Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > First image released from Webb telescope
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 5:14 pm 
A galaxy cluster from 4.6 billion years ago, seen in infrared. The gravitational lensing is pretty trippy! https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-delivers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

bk, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 10:49 pm 
Quote:
Webb’s image covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground
eek.gif

rocknclimb
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 10:19 am 
https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/07/the-other-firsts-the-rest-of-the-first-five-webb-telescope-images/ The mid-infrared image of the Southern Ring Nebula showing both binary stars in the middle is pretty amazing.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 11:13 pm 
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-reveals-cosmic-cliffs-glittering-landscape-of-star-birth On NASA's website you can pull the full size picture of the Carina nebula and it's pretty mesmerizing to look at enlarged and zooming further in. All of the zillions of dots are other stars. It's 7600 light years away, so the light captured in the photo was emitted when organized human civilization barely existed. There is so much stupid nonsense happening in the world all the time, and we get so caught up in it. But meanwhile we sent a camera into space and it took a beautiful picture of stars.

Cyclopath  Anne Elk
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 4:59 am 
Bosterson wrote:
There is so much stupid nonsense happening in the world all the time, and we get so caught up in it. But meanwhile we sent a camera into space and it took a beautiful picture of stars.
Yes, that. I'm impressed that we have become 'smart enough' to look so closely at all those stars that God put up for us to look at. But, I'm not impressed about all the worldwide squabbling that we seem to find so important. Nice post, Bosterson. Cool pictures and articles. up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 6:58 am 
I dare say that the word 'stars' is incorrect. all those millions of lights are actually other galaxies with billions of stars in them. When looked at in that way it is a bit more mind boggling to realize there are so many and that it is barely a pinch of what the universe really looks like. If I digress here and say that with "star trek" speeds it would probably take months to get to some of those distant galaxies and then the question to be asked is? is there any more....from the movie serenity" I have been to the edge of space,,,it just looked like more space"

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
I dare say that the word 'stars' is incorrect. all those millions of lights are actually other galaxies with billions of stars in them.
That's true of some of the other photos (like the first deep space one), but not this photo. The Carina nebula is a bubble of gas with a bunch of energetic young stars in the middle, which are emitting UV and other radiation that is eroding and pushing the gas out from the center (center would be beyond the top of this photo), and as that happens the gas compresses and collapses into new stars. Nebulae are star nurseries; all the dots in this picture are stars. (The closer and brighter ones have the distinctive 6 pointed starburst that Webb images will have due to the mirror shape, vs 4 points in Hubble images.) But yes, in the other pictures where the background is galaxies, it does break your brain a bit to contemplate how enormous everything is and how small we are.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 12:02 pm 
actually I was referring to the webb photo but there doesnt seem to be a way to post directly behind another post when someone else posted inbetween, and I hate taking up hard drive space by copying the whole post to insert it in mine. and yes most nebulaei are star nurseries