Forum Index > Trail Talk > what trail should i brush out?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 11:37 pm 
since i'm out of work, and the weather's starting to turn, i'm thinking of grabbing some pruners and small saws and heading out to some of our less maintained trails to do a little de-brushing. my knowledge of really bad trails is limited, so i'm looking for suggestions. i'm mostly willing to cut logs and branches, but not so much into the idea of shoveling or repairing any part of the dirt/rock trail itself as other organizations like WTA are much more knowledgeable and capable in that arena. thanks! Marble Pass or Troublesome Creek. hockeygrin.gif Mineral creek to Park lakes. agree.gif Marten Lake, Middle Fork. Short bad section in an avy chute. Scatter Creek to Grindstone, although when the road opens again this will probably get official attention. Lennox Creek trail, up the North Fork Snoqualmie. That's got lots of brush to lop hockeygrin.gif South Cascade River to South Cascade lake! moon.gif Mt. Phelps (N. Fork Snoq.) - lots of downed trees to be cleared, trail overgrown wink.gif Pitcher Mtn. (Carbon Ridge) - At least through the meadow area, if not beyond Mineral City to Poodle Dog Pass embarassedlaugh.gif

Wiki summmary last edited by Gsnorgathon on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:05 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 1:47 pm 
I just did the South Fork Cascade Trail over the weekend and it was probably the hardest hike I have ever done in my life. Myself and a friend were each carrying 60+ pounds of gear. It was a mess. The trail is almost completely gone. Numerous down trees to climb over/go under/go around. It needs MAJOR attention.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 5:07 pm 
If you want to do a legal spot of brushing out before you head out on your own: PCTA brushing trip next weekend. That will give you some tips, at least!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
iron

iron
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm 
would someone like to add to the wiki a description of trail standards? while i appreciate the comments about joining trail crews and such to learn their standards, i'm pretty sure i can follow the guidance of written directions just as well. plus, on the few WTA trips i've done, we didn't brush out a thing - just put in steps and shoveled dirt. so, the wiki edit would be something like this: PCT and PNWT: X wide & Y high USFS trails: A wide & B high etc...

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 8:44 pm 
Yea we didnt brush either just put in foot walks ways, a bridge, and some ditching. Its the outdoors and if you could just skip along everybody and there mother would be out there. Best left somewhat rustic.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 5:03 pm 
Iron In regards to standards: It varies from one trail to another depending on the nature of the trail, the user groups and the character of the trail. On the PCT, the generic clearing limits are 8' wide and 10' high (due to it being an equestrian trail). The idea is a rider is clear verticall and ditto the panniers on their pack string laterally. There is a bit of finesse however. On side hill, one tends to want to bias the clearing to the up hill side. Other trails have different standards. I don't know the PNWT's standard. A generic guide to trail maintenance can be found by searching on line for "Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook, 2007 edition". And if you're not interested in shoveling dirt, come on out this coming Saturday the 25th (and likely again on October 3rd) and help slaughter the brush on the PCT south of Stampede Pass. There's miles and miles and miles of it...... See the link in the post a few above to the post in the Stewardship forum. If you're interested, e-mail me by Thursday evening. Edited to add: And the WTA will be working this same area on the 28th to the 1st. See their volunteer page for details.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 5:20 pm 
The trail from Barclay Lake to Eagle could use a little TLC.
Slog to Eagle
Slog to Eagle
Slog to Eagle
Slog to Eagle

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 8:34 pm 
Yea brushing that trail to eagle creek would make that guy happy who was going to hike from Barclay to Eagle, Simms and Sunset!!

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
The trail from Barclay Lake to Eagle could use a little TLC.
Slog to Eagle
Slog to Eagle
Slog to Eagle
Slog to Eagle
That almost doesn't even look like a trail.. lol.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 6:04 am 
[quote="The Angry Hiker"]The trail from Barclay Lake to Eagle could use a little TLC./quote] Brushing out? Or logging out? In my area, brushing would just require some loppers. Logging out would require a saw or axe. Terminology can be a good thing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm 
This thread needs to be brushed out by now! Iron, you stuck a nerve.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 10:32 pm 
I vote for Mineral Creek to Park Lakes.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 10:50 pm 
Why would anyone in their right mind hike from Barclay Lake to Eagle Lake? Oh wait, it was The Angry Hiker who posted that suggestion, never mind. Carry on. clown.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Worthington

Worthington
PostTue Jun 28, 2022 7:52 pm 
I'm bumping this OLD thread to suggest brushing out the Reynolds Creek Trail #402 which leads from the Twisp River, up to the pass between Reynolds and Rennie Peak, and could then access Stehekin via the Boulder Creek trail. 1. This trail is still an official trail, but the USFS hasn't bothered brushing or logging it recently. 2. Last year the parallel South Creek/South Pass Trail (to Mcalester Lake and Pass and the PCT) was effectively closed due to a private land dispute, and remains closed. The Reynolds Creek trail would access much of that same area.

Pyrites
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jun 28, 2022 11:14 pm 
One brushes out a trail and the brush grows back, seems kind of pointless. Kind of like cutting weeds instead of pulling them out, roots and all.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 4:57 am 
Why brush it when the burned trees will cover it again. If the trail doesn't lead to a lake with a view or some other prominent feature the USFS/WTA has no desire to brush it. If you choose to do it yourself then so be it.