Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Australia suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 7:43 am 
The wife and I will be travelling to Melbourne, Australia, in July to drop off our son to college (University of Melbourne). While there (July 10-29) we would like to do a little bit of sightseeing too. Is anyone familiar with southwestern Australia? - It looks like a hike up Mounts Bogong and Feathertop (highest two points in Victoria) might not be viable alternatives due to wintery conditions (although I don't know how bad/technical it gets)...or are they? If not, would anyone know of hikes, either coastal, or with (wilderness) views, within a 3hr drive of Melbourne? - We plan to do the Great Ocean Road Drive along the coast, possibly with a stopover in Port Campell. One of the sights on this drive I've wanted to photograph for 35yrs now is the 12 Apostles. Other than that, if anyone is familiar with this trip, would they have any suggestions? - We want to try and make it to Uluru (Ayers Rock), but that doesn't seem to be a simple proposition, since the place seems to lie in the middle of nowhere. Any advice about that? - Any must-see sights (hiking/photography centric)?

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 9:39 am 
I lived in Melbourne (pronounced Mel-Ben) for two years a long time ago and ww have a friend who just came back after 2 year. For hikes Wilson Promatory is relatively close. Hanging Rock has some short rock climbs koalas, and Ballarat has interesting history. If into surfing and films Bells Beach near Gelong was made famous by The Endless Summer and Pointbreak, but be forwarned conditions ate highly variable . Melbourne is the cultural capital of Oz and there are many concerts and museums there. If you are into animals there are game parks and preserves nearby. Kangaroo Island has native animals. The fairy penguins March up from the ocean near Melbourne.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

GaliWalker
jstern

jstern
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 10:09 am 
Visited Melbourne a long time ago (2006), but didn't do any hiking, so can't speak to that. As to the Great Ocean Road, the 12 Apostles are awesome! Sounds like you will be driving, so you will have much better opportunity for good lighting during different times of the day, weather dependent. A stop at Loch Ard Gorge is worthwhile, but I remember it being a bit touristy, so be forewarned. The history of it is pretty interesting. We also traveled to Ayers Rock / Uluru, but we flew in. You are right, in that there is not much else around. We ended up doing the trail around Uluru, which was really cool, with plenty of good photo opportunities! smile.gif Near there, is another area called Kata Tjuta / Olgas, which was well worth visiting too. tks

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen

GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 10:25 am 
Yeah, we're also thinking of flying in to Uluru. Hopefully, we can swing it. The Fairy Penguins and Wilson Promontory suggestions also sound really cool! I'm getting psyched!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 4:20 pm 
Spent a good deal of time near the 12 apostles and Lockard Gorge, several of the Apostles have toppled into the Sea and there are no longer 12. There used to be lifesaving stairs cut into the cliffs but my information is they no longer exist, probably a good thing. Uluru was climbed by several of my friends but this is no longer possible due to tourist slips and aboriginal objections. I think the penguins where on Phillips island but not sure of season. Oz is huge about the size of the US. If you go into the Outback bring an InReach or beacon rescue is a long ways away. If you get to West Australia the two capes trek is beautiful.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

GaliWalker
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Jun 28, 2022 7:55 am 
a solid second on Wilson's Promontory. It is a spectacular place with lots of wildlife. We had lorikeets sit on us for photos and saw lots of wombats and even an echidna. Great hikes to small mountains and the seashore is wonderful. Have a fantastic time and I look forward to trip reports!! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

GaliWalker