Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Chelan Lakeshore Trail - 6/22-6/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadia1000
cascadia

cascadia1000
cascadia
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 2:23 pm 
Day 1: Prince Creek to Moore Point (11.5 miles) I took the ferry from Chelan to Prince Creek. I arrived at Prince Creek around 10:30 AM. The air was warm, the day was sunny but there was a nice breeze off the lake so it never felt hot. You are exposed to the sun for most of this trip, so be sure to cover up and use sunscreen. While most people head north, I did see a few people heading south from Stehekin. Right after the group warned my to be on the lookout for rattlesnakes, I came across two on the trail. Both were not aggressive at all. As soon as they noticed my presence, they bolted off the trail. I naturally hike with my head down, but this is one hike where you don't want to step on the wrong thing. It can come back to bite you, so they say... Anyway, the views were stunning. The lake is in view nearly the whole time. The aqua blue color of the lake just adds to the beauty. I had to stop several times to take a moment to appreciate what my eyes could behold. The trail was in very good shape. I arrived at Moore Point and made camp for the night. There were a few others camped there and all were pleasant. All the main camps have bear boxes which made food storage very easy. Day 2: Moore Point to Stehekin (7.5 miles) I got up early at 4:30AM. I wanted to be hiking by 5:30AM since I had a 12:30PM ferry and I wanted some time to explore Stehekin. After leaving Moore Point, there is a climb up to one of the highest points of the trail. This was my favorite area of the trail. Views were incredible. You can tell this section gets a little more rain than the south end as its a little greener. The trails hugs the shoreline in many places making for pleasant hiking. I made it to Stehekin around 9AM. First thing I did was grab my rental bike and head straight for the Stehekin Pastry Company. I couldn't decide between the quiche and the cinnamon roll, so I decided that I'd have to get both. I didn't regret that choice, both were amazing. What a cool town, Stehekin. My only regret is that I should have stayed the night and camped in Stehekin as there were more areas I wanted to explore. I guess, I'll just have to come back. Overall, I very much enjoyed this trip and will plan to do it again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 4:13 pm 
Such a beautiful video--the filming, editing, music and all. Very calming to watch this. Such a magnificent landscape burn scars or not. Those occasional peak views are very exciting. This is an awesome hike to do. I have a couple of questions. I have seen a few other videos like this where the videographer is solo and has so many shots of the hiker coming and going, etc. Are you setting up your camera, then turning it on, then getting in to the frame and hiking off or coming into the frame, or crossing the bridge, creek, etc.? That seems to be the only way these could be shot since you and others are solo. But then this must add so much more time into your hike and take a measure of your energy and momentum. I hate to ask this question lest I lift the curtain to show the works, but it's been bugging me on other similar videos as well. And secondly, your water from the various creeks--does your bottle have a filter in it? I know there are some water bottle filter systems that folks use, but I couldn't tell from the quick views. If not, then I suppose you are trusting these water sources. I had wondered about your food storage at night when I watched the video. I didn't read your text until I saw the video first. Then you mentioned the bear boxes. Aha! Thanks for sharing this inspiring journey with us. ~z

cascadia1000
cascadia

cascadia1000
cascadia
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 4:39 pm 
Thanks zephyr. The cap of the water bottle does indeed have a filter. It's a 1 Liter BeFree bottle. I've been using it on all my hikes for the last year. I was using the purification drops in the past, but I much prefer the BeFree. As for the filming, the camera is setup on a tripod for most of my shots. I do some handheld shots but not that many. Filming does add time but it combines two passions: hiking and photography/videography. There are some trips I bring the camera and other trips where I leave it at home. If I'm hiking with others or I want to do more mileage then I leave the camera at home.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 6:15 pm 
Thank you for getting back. In my opinion that takes a whole lot of dedication and love of the art to hike and film like that. I am lucky just to be able to cover any distance and occasionally pull out my cell phone to grab a quick view. Just don't have energy to spare at this point. haha You definitely have all the various techniques dialed in to hike, camp, and record yourself in a smooth, capable manner. Great work. ~z

norman

norman
PostMon Jul 04, 2022 5:22 pm 
Nice trip for sure, excellent photography. I am interested in the tent you used and the pack? Thanks

cascadia1000
cascadia

cascadia1000
cascadia
PostMon Jul 04, 2022 5:42 pm 
Thanks Norman. The tent is a Solomid XL from Mountain Laurel Designs. I also use the matching inner net during bug season. To pitch it, I typically use my trekking poles in an inverted V-shape which is very stable. I didn't have my trekking poles on this trip since I was carrying a tripod, so I instead used a single carbon fiber pole to pitch the tent. The pack is a ULA Photon made in Xpac fabric. I've only used this on a couple trips so far but so far I like the pack for shorter trips like this one. BTW, If you go to my channel, I've posted some videos on the gear I use. Also, here is my lighter pack page which details just about all the gear I use. Gear List Hope that helps smile.gif