Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car prowl turns into car jacking at Olallie State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 am 
Tom wrote:
I can imagine situations where a weapon (whatever it may be) would be better than not having one. That said I've never once in my life actually needed one. I can think of one particular road rage incident where some hot head forced me off the road and opened my car door. I diffused the situation by telling him my bad, no excuse, I screwed up. I think he was so dumbfounded he didn't know what to do he just slammed my car door and walked away in a huff. I'm actually glad I didn't have a weapon in that situation as I may have chosen a different option and had to live with the consequences.
Im glad that situation worked out the way it did. What if it hadn't? What if he had yanked you out of the car and beaten you to death? In fact, the likelihood of someone willing to go as far as he did is that he wouldn't have stopped where he did. The minute he had opened my door he'd have been staring down the barrel of a 1911. Im pretty sure I wouldnt have had to have pulled the trigger, but I would have been ready. Im simply not willing to chance someone that aggressive stopping in his tracks.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 am 
Randito wrote:
neek wrote:
Maybe it's a function of where you park.
Absolutely. My place is on a dead end street in a residential area. Having any car prowling is rare. A friend of mine used to have place close to Aurora Ave in North Seattle, there he had to leave the windows rolled down and the driver door ajar to avoid having windows smashed or the driver door lock busted with a screwdriver and sledge hammer. Every night.
OTOH I've lived less than 2 blocks from Aurora for 20 years and have never had any car prowls or property crime of any kind.

trestle
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 11:06 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Now in a sane world that should give them say, 20 years in jail, at least, but given our region i wonder how much time, if any, they will actually serve.
CASSANOVA is charged with Robbery in the First Degree. Even with no criminal history of any kind, one is looking at 31 to 41 months. And if he used a gun in the commission of a crime, the prosecutor can add a firearm enhancement that gives him 5 additional years of straight prison time (no time off for good behavior). That's just for the Robbery 1st charge, not including the other felonies. And if he has prior felonies, his range goes up. I doubt he will do 20 years, but I think it's reasonable to assume he does at least five years in prison when it is all said and done (assuming no evidentiary issues with the case).

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 11:56 am 
altasnob wrote:
I doubt he will do 20 years, but I think it's reasonable to assume he does at least five years in prison when it is all said and done
5 years is considerably less than such crimes deserve, but i suppose in todays ultra-lenient pro-crime climate, its better than nothing.

Chief Joseph
gb

gb
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
altasnob wrote:
I doubt he will do 20 years, but I think it's reasonable to assume he does at least five years in prison when it is all said and done
5 years is considerably less than such crimes deserve, but i suppose in todays ultra-lenient pro-crime climate, its better than nothing.
As several have said, the moron was taking on a lot of people. That he was willing to carry a gun in his stupidity and use it proves that this could have ended a lot worse. In this situation his crimes have to be taken as seriously as possible. This could easily ended in murder by him(it) or through vigilante actions in a concerted effort by hikers tired of his naive stupidity. Better the latter with a hidden sniper.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
You assume there is strong evidence against this defendant. What you read in the news is not necessarily true. And what you read in the news may not be admissible in court. When prosecutors reduce a charge, they file a document that explains their reasons for the world to see and criticize. In the liberal greater Seattle area, I assure you that the prosecutors hate guns and do everything they can to lock away those who use guns illegally for as long as they can. King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg (a Republican) has been in office since 2007 and is always re-elected. So the people of King County apparently approve of how he handles cases like this (prior to Satterberg, Norm Maleng held this office since 1979, so King County really doesn't like to change things up when it comes to prosecutors; only 2 in the last 40+ years). Note, when I say at least 5 years, that's just a ballpark figure (without knowing the whole picture or his criminal history). Ultimately, we have to wait until there is a guilty plea and a sentencing to assess what the evidence is against these guys, and what their punishment actually turns out to be, before we can claim they got off easy (or hard).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 1:39 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Tom wrote:
I can imagine situations where a weapon (whatever it may be) would be better than not having one. That said I've never once in my life actually needed one. I can think of one particular road rage incident where some hot head forced me off the road and opened my car door. I diffused the situation by telling him my bad, no excuse, I screwed up. I think he was so dumbfounded he didn't know what to do he just slammed my car door and walked away in a huff. I'm actually glad I didn't have a weapon in that situation as I may have chosen a different option and had to live with the consequences.
Im glad that situation worked out the way it did. What if it hadn't? What if he had yanked you out of the car and beaten you to death? In fact, the likelihood of someone willing to go as far as he did is that he wouldn't have stopped where he did. The minute he had opened my door he'd have been staring down the barrel of a 1911. Im pretty sure I wouldnt have had to have pulled the trigger, but I would have been ready. Im simply not willing to chance someone that aggressive stopping in his tracks.
Well, that's the thing. You don't know. But statistics don't lie, and studies show the odds for living are actually better without. I'll go with the odds.

ALW Hiker, joker
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 pm 
altasnob wrote:
You assume there is strong evidence against this defendant. What you read in the news is not necessarily true.
Oh i entirely agree that the news is not always accurate. I suppose you should preface my last few statements with "if what was reported is true".

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostFri Oct 28, 2022 10:50 pm 
altasnob wrote:
22-1-00043-7 SEA STATE OF WASHINGTON VS CALLIER, DOMINIQUE DSHAY 06/23/2022 08:30 AM Arraignment Hearing Courtroom E1201 22-1-03752-7 SEA STATE OF WASHINGTON VS TAYLOR, JHONNY CASSANOVA 06/23/2022 08:30 AM Arraignment Hearing Courtroom E1201 You can plug in case numbers above if you want to see what is happening on these cases: https://kingcounty.gov/courts/clerk/access-records/records-portal.aspx
In case you were wondering, the suspects / defendants are still awaiting trial. Latest trial date is mid-December.

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostTue Jan 31, 2023 5:47 pm 
breadcrumb wrote:
altasnob wrote:
22-1-00043-7 SEA STATE OF WASHINGTON VS CALLIER, DOMINIQUE DSHAY 06/23/2022 08:30 AM Arraignment Hearing Courtroom E1201 22-1-03752-7 SEA STATE OF WASHINGTON VS TAYLOR, JHONNY CASSANOVA 06/23/2022 08:30 AM Arraignment Hearing Courtroom E1201 You can plug in case numbers above if you want to see what is happening on these cases: https://kingcounty.gov/courts/clerk/access-records/records-portal.aspx
In case you were wondering, the suspects / defendants are still awaiting trial. Latest trial date is mid-December.
Latest update: trials have been delayed until February and March of this year. Also, from memory, it looks like the list of charges is smaller than it used to be. Taylor is now charged with 1st Degree Robbery only, which is the charge that (I think) is the (alleged) violent carjacking. Not sure about Callier's charges.

fourteen410
timberghost

timberghost
PostSat Feb 04, 2023 7:18 am 
breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 12:38 am 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 10:58 am 
Who's going to fill out a 20 page forum to report crime to somebody who isn't the police or insurance?

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:53 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Who's going to fill out a 20 page forum to report crime to somebody who isn't the police or insurance?
1. Not sure what this has to do with the carjacking, which is the topic of the thread. 2. 50 people so far have filled out the form. "20 pages" is highly misleading -- it is organized that way merely so I could have some branching logic.