Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car prowl turns into car jacking at Olallie State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 am 
I worked in a grocery store in California back in the 70's. We would watch the liquor aisle. Plenty of theft. Our method was to make a loud announcement over the PA. 86 on aisle 3 or what ever. Most of the time that got the person to put down the item and leave the store. I once followed the perp out the door and he turned around and threw the liquor bottle at me, so the merchandise was lost and the perp got away. I was 17 and stupid. We thought we were Starskey and Hutch.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 9:17 pm 
Tom wrote:
The reality is you're more likely be injured on the drive/hike to/from the trailhead than by evildoers at the trailhead. If you must, obsess about the other stuff more. Don't text while you drive, go prepared, etc. If I'm ever in a situation like this at most I'd activate the sos on my phone and/or inreach but for sure would not escalate. I'd venture to guess your odds of dying are significantly higher if you choose to escalate. Heck, even if I could change my outcome from 100% losing my property and 99.9% chance of living to not losing my property but 5% chance of dying I wouldn't take the risk. Life is not an arcade game. You don't insert another quarter to play again.
Tom is right of course. He would certainly know, having done what he's done his whole life. That said, we all have car insurance, home owners insurance, life insurance etc. because ultimately things do happen to us that we need to protect ourselves from . Ive carried a gun my whole life. To me a gun is simple life insurance. Ive needed it twice. Im happy Ive not needed it more but Im glad I had it when I did. Even the CDC keeps stats of US citizens using guns to protect themselves every year. The number is over two million times per year! The great thing about the United States is that at least for the time being we all can make the choice for ourselves. rocker.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Chief Joseph, runup
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 9:33 pm 
I can imagine situations where a weapon (whatever it may be) would be better than not having one. That said I've never once in my life actually needed one. I can think of one particular road rage incident where some hot head forced me off the road and opened my car door. I diffused the situation by telling him my bad, no excuse, I screwed up. I think he was so dumbfounded he didn't know what to do he just slammed my car door and walked away in a huff. I'm actually glad I didn't have a weapon in that situation as I may have chosen a different option and had to live with the consequences.

Anne Elk, Bramble_Scramble, zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 6:37 am 
A coworker of mine in the past got a concealed carry permit and a snub nose .38. Unfortunately in his case this resulted in him feeling emboldened and engaging in stupid "road rage" games. I think this mostly "testosterone poisoning" of a mid-20s young man. Anyway he did end up pulling his weapon and pointing at someone that he had antagonized with stupid driving behavior. This caused the other party to back off , but their girlfriend called 911. When the police showed up , they didn't ask any questions but had him on the ground and in cuffs very quickly. Months of legal wrangling later and $8000 in legal fees later he had the charges against him dropped on the condition that he give up his concealed carry permit. So if you feel the need to carry a firearm for self defense, be careful that it doesn't go to your head and result in you acting in a rude manner and creating needless conflict. For me, in a hiking context, I feel like bear spray is a lower risk, much cheaper and useful tool for defending against various forms of "wildlife".

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 8:09 am 
I thought the topic of weapons was a nono on this site? not any more?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
That's only for people who want the rules to apply to them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 4:10 pm 
FWIW: The Bellevue PD and King County Sheriff made some arrests:
Bellevue, WA Police Department wrote:
Prolific Coal Creek Trailhead car prowl suspects arrested and charged with 12 felonies, including ID theft and robbery. In a joint operation, Bellevue police and the King County Sheriff’s Office have arrested multiple suspects in dozens and dozens of car prowls, ID thefts and a robbery in the region. Bellevue detectives say Jhonny Taylor and Dominique Callier used a window punch to break into cars, stole credit cards and used them to buy or attempt to purchase gift cards. Taylor and Callier face 12 felony charges in connection with their crime spree. Detectives were able to identify the Taylor and Callier after reviewing surveillance video after multiple cars were prowled at the Coal Creek Trail Head. “These suspects brazenly drove into parking lots in broad daylight, punched out windows, prowled dozens of cars, then immediately went to stores to fraudulently use stolen credit cards,” said Captain Shelby Shearer. “This happened at locations all over the Puget Sound Region. And we know from their criminal history that there was a propensity for violence and that we needed to get them off the streets.” Taylor and another suspect, Francisco Pineda, are also accused of at least ten car prowls at a trailhead in North Bend, where the pair allegedly fired four shots at the victims who interrupted a prowl. As they fled, detectives say they assaulted a woman and stole her car. Bellevue and King County Detectives located the suspects on June 8th. When deputies arrested them, they recovered a stolen .357 revolver. A search of Taylor’s residence netted stolen credit cards, identification and fraudulently obtained gift cards. Taylor and Pineda are charged with robbery, assault and unlawful possession of a firearm. “Working with the King County Sheriff’s Office, we were able to identify, arrest and get these suspects behind bars,” Shearer added. “We know these prowls are frightening for our residents and costly and potentially dangerous.” A search of Callier’s residence netted stolen credit cards, multiple key fobs, victims’ ID cards and other property that was stolen during vehicle prowls. To help prevent becoming a victim of a car prowl, you are urged never to leave valuables in your car. If you must leave items unattended, hide them before arriving at your location. Also, don’t forget to lock your doors. Case # 22-21647

