Forum Index > Gear Talk > Silnylon or Silpoly test
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 1:56 pm 
I was gifted a lot of unidentified fabric. I'd like to make a tent out of some of it (my second tent make), but am unsure if it is silnylon or silpoly. According to a BPL post, this is a test that can determine which is which:
Quote:
The best way to tell the difference between silicone coated and polyurethane coated fabric is to take a swatch and put a dab of silicone seam sealer or silicone caulk on it and let it dry. Once dry, the silicone seam sealer or silicone caulk will only stick securely to the silicone coated material. The silicone sealer or caulk will rub off the PU coated material easily.
However, here's the seam sealers I have currently on hand: https://imgur.com/gallery/c0TB7xa - I can't figure out if these are silnylon seam sealers or not. Does anyone know what types these are?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 3:58 pm 
Are you equating silpoly with "polyurethane coated fabric"? The "sil" of silpoly refers to silicone, so unless maybe your fabric has silicone on one side and PU on the other, I'm not sure what good the referenced test would do.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 4:22 pm 
I could be wrong (far from an expert), but these days silpoly is impregnated with silicone, not just coated on one side?

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 5:38 pm 
bccarlso wrote:
I could be wrong (far from an expert), but these days silpoly is impregnated with silicone, not just coated on one side?
I think some mfrs are moving that way...don't know if it's all. But if both silnylon and silpoly are silicone-only, the test will by definition not tell you whether the fabric is nylon or polyester.

glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 6:05 pm 
To do your test, you could use “Sil Net” by Gear Aid. The sealers you included in your post will not stick to anything coated with silicone. (I guess you could “reverse” the test with what you have). The fabric itself doesn’t really matter in my opinion, what it is coated with does.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 7:21 pm 
texasbb wrote:
I think some mfrs are moving that way...don't know if it's all. But if both silnylon and silpoly are silicone-only, the test will by definition not tell you whether the fabric is nylon or polyester.
I certainly don't know the science behind it but I figured since both were silicone impregnated/coated, the nylon vs. polyester would be the determining factor in if the silicone sealant would stick. But I guess being that's confused by the silicone sealant, well, being silicone. Hm, oh well, both would suffice for a tent I'm sure.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 9:36 am 
There are both Polyester and Nylon silicone coated fabrics (Silnylon, Silpoly). Polyester as a fabric does not absorb water, but at the same denier it is not as strong or abrasion resistant as Nylon. More typically used as basic rain wear. Nylon as a fabric can absorb water, and has more elongation (stretch) than polyester. I suspect the only way to differentiate the two is a pull test for elongation. You could make a tent body with either material, but I would definitely use Sil-Nylon for any tent floor. There is also Polyester fabric with Polyurethane coating on one side (typical of a lot of basic tents). Since these do not have silicone coated fabric, the silicone will not stick to the coated side. Sometimes described as "PU coated Taffeta". I suppose the sale and use of "footprints" was common to protect the more fragile Polyester tent floor.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 1:10 pm 
InFlight wrote:
There are both Polyester and Nylon silicone coated fabrics (Silnylon, Silpoly). Polyester as a fabric does no absorb water, but at the same denier it is not as strong or abrasion resistant as Nylon. More typically used as basic rain wear. Nylon as a fabric can absorb water, and has more elongation (stretch) than polyester. I suspect the only way to differentiate the two is a pull test for elongation. You could make a tent body with either material, but I would definitely use Sil-Nylon for any tent floor. There is also Polyester fabric with Polyurethane coating on one side (typical of a lot of basic tents). Since these do not have silicone coated fabric, the silicone will not stick to the coated side. Sometimes described as "PU coated Taffeta". I suppose the sale and use of "footprints" was common to protect the more fragile Polyester tent floor.
Thanks InFlight. I did read about using Silnylonfor tent floors. But I'm looking to make the 2-person version of Henry Shires' Tarptent, which has no floor. Would you recommend Silnylon or Silpoly? The fabric I'm looking to use (I have a few different weights actually) has about as much pull as the 1.6oz and 1.1oz Ripstopbytheroll HyperD that I've used on hammocks, which is not that much, so I suspect Silpoly.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 12:08 am 
I assume you have seen these plans https://www.tarptent.com/pcthike/tarptent/tarpdesign.html I have have two silnylon tents (TT Contrail & SMD Lunar Solo). No personal experience with Silpoly shelters, but there are quite a few reputable cottage companies offering Silpoly tarps and tents now.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 4:56 pm 
InFlight wrote:
I assume you have seen these plans https://www.tarptent.com/pcthike/tarptent/tarpdesign.html I have have two silnylon tents (TT Contrail & SMD Lunar Solo). No personal experience with Silpoly shelters, but there are quite a few reputable cottage companies offering Silpoly tarps and tents now.
Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of making - the two person one. There are surprisingly few lightweight MYOG two person tent designs out there that I could find.