Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hot.choss

hot.choss
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 6:34 am 
6/23-26 Snow camped in Glacier Basin for two nights and climbed Cadet & Monte Cristo Peak. Stunning area in prime conditions. Snow encountered around 4500' and was melting away incredibly fast.

awilsondc, Fedor
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 8:15 pm 
My wife and I took a lazy hike today. We hiked into Little 3 Creeks Lake, tucked up under McCarther Rim about 15 miles south of Sisters, Oregon. We drove to 3 Creeks Lake and left at the end of the road that goes along the north edge of the lake. It is an easy 1.5 +- hike to our destination. Several things struck us as strange. The road up turns to Forest Service several miles south of Sisters and is paved until about 4 or 5 miles short of the lake. The road doesn't look like it has been maintained for years. Some potholes have been filled but many serious ones still lurk. After the road turns to gravel it really goes downhill maintenance wise. The road is partly gravel, cinders, dirt and exposed rock. Again, it hasn't seen a grader or fresh gravel or cinders in years. Two of the newer concrete potties were both locked. We finally found an old wooden pit toilet still open, because it couldn't be locked. When we got to the trail head, there was no evidence of where the trail began. We have hiked this trail for years with kids and grandkids and we still had to debate as to where the trail began, Like I mentioned we have been up to and camped and hiked there for years. The hike to the top of McCarther rim is spectacular and was evident by the number of cars and people camped around the lake. I don't understand why such a popular spot gets so little attention. Is it lack money or are they trying to discourage people from going there in order to reduce the pressure?
We have had friends turn around because of the road conditions. Have any of you found similar situations in some of the more popular destinations?

JimK
Fedor

Fedor
PostSun Jul 10, 2022 8:53 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Fedor - it looks like you went up staying away from the creek bed but on the way down stayed closer to it. Which was better? I've thought about exploring up this way. What caused you to turn around where you did - steepness? time? something else? Most of all, any photos? Your route up passed by the toe of a big 2009 landslide in that area.
Route on Google Earth vs 2009 landslide
Route on Google Earth vs 2009 landslide
Puzzlr, I would say the way down was more efficient when I veered west following a dry stream bed, I would recommend following that as much as possible. After I crossed to the west side of Gifford Creek further down, the route was terrible. My route up featured some massive boulders that you were forced to work your way around and more mature forest than I found on the lower west side of the creek. I had some pretty scary postholing on the way down in the dark forest. Much prefer postholing in soft, forgiving snow. The rocks were very loose in the gully above the slide alder. My first time in a scree field. Not too bad ascending, but much more challenging and slow descending. My headlamp's batteries ran out and I didn't have my spare. Luckily I had barely made it down to the overgrown road, where my cell phone flashlight was sufficient for the two hour brush bash that laid ahead of me. Steepness, wetness, and lack of veggie belays forced me to turn around at ~3600'. I stubbornly tried and tried to get up for awhile. I honestly think I was two or three moves away from solid veggie belays and probably gaining that ridge. It seemed like there were only a few little trickles flowing. Just enough water to make that section too challenging for me. If the tiny streams do indeed dry out, I think that route could definitely be viable. It's an impressive area. Quite a rugged gully. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't make it higher. It would probably have been dangerous down climbing that in the dark. Starting the hike after 3PM was certainly a major mistake. As was wearing shorts and a t-shirt! The salmonberry bushes along Gifford Creek Road really scratched me up. I felt so naive. Good learning experience. My phone camera struggles with anything less than ideal lighting, so my photos aren't up to NWHikers standards. Hopefully you find some of that somewhat helpful. Thanks for the overlay picture of my route. Thanks for your inspiring trip reports as well. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8035660 for reference. https://caltopo.com/t/6H7L0UVG8B Gifford Creek approach to Russian Butte.
Surprisingly, the blowdowns were never a bother along the road. I quickly de-limbed a couple of them.
Surprisingly, the blowdowns were never a bother along the road. I quickly de-limbed a couple of them.
Got down to Gifford Creek here, a bit hard to figure out on my way back.
Got down to Gifford Creek here, a bit hard to figure out on my way back.
Maybe some of the 2009 landslide area?
Maybe some of the 2009 landslide area?
I dropped down here to avoid rocks. Made me realize I had been on unnecessarily steep terrain.
I dropped down here to avoid rocks. Made me realize I had been on unnecessarily steep terrain.
Turn around point, wetter/steeper than it looks.
Turn around point, wetter/steeper than it looks.
Dreading what lies below as darkness falls.
Dreading what lies below as darkness falls.

zimmertr, mosey
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 11:02 pm 
Thanks for the more detailed report and all the photos. That's a rare place to be so the photos are more special. I'm not sure I have the energy to tackle that area anymore, but I enjoyed seeing what you saw. What is that last photo? It look organic and big.

dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 9:41 am 

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 8:30 am 
Launched myself on a hike up the Upper Mad River. frown.gif The road to Maverick Saddle is in rough shape, with one boulder on the road - with a sheer drop off - that would be a real challenge for a dualie. The Upper Mad River trail is in great shape and logged out, right up until it isn't. We made it to the Jimmy Creek junction across the river just fine, and maybe a mile farther. From that point, we entered an area that apparently saw a derecho type event. About half the trees were down, many of them in epic, impassible snarls. We made it probably less than 1/4 mile before bailing. We flailed a bit trying to get back out to the trail, having lost the squirm route we took getting there. Even with a lot of cutting having already been done, it will take a lot more work to restore this trail.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

fourteen410
rossb

rossb
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 4:26 pm 
Hiked Frog Mountain on Wednesday. Parked at Jack's Pass, but otherwise the trail is done. Just walk the road and look for the trail in the gravel pit (just a few feet up the road, heading the same direction as the road). Trail is in good shape. No snow except for a tiny patch up above. You may find snow (for your beer, etc.) by continuing east from the top (through the brush) for a little ways, otherwise it is dry.

dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 5:13 pm 
one worker, two foremen
one worker, two foremen

HikingBex
Fedor

Fedor
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 6:36 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Thanks for the more detailed report and all the photos. That's a rare place to be so the photos are more special. I'm not sure I have the energy to tackle that area anymore, but I enjoyed seeing what you saw. What is that last photo? It look organic and big.
I don't like being turned away, it really seems to stick in my craw. So I think I'll give it another go with an earlier start time. Possibly a machete as well. I'd like to seek out some more of those rare places and novel approaches that are close to home. The last picture is a large, fresh scat that looked like it contained fir needles and hair. Not sure what animal produced that. I made it up Revolution Peak a few days ago and don't think I want to go that way to Russian Butte. Took the long talus field south of Zorro Point up, then ran the easy ridge to Thompson. Swarming flies were bad there, couldn't relax. The ridge up to Revolution went surprisingly quickly. Horrible mistake dropping off of the ridge trying to traverse to the lower short spur road below Thompson on the way back. Much prefer the fun ridge to that. GPS track: https://caltopo.com/t/92HVJ5B6LS

awilsondc
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jul 15, 2022 4:58 pm 
dkemp wrote:
one worker, two foremