports for the Olallie car jacking described in this thread. I was curious because the media reports were confusing so I wanted to go straight to the source. I knew I would probably be denied for "pending investigation" but you never know what you will get unless you ask. And again, the second they hand something to a prosecutor, that has to be shared with the public. If the suspects were booked in jail, and are still in jail today, my guess is the prosecutors will be bringing charges shortly (assuming they have enough evidence to convict). Otherwise, the prosecutors will have to release the suspects from jail as the investigation continues.

breadcrumb, kiliki, Songs2, HikingBex, Anne Elk
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 9:55 pm 
I went through King County's public records between 6/5 and 6/12 and didn't find anything. Started going through Snohomish but got bored and quit. Didn't see anything that looked relevant. Was shocked over the staggering amount of DUI arrests though.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 3:55 am 
^ meh.... When this country takes DUI seriously (in respect to the "penalty" part), those numbers will go down. Until then, expect the status quo to remain and watch out for the idiots on the highways.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 7:55 am 
zimmertr wrote:
I went through King County's public records between 6/5 and 6/12 and didn't find anything.
When you say you went through King County's public records, what are you talking about? Just curious? The only public records I am aware of that are available online are the King County Jail booking records. And for everything else, like obtaining police reports, you can make a public records request, which can take months to get a response (and can potentially cost a small amount of money).

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 9:11 am 
altasnob wrote:
The only public records I am aware of that are available online are the King County Jail booking records.
Correct. Based on the news articles and posts here, I assumed the first two people were arrested and booked on 6/5 and the last two on 6/12. So I assumed their info would be on these portals. Here's the Snohomish one which is quite a bit easier to use. https://snohomishcountywa.gov/3474/Jail-Register-Bail-Information

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 2:37 pm 
FWIW I emailed King 5 and the Times to ask them to please cover this and provide updates. As the Times' FYI Guy just showed us, there are an awful lot of us that are hikers and who consider this relevant news.

breadcrumb
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 3:03 pm 
Exit 38 has always been so skeezy.

mosey
breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 1:39 am 
altasnob wrote:
When you say you went through King County's public records, what are you talking about? Just curious? The only public records I am aware of that are available online are the King County Jail booking records. And for everything else, like obtaining police reports, you can make a public records request, which can take months to get a response (and can potentially cost a small amount of money).
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but you can search KCSO Offense Reports at https://data.kingcounty.gov/Law-Enforcement-Safety/KCSO-Offense-Reports-2020-to-Present/4kmt-kfqf The case report isn't listed there yet. I'm assuming that's because it's an active investigation. One of the victims gave me the case number she was given and searching on that case number also yields no results.

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 1:48 am 
Also, another reason we may be having difficulty seeing info about the arrests is that we don't know which agency made the arrests. For example, if the initial 2 arrests were made by the Snoqualmie/North Bend PD, that wouldn't show up in the County's records. Someone who is motivated could file a Public Records Request for that department here: https://cityofsnoqualmiewa.nextrequest.com/requests?department_ids=8878

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 7:44 am 
While it is legally possible that Snoqualmie/North Bend PD made the arrest because police have mutual aid agreements to make arrests anywhere in Washington, I would say that is highly unlikely as the incident and pursuit occurred outside their jurisdiction. Even if they happened to stop and make contact with the suspect in city of North Bend, they would likely have contacted KCSO to take over and transport the suspect to the King County Jail in downtown Seattle. But any jurisdiction that played any role, even a minor role (like just showing up to assist) would have created some kind of report documenting their involvement. WSP may have also assisted. But I think this is most likely a KCSO case. To make matters even more confusing, some cities contract with KCSO for their local city police force (Shoreline, Kenmore).
jlowder wrote:
you can search KCSO Offense Reports at https://data.kingcounty.gov/Law-Enforcement-Safety/KCSO-Offense-Reports-2020-to-Present/4kmt-kfqf
Thanks for this, I didn't know about it.

breadcrumb
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 8:22 am 
I'm glad to hear that the perps are in custody. For all we know here, they could have been arrested in Tacoma, Bellingham, Portland or any where else within a couple days drive of Mt Si. They may not even have been King County residents.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 7:19 am 
In 1994 I was coming out of the Foss lakes. When I stepped out the tree line at the trailhead and into the parking lot I heard a "Crash". It was then I noticed some guys (turned out to be 5) breaking into some cars parked. I stud there kind of wondering it it all was really happening when one of then saw me and yelled "Get him"! Thats when I noticed five of them as they ran at me. It all seemed surreal. When they were about twenty yards away I pulled out my Ruger SP101 .357 revolver and pointed it at them. Well, they all stopped. The biggest guy said "You cant get all of us"! I said, "Ill get you. You care what happens after that?" They looked at each other and turned around an ran off. After my heart slowed down and the adrenalin dump stopped I walked to my car and left. I stopped at the Skykomish ranger station and told them what happened. They called the sheriffs department and said they'd go check it out. They asked me to wait for the Sheriff, but I just told them they could tell my story the same way I could. I don't know what would have happened to me if I hadn't been armed, but it wouldn't have been good.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

I'm Pysht  Anne Elk, uww, SpookyKite89, mosey