Forum Index > Gear Talk > Vietnam war era jungle boots and dealing with wet boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CS

CS
PostSun Jun 26, 2022 11:43 pm 
Thought this was interesting as to how the army dealt with wet boots… by backpacking standards they were way ahead, and still might be. Most of the points are where we landed with trail runners, but Im not sure actually putting a sponge like membrane specifically to expel water is standard in trail runners. (Forward to 1:44)

cdestroyer
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 6:25 am 
I had spike proof boots and they were super comfortable and easy to manage, clean,dry. I did my year 70-71 in the mekong delta

CS
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm 
CS wrote:
Thought this was interesting as to how the army dealt with wet boots… by backpacking standards they were way ahead, and still might be. Most of the points are where we landed with trail runners, but Im not sure actually putting a sponge like membrane specifically to expel water is standard in trail runners. (Forward to 1:44)
My dad brought a couple of pairs back with him from Vietnam, and I hiked in a pair for a few years. They were probably the best boots I've hiked in, and I mourned the day they wore out.

The only easy day was yesterday...

runup
runup

runup
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 12:47 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I had spike proof boots and they were super comfortable and easy to manage, clean,dry. I did my year 70-71 in the mekong delta
up.gif I wore those boots every day and many nights for twelve months in 1968/1969. They were great, no complaints.

schifferj

schifferj
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 8:51 am 
I wore these as "day boots" from '71 to "72. Because of the nylon bands at the top of the boot pilots were not allowed to wear these flying although many assumed the risk and did so. I sent a couple pairs home and used them for many years.

CS

CS
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:04 am 
What was the risk with the nylon bands? They could get caught on something?

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 10:55 am 
I had a pair I bought from an army surplus store back around 1972. Great for hiking in wet conditions, but (at least mine) were super slippery on ice, which was a big problem in Pullman in the winter months.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 6:32 pm 
Not a lot of ice in Nam but lot of wet!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Navy salad
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 8:24 pm 
I had a pair I brought back with me. I tried them for hiking and they did not work out. On the ones I had the tread was not very grippy at all compared to the regular vibram tread on my hiking boots. Maybe they were not all the same. Don’t know.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

CS
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:05 pm 
I never wore them. But there was a very long term Wilderness Ranger - a Vietnam Vet - who worked in the Pasayten for 20+ years from the mid 70s to at least the mid 90s (or so?), who wore nothing but and swore by them. He was known widely for his long distance walks. RIP Rob.

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 9:08 am 
Probably fire

CS
schifferj

schifferj
PostTue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 pm 
CS wrote:
What was the risk with the nylon bands? They could get caught on something?
In a fire they could melt to form a constricting band above the ankle. Considering the fact that we wore nomex flight suits and nomex gloves it really didn’t make a lot of sense to wear footgear was not designed to be fire resistant.

CS
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Jul 08, 2022 12:16 am 
What you look for in a boot is: A. It's footprint size!!! The sheer breadth of a boot will get ya more traction. B. BIG soles. Bigger the better! C. A nice big tongue. D. Decent-sized laces!!!! Don't skimp you want em decently large. E. Extra padding round all the sides. Quality boot will have several layers of THICK material around the whole boot. Adds extra width to give the shoe a "bigger" feel.

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jul 08, 2022 12:58 am 
I have a friend that was in 'Nam and he has a involuntary twitch in his neck, a bit like Parkinson's, but Doc's say he doesn't have that, so he is undergoing some cognitive and motor skills tests to see if his condition might be related to the use of Agent Orange. He thinks it could be related to all the weed he smoked there that could have been sprayed, but who knows. smoker.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
salish

salish
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 10:32 am 
I had a pair in 1973 from an army surplus store. I used them primarily for wet wading in creeks while fly fishing, but I also just wore them a lot in general. They were good, but if I didn't get the right types of socks in the right sizes, the boots gave me blisters, more so than regular boots.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.