Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fifes Peaks (West) - 6.25.22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jun 26, 2022 7:36 pm 
I haven't written a TR in a while. Matt and I wanted to find a non-dumpster dive, Class Dog scramble with no crowds and decent views. We managed to find one with the west peak of Fifes Peaks (6,880+). I have driven by the pullout many times before on my way to and from Dani's family cabin, but don't recall ever stopping. Now I have. The beginning of Crow Lake Way Trail was a little difficult to find buried under some deadfall, but soon enough we were past that and headed into a partially burned forest. There were a few downed trees to navigate on the way, but nothing serious. The views opened up a little as we gained the ridge, and soon enough we would see our destination as well as the more imposing looking East Peak. After we left the trail ~5,800' some fairly easy cross-country travel ensued. At times there was almost a bootpath, other times we appeared to be following game trails. There were a couple gullies that had been scoured to a much harder surface. I had a bit of difficulty with one gully in particular, but Matt and the dogs crossed easily. We then gained the ridge and traversed to the western edge of the summit block. A wide ramp provided access to a couple easier looking options. We took the longer but not as loose eastern option on the ascent, and took shorter but looser western option on the descent. After another short scramble section above (Class 2), it was a fairly short walk to the summit. The summit register was found easily, and there was even a tree at the top to provide Kimtah with a shady spot for one of her Kim-ball naps. I managed to send an inReach message to Dani telling her that we were on the summit. Her response was 'Cool.' It wasn't exactly cool, but it wasn't too hot either with a nice breeze. We could see the big five Washington volcanoes from the top, as well as many other peaks including the Stuart range, some of the Goat Rocks and the Aix/Bismarck Peak/Nelson Ridge area. After a nice break on top and some lunch, we turned around and headed down. The descent was mostly uneventful, and I passed the questionable gully with Matt and both dogs waiting patiently for me on the other side. We made it back to the parking lot to see the only people we'd seen all day, although none of them appeared to have actually hiked very far up the trail. Kimtah slept most of the drive back. I really need to teach her how to drive. Some photos:
Early forest
Early forest
Kimtah and Melica lead the way
Kimtah and Melica lead the way
Sharing a snow patch
Sharing a snow patch
Start of the off-trail travel
Start of the off-trail travel
Sniffing out the route
Sniffing out the route
Pilchuck makes an appearance
Pilchuck makes an appearance
Our goal was the gentler summit on the left
Our goal was the gentler summit on the left
Can we catch them, dad?
Can we catch them, dad?
Melica
Melica
She pulled me up the harder parts
She pulled me up the harder parts
Final slopes
Final slopes
So much snow that the lookout is still buried
So much snow that the lookout is still buried
She wanted to sign the register
She wanted to sign the register
Fifes Frogs
Fifes Frogs
Summit view
Summit view
Kim-ball
Kim-ball
Descent
Descent
Back on the ridge
Back on the ridge
Back into the forest
Back into the forest
Paintbrush
Paintbrush
A look back
A look back

Knows literally nothing

awilsondc, belowfellow, jaysway, raising3hikers, ejain
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jun 26, 2022 7:53 pm 
I looked at the map for Fifes Peaks. Did you climb the highpoint to the WNW of 6783’? The link is for Fifes Ridge but Fifes Peaks are on the same map. https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=18329

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jun 26, 2022 8:07 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
It looks like the west peak has an elevation of 6783’ on the map. Is that what you climbed?
No. 6,783 is the more imposing looking East (or Central in other sources) peak. We went up the slightly higher but significantly easier peak a bit to the west-northwest. Also on Peakbagger: https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=25570

Knows literally nothing
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jun 26, 2022 8:10 pm 
Thanks. I see it now. When I was in that area I climbed the highpoint of Fifes Ridge as it is a wilderness HP. I might go back to visit your peak.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 2:44 pm 
Great to see your name here again. I've been curious about Fifes for a long time so it was good to see some photos up close.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 2:51 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Great to see your name here again.
Exactly! And on Jasper's birthday to boot. smile.gif ~z

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 3:02 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I've been curious about Fifes for a long time so it was good to see some photos up close.
Sorry I didn't take many (any?) photos of the short scramble sections, but I was busy wrangling Kimtah and her leash. They are fairly obvious and not very long. As many times as I've driven by here since the late 90's, I'm surprised it took me this long to actually head up there.
zephyr wrote:
And on Jasper's birthday to boot.
Thanks for remembering! He's been gone for a little over three years now (darn dogs just never live long enough), but I think he would have liked this one. Or at least the treats he would have received on the summit. Also, something I found interesting: While packing for a weekend trip this past Friday afternoon, I realized that my trekking poles were gone. I thought that I must have left them at the trailhead for this trip. While on my way back Saturday afternoon, I decided to drive back over Chinook Pass and pull in just to take a look. Sure enough, my poles were still there after a week, although one was about 10 feet away with one of the sections pulled out. I put the removed section back in and all is well.

Knows literally nothing
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 4:18 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Sure enough, my poles were still there after a week, although one was about 10 feet away with one of the sections pulled out. I put the removed section back in and all is well.
Well now. You can't beat that with a stick! Awesome. ~z

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Jul 06, 2022 6:24 pm 
Thanks for this info/pics! We were on Goat Peak yesterday (the first time I've gone beyond Chinook Pass on 410 for a hike) and the Fifes Peak wall was impressive.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler