Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spectacle Lake, July 8-9th 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 8:41 pm 
Somehow in my many years of backpacking I've never made it to Spectacle Lake, just walked past it on the PCT. I've been waiting too long to camp at a melted-lake this year and with a Friday off work decided to head up to Spectacle Lake. The road to Pete Lake trailhead is fine for all vehicles and wasn't too crowded early on a Friday morning. Bugs were some what annoying for the first few miles but not bad at Pete Lake. Forded Lemah creek shortly beyond Pete Lake. It was above knee deep, fairly swift, and ice cold. Not too bad if you have some experience with water crossings. It's actually two fairly short crossings with a gravel-bar in between right now. Alternatively one can continue up the PCT and cross at the site of a broken bridge on a small bark-free log so pick your poison. Trail is in good shape up to Delate Meadows with some minor burned blow downs. About a half mile before the Delate Creek bridge two trees have fallen opposite eachother lengthwise on the trail creating a real mess. It's not hard to get through with care though. One or two more of these before Spectacle Lake, along with two small snow crossings that may be gone already. I didn't bring spikes and didn't need them. A few small snow patches in shaded areas at Spectacle Lake but nothing bad. The lake and campsites are melted out. I had it to myself for about an hour with my early start before other groups started arriving. I claimed a great site with a view and a nice log. Most sites are on the rock peninsula of the lake but there are a few more on the eastern side with more privacy. In the end I think there were about 16 people total on a Friday night. Breezy afternoon that died down around sunset for a pleasant evening. Bugs were not bad at all but the damp ground made for a lot of condensation. I spent many hours relaxed on a pleasantly sloped rock watching clouds and listening to podcasts. Calm and nice overnight gave way to glassy water in the morning. I packed out early before the other campers awoke to beat the heat. Also of note the box-toilet has been smashed so be prepared to dig a cat hole (preferably not anywhere near the campsites, gross!). Lots of people heading into Pete Lake and beyond on my descent. I returned via the PCT for variety, which adds about 1.3 miles total but is a bit more scenic I think. Good combo anyway. Great to finally make it here and see a non-frozen lake this season!

resilient, MangyMarmot, Backpacker Joe, ALW Hiker, zimmertr, Randito, Prosit, contour5, Slim, awilsondc, Bowregard, Now I Fly, rubywrangler, Bootpathguy, reststep, jaysway, HikingBex  kite
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ThinAir

ThinAir
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 9:09 pm 
I went there just over a year ago and was considering going back at some point this year. Did you say there is a log where the bridge used to be at Lemah Creek? There wasn't anything before and I had to backtrack to the spot that people ford at. However, I was able to find 2 logs to cross. In order to get to them you have to walk through the brush a little upstream. Also, is the bridge in the second picture just below Spectacle Lake on Delate Creek? That wasn't there last year and I had to go up on the north side of the creek. There used to be a trail there but it seems that it's not maintained anymore. Between that and the fact that there was still quite a bit of snow made the trek pretty obnoxious.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 9:51 am 
Yes, the log crossing photo is on the PCT where the bridge used to cross Lemah Creek. You have to scramble down the slope a bit to get there but it's a decent enough log. I also read in a WTA report there is another log at the ford just upstream. I didn't see this but also didn't look. The bridge photo is on Delate Creek below Spectacle Lake. There were signs that the bridge-deck was replaced at the end of 2021.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 10:56 am 
Great pics Ops. Beautiful area to be sure.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln