Forum Index > Trail Talk > Drive up to Johnston Ridge Observatory before surnise?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Jul 09, 2022 10:23 am 
Hey, all. The website is not very clear on whether the 504 is gated during the night. I see references to "During daylight hours". Is it accurate that you cannot drive up before sunrise? This seems inconsistent with some sunrise photographer comments I've read. I tried to call, but nobody is picking up. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bk

bk
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 6:14 am 
Good question. Searching around doesn't reveal much. Wouldn't it be fair to assume hikers with camping permits could launch their trips from that parking lot? So it would be reasonable for some cars to be there many days-and-nights in a row, right? They don't make a habit of locking / trapping cars in parks, do they? (Or do they?) - - - - - - [edited to add, below] A search for: "johnston ridge observatory" "middle of the night" ...brings up two nighttime visit stories: 1) https://www.reddit.com/r/Washington/comments/uup3ic/i_made_a_quick_trip_out_to_mount_st_helens_last/ 2) https://faceofthedeep.com/2019/11/27/summer-2019-road-trip-to-the-pacific-northwest-part-iv/?v=7516fd43adaa [The story/paragraph titled, "Middle of the Night in the Middle of Nowhere"]

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 9:33 am 
It's not gated at night. I've been up in the wee hours of the morning a couple times. All facilities are closed, but you can park and hit the trail.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 9:46 am 
Thanks both! Very helpful smile.gif