RichP, car68, breadcrumb, Anne Elk, zimmertr
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 4:37 pm 
22-1-00043-7 SEA STATE OF WASHINGTON VS CALLIER, DOMINIQUE DSHAY 06/23/2022 08:30 AM Arraignment Hearing Courtroom E1201 22-1-03752-7 SEA STATE OF WASHINGTON VS TAYLOR, JHONNY CASSANOVA 06/23/2022 08:30 AM Arraignment Hearing Courtroom E1201 You can plug in case numbers above if you want to see what is happening on these cases: https://kingcounty.gov/courts/clerk/access-records/records-portal.aspx

car68, breadcrumb, Anne Elk
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 4:55 pm 
catsp wrote:
BPD wrote:
... suspects ... used a window punch to break into cars .... To help prevent becoming a victim of a car prowl ... don’t forget to lock your doors.
lol.gif
IDK -- but one of my neighbors shared some security cam footage a couple of weeks ago where a punk came through our development at 2AM and was trying car door handles to see if any were unlocked. Apparently the Bellevue PD does take in enough car prowl reports with doors unlocked that they feel like it's worth mentioning. I think it is a bit like locking up your bike -- high end bike thieves can steal your bike no matter how tough a lock you use, the higher quality the lock you use -- the more "professional" the theives need to be. But if you don't lock it at all -- a little punk with no knowlege can nick it.

Anne Elk
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:10 pm 
I've been seeing more and more arrests and hikers reporting they're seeing more deputies patrolling trailheads. It only took a woman getting her head beat in with a flash light for law enforcement to finally cough up the resources they claim they don't have for trailhead thieves.

Vesper Peak

thunderhead, ChinookPass, Chief Joseph
neek

neek
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:33 pm 
Maybe it's a function of where you park. In my driveway people check the doors all the time and might be reluctant to make noise breaking a window, but at a trailhead who cares. Anyway, nice to see some progress.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:45 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
That's right, although in this thread perhaps relevant given the incident (since even Tom has discussed, above). But let's end that digression and stay on topic.
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
It only took a woman getting her head beat in with a flash light for law enforcement to finally cough up the resources they claim they don't have for trailhead thieves.
Gunfire and a car hijack were also part of that incident, so it was probably more those things, eh? Maybe the massive amt of evidence connected with these perps underscores to LE that paying attention to TH crime can really pay off. These guys were real pros - a window punch? Wow. Maybe some thank-you emails to the LE jurisdictions from the hiking community will also incentivize more LE attention. up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

SpookyKite89, breadcrumb, car68
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 5:48 pm 
It's funny to me that there is even rampant crime at the Coal Creek TH. I just moved to that area and 50% of the time I drive by that trailhead there are moto cops waiting there with radar guns. It's the biggest speed trap I've seen in my life given that the trailhead sits at the bottom of a small valley. What's curious is that for a few weeks there was a construction sign at the entrance warning visitors not to leave anything in their vehicles. However it was recently removed. I figured it would be a permanent installation given the notoriety of the place. Anyway, glad these jerks were caught and charged.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 pm 
neek wrote:
Maybe it's a function of where you park.
Absolutely. My place is on a dead end street in a residential area. Having any car prowling is rare. A friend of mine used to have place close to Aurora Ave in North Seattle, there he had to leave the windows rolled down and the driver door ajar to avoid having windows smashed or the driver door lock busted with a screwdriver and sledge hammer. Every night.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 9:46 am 
So this group of scums broke into at least 100 cars, fired a handgun in the course of a felony, bashed a ladies head and stole her car. Now in a sane world that should give them say, 20 years in jail, at least, but given our region i wonder how much time, if any, they will actually serve.