Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grindstone and Snowgrass 7/1-2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 7:41 am 
I thought I was doing everything right with respect to covid, but still got hit pretty hard in the middle of June. To mark the end of a 13-day infection, I headed past the pavement on Icicle Creek Road for a 2-day trip to an area I had briefly explored with family once. Arriving to sunshine, no bugs, and an empty parking area, my spirits were already starting to lift. Due to reduced cardio function I took it very slow and tried to stay in zone 2. The trail was in decent shape; a bit overgrown but with only a couple of big trees down. I sawed a few of the smaller ones to make things a tiny bit better. The trail crosses Chatter Creek twice; the first crossing has a nice footbridge, but the second is a ford, and the creek was raging. I walked downstream a bit and found a log to cross on. Solid snow started around 6200'. I crested the ridge and set up camp on a mostly flat spot. Meanwhile a couple guys showed up and decided to camp nearby as well, since their plans to continue on would have meant snow camping. There was plenty of time left to climb Grindstone, so I headed up and over the north ridge for the standard approach from the other side. The route was almost entirely snow, but it was soft enough for kicking steps, no crampons required. It's probably less pleasant when the snow is gone. After hanging out on the warm summit for a few minutes, I headed back to camp.
Looking south from the ridge
Looking south from the ridge
Looking north from the ridge
Looking north from the ridge
A bunch of snowy side-hilling to the summit
A bunch of snowy side-hilling to the summit
Lake Sylvester
Lake Sylvester
Heading back from Grindstone
Heading back from Grindstone
Cashmere
Cashmere
Stuart behind Eightmile
Stuart behind Eightmile
The next morning I set off for Snowgrass Mountain, a long snow slog, stopping off at Cape Horn along the way, which a short and steep trail ascends. The snow was still soft enough for booting, but the axe was comforting. I couldn't believe I had the whole place to myself on a weekend. Just a few miles away I bet there were a thousand people at Colchuck Lake. I went through a whole bottle of sunscreen (granted, it was a very small bottle) and managed not to get burned. Also, I didn't realize how many larches were back here. They're quite pretty now, having just leafed out. I got back to camp around 3pm and ran into some folks who were up for the day. Packed up and headed down, this time just walking across Chatter Creek. Even though it's raging now, the ford is calm, and not too deep. As forecast, clouds moved in quickly in late afternoon, and it started to sprinkle a little. I got back to the car as thunder was booming in the distance.
Good view of Grindstone
Good view of Grindstone
Snowgrass far right
Snowgrass far right
The Cradle to the right of Rainier
The Cradle to the right of Rainier
Daniel and Hinman
Daniel and Hinman
Lake Edna
Lake Edna
slog slog
slog slog
Snowgrass summit
Snowgrass summit
Lake Brigham and Flore
Lake Brigham and Flore
Lake Grace
Lake Grace
https://www.strava.com/activities/7404532352 https://www.strava.com/activities/7405856674

hot.choss, SeanSullivan86, Alpine Pedestrian, rubywrangler, zimmertr, Tom, ozzy, ALW Hiker, reststep, RichP, Route Loser, Bootpathguy, GeoTom, Gimpilator  awilsondc, ngie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 8:20 am 
Thank you for reviving memories. Snowgrass deserves more interest from hikers. It misses inclusion into the Backcourt List being just four feet shy of the arbitrary 400 ft prominence rule (some sources say it meets that requirement). But it brings the peakbagger into a beautiful area with only day-hike commitment if you don’t add in other peaks. Albert “Hal” Sylvester was mortally injured when his mount spooked and threw him onto rocks near Snowgrass. After his death his friends petitioned to rename Snowgrass as Sylvester. The request was denied and nearby Sylvester Lake received his name instead. This link recounts Sylvester’s tragedy. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7971791

awilsondc
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 8:43 am 
Great TR and beta. up.gif Also nice photos. I still have some official business to tend to in the Lady Lakes area this summer. And with bridges down it seems Chatter creek is the best way in. But I will probably wait till some more snow melts.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 9:28 am 
neek wrote:
Lake Sylvester
Lake Sylvester
Cool! Thanks for sharing. If this cold summer continues, and with this past winters snow pack, I feel alot of lakes won't melt out

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

puzzlr, zimmertr, ALW Hiker, neek
Roald

Roald
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 1:50 pm 
What a beautiful trip and pics, Nick! Congratulations on getting over Covid in such style, too.

ngie

ngie
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 2:10 pm 
Beautiful! For what it's worth, I think that's pretty awesome that you accomplished so much heading up there, post-COVID. That trail isn't a slouch with a heavy pack. Hopefully I get a chance to head back there when the snow's still present.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 10:12 pm 
Awesome stuff