Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin inReach Mini 2 - New & Inproved
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Feb 02, 2022 9:17 pm 
Garmin has updated the inReach Mini and increased the price by $50. If you have the original, it is likely not worth upgrading but I'll let you decide. Suppoed better battery life and ease of use. Then again, you might find people wanting to sell their old ones at a steep discount in order to upgrade. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:56 pm 
I can’t figure out how to get mine to work and I have two masters degrees. Not that necessarily means anything but…..?

RumiDude
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 12:55 pm 
Garmin makes good working stuff but almost all of it is not user friendly. It boggles the imagination how convoluted the user experience is from a company that should be able to fix that issue. I feel for you. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 1:37 pm 
My InReach has been unable to retrieve a weather report the last two trips I've been out because I hit some arbitrary limit on requested locations and it wants me to delete one before I can request again. But I can't figure out how to do it and I keep forgetting to look it up when I get back to society. I'll probably forget again.

domaz

domaz
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 11:05 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
I can’t figure out how to get mine to work and I have two masters degrees. Not that necessarily means anything but…..?
Are you using it paired with a phone or trying to use the actual device for everything? If the latter.. well don't do that, pairing with a phone and using it to send messages is very easy. The Garmin Inreach app has decent trail maps you can download to, good enough to not bother using Gaia or some other app for me.

CS

CS
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 11:24 am 
zimmertr wrote:
My InReach has been unable to retrieve a weather report the last two trips I've been out because I hit some arbitrary limit on requested locations and it wants me to delete one before I can request again. But I can't figure out how to do it and I keep forgetting to look it up when I get back to society. I'll probably forget again.
This is the kind of dumb stuff I always run into, works just enough to mark a feature ticket done, the ol’ 80% of the time it works 100%. My Garmin watch has this ridiculous bug where it gets stuck on parts of a map: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/292304/location-arrow-gets-stuck-during-hikes

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 9:13 am 
What happens if you remove the map page from the hike profile when that bug shows up, and then add it back?

CS

CS
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 12:00 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
What happens if you remove the map page from the hike profile when that bug shows up, and then add it back?
I haven’t tried that, but yeah it seems to be Garmin snaps the arrow to the closest road, and walking across Gazzam Lake Nature Preserve confused it when entering and leaving due to the transitions between road and trail. I haven't noticed this specific issue with my InReach tho.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 3:42 pm 
I misunderstood. If it's snapping (I thought it just ... became wrong at some point) look through the map and nav settings, I think there's something you can turn off for that.

schifferj

schifferj
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 3:24 pm 
Saw these at Spokane Costco for $299 - looked like a good deal and apparently it is as everywhere else I look they're $399. Think I'm going to go back and get one.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 3:31 pm 
CS wrote:
zimmertr wrote:
This is the kind of dumb stuff I always run into, works just enough to mark a feature ticket done, the ol’ 80% of the time it works 100%. My Garmin watch has this ridiculous bug where it gets stuck on parts of a map: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/292304/location-arrow-gets-stuck-during-hikes
FYI I finally googled it and the info in their docs (exactly what I tried anyway) didn't work. I ended up having to use the Earthmate app on my phone to delete them.

CS

CS
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 3:39 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
CS wrote:
zimmertr wrote:
FYI I finally googled it and the info in their docs (exactly what I tried anyway) didn't work. I ended up having to use the Earthmate app on my phone to delete them.
down.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Saw these at Spokane Costco for $299 - looked like a good deal and apparently it is as everywhere else I look they're $399. Think I'm going to go back and get one.
The ones at Costco are the prior version. Still a good deal vs. Amazon currently selling the older model for ~$329: https://a.co/d/jkwRbp0 (retail is $349)

CS

CS
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 4:34 pm 
I went to send a message over the weekend using Earthmate and suddenly it said it couldn't find my InReach Mini 1 from one day to the next. No idea, but it's good you can use it directly to send messages even if it's a rough ui.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 4:41 pm 
Is it the new mini 2 with the USB C connection? If so you can only connect to them with the newer Garmin Explore app. They don't work with the old original EarthMate app.