Forum Index > Trail Talk > what trail should i brush out?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 11:37 pm 
since i'm out of work, and the weather's starting to turn, i'm thinking of grabbing some pruners and small saws and heading out to some of our less maintained trails to do a little de-brushing. my knowledge of really bad trails is limited, so i'm looking for suggestions. i'm mostly willing to cut logs and branches, but not so much into the idea of shoveling or repairing any part of the dirt/rock trail itself as other organizations like WTA are much more knowledgeable and capable in that arena. thanks! Marble Pass or Troublesome Creek. hockeygrin.gif Mineral creek to Park lakes. agree.gif Marten Lake, Middle Fork. Short bad section in an avy chute. Scatter Creek to Grindstone, although when the road opens again this will probably get official attention. Lennox Creek trail, up the North Fork Snoqualmie. That's got lots of brush to lop hockeygrin.gif South Cascade River to South Cascade lake! moon.gif Mt. Phelps (N. Fork Snoq.) - lots of downed trees to be cleared, trail overgrown wink.gif Pitcher Mtn. (Carbon Ridge) - At least through the meadow area, if not beyond Mineral City to Poodle Dog Pass embarassedlaugh.gif

Wiki summmary last edited by Gsnorgathon on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:05 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:52 am 
Worthington wrote:
I'm bumping this OLD thread to suggest brushing out the Reynolds Creek Trail #402
I have considered this trail as the most direct route to get to some botany I have been seeking, but I read that the tread is gone at the top across very steep scree. Anyone been up there in the last few years? Is there a Class 1/2 route down the other side?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 8:45 am 
Sculpin wrote:
I have considered this trail as the most direct route to get to some botany I have been seeking, but I read that the tread is gone at the top across very steep scree. Anyone been up there in the last few years? Is there a Class 1/2 route down the other side?
Report from last year suggests it needs a serious log-out as well, and I'm sure it's even worse this year. Haven't been, but would like to get Rennie. Looks (from the aerial view) like it would be an easy class 2 drop from the pass to the trail on the other side (200' in 1/4 mile) for someone wanting to continue on to Stehekin.

SharpFrank

SharpFrank
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 am 
Great report, thank you for sharing. As far as I understood right, the trail still hasn’t been cleared and there are a lot of fallen trees and bushes? It seems to me that usual loppers(list of examples) wouldn't be enough here... Cheers!

Worthington

Worthington
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 7:29 pm 
Given that the USFS out of Winthrop now has 1 less nearby trail to maintain (The sadly closed South Creek trail) - please consider the option of calling or emailing them and suggesting they return to maintaining this one - which is an official trail with a number and everything.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:50 pm 
Mineral creek to park lakes would be amazing...

bgs8379

bgs8379
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 7:42 am 
I have been working on the White River Trail for 25 years. Going back in soon for another assault !

sooperfly, zimmertr, Bramble_Scramble
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 10:26 am 
Lennox Ck will be getting some attention from WTA next week.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 12:23 pm 
Bathtub Lakes.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 6:32 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
Mineral creek to park lakes would be amazing...
I was up there last year and the first 3 miles had recently been brushed out to whatever the standard width is. Not sure if it's been brushed the rest of the way. I was very surprised. I don't think it's been brushed in a long time.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 6:50 pm 
That's great info..thanks!!..been to the stone kingdom 1x..should be showing some people around there soon...

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 9:57 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
That's great info..thanks!!..been to the stone kingdom 1x..should be showing some people around there soon...
From what I remember the brushy section didn't last tooooo long. Then it's forest with some downed trees but not terrible. I wonder who was brushing it out. It was brushed to forest service standards as far as I could tell. I was up there August 23-25. They didn't do any more work while I was up there but it was during the week. It was quite a pleasant surprise. I was ready to battle brush. Looking back at the WTA reports even the old from 1997 mentions horrible brush so I wonder if this is the first time it's been properly brushed in at least 25 years.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 10:01 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
Mineral creek to park lake
forest gnome wrote:
been to the stone kingdom 1x..should be showing some people around there soon...
Careful Gnomy. That is a secret area and I know how you feel about those (Based on your PMs to me RE: Dee) Wouldn't want "Me and 5000 other hikers" going there bart.gif Mineral Creek was smooth sailing for me last year compared to the last time I did it. Probably wouldn't use that route again now that I know about the Alta backdoor though.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath, Bramble_Scramble
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 11:12 pm 
bgs8379 wrote:
I have been working on the White River Trail for 25 years. Going back in soon for another assault !
RichP wrote:
Lennox Ck will be getting some attention from WTA next week.
Thank you!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 04, 2022 9:44 am 
forest gnome wrote:
Wow, so your rules apply to everybody except you.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jul 04, 2022 10:06 pm 
May u should compare the number of trip reports..compared to rainbow ridge.. Can you even count?...and it's certainly not a sensitive area with that many visitors..or are u stupid enuf to think it only gets 20 people a season?.not at glacier spectacle.. clown.gif There is even a trail marked on the map now..derrrrrr...I suppose I shouldn't show them spider meadows either.. Cyklo path...Do u even go to places that have less then 20 visits a year ?.. Off trail sensitive areas are completely different then lakes that get dozens of people a season..I actually have to explain this to people??..what's not to get?.. Maybe youshould do some reports so they get trashed like peggy's pond..or half a dozen other places have in the last 5 plus years thanks to social media... Dam phone won't let me do all the emotiocons....I know your not serious...the 2 are not even comparable..