Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Conversation with Google's sentient (?) AI program
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CS

CS
PostThu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 pm 
Yeah it’s changing what was previously impossible because no one knew how, to the person with access to the most energy can do things that were once science fiction. And AI isn’t the only technology that’s to worry about. But if you step back once more, you have to consider the problem isn’t the AI, but that men are not saints. And why we can be so rigorous in science to get the right answer, so ambitious with exploring the universe, and yet complete cowards when it comes to solving the faults of man is stunning… to me at least. It’s worse than global warming, since it’s caused it even.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 23, 2022 9:52 pm 
I think it's important to remember that Blake Lemoine is a computernik -- with the advanced social skills that are typical of the folks than think staring at computer code 20 hours a day is fun. THe current areas of research in "AI" utilize "machine learning" -- which is an attempt to simulate some aspects of neural pathways of the brain -- but remember execution is still happening on a completely deterministic "Von Neumann machine" Living creatures nervious systems and brains don't operate as "computers made of meat" as some AI enthuiasts like to speculate. Exactly how living brains operates is still a matter of research and isn't well understood. Some within the AI research field seem to have "imortality" as a goal -- I.e. they hope that brains are "computers made of meat" and that it will be possible to construct a perfect replica of the human brain and somehow "copy" their knowledge and experience into it. I don't believe that is possible, much less feasible with current or foreseeable technology -- IMHO fundemental new discoveries in quantum physics and completely new technologies will need to be developed before such a machine could be constructed. I.e. a new technological invention along the lines the transistor will be needed. I do believe that the current popularity of "machine learning" is tied to how effective it is at targeting folks with ads for the last thing they purchased on amazon or searched for using google.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 24, 2022 8:31 am 
Important things to define: Neural Network, simply a network where some of the nodes have multiple inputs and/or outputs. It has nothing to do with animal nerves or brains a neural network is one way of connecting cores in a multicore CPU. Others include parallel ND systolic. IBM Watson for example can be switched to different architectures (includindind neural) depending on the problem being solved. Artificial Intelligence as currently used includes machine learning where databases prowl the web and other sources to determine how humans respond to different questions including those which picture includes autos to show you are not a bot. There have been failed attempts to simulate conscience.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 24, 2022 8:31 am 
Important things to define: Neural Network, simply a network where some of the nodes have multiple inputs and/or outputs. It has nothing to do with animal nerves or brains a neural network is one way of connecting cores in a multicore CPU. Others include parallel ND systolic. IBM Watson for example can be switched to different architectures (includindind neural) depending on the problem being solved. Artificial Intelligence as currently used includes machine learning where databases prowl the web and other sources to determine how humans respond to different questions including those which picture includes autos to show you are not a bot. There have been failed attempts to simulate conscience.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jun 24, 2022 9:39 am 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
Like most others, I do not think this machine is sentient. It is not a person, or an independent spirit. But I'm concerned about the potential for people to manipulate others through AI emotional understanding. The poor suckers who've gotten involved in "relationships" with AI "women" are an example of how vulnerable some of us are. While it's a joke to most, think what truly manipulative humans could do with this technology. The ability of these complex neural networks to understand how humans think, their emotions and instincts, and how humans can be influenced and controlled.
Remember that people manipulate each other without computers too.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 12:33 pm 
https://theconversation.com/googles-powerful-ai-spotlights-a-human-cognitive-glitch-mistaking-fluent-speech-for-fluent-thought-185099 Interesting article on the illusion that natural and fluent language seems to have come from a thinking, conscious mind.

CS

CS
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 12:42 pm 
So surreal, then on the opposite end of the spectrum you have Peter Wohlleben, in his book The Inner Life of Animals, trying to convince scientists that animals aren't robots essentially.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 7:08 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
A chatbot is no more than a database designed to pass the Turing test. It is not surprising that it does as designed. Turing died in the fifties I believe and concepts of consciousness have changed hugely since then.If I was google I would have let him go also.
I remember the chief pilot involved in that intentional B-720 crash NASA ran in the ‘80’s (?) being interviewed. The interviewer was decidedly uncomfortable when he went off track and started talking about how upsetting it was for pilots who like him believed aircraft were living beings, who had souls. The fuel additive failed. The thing went up in a ball of fire.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 7:31 pm 
So it goes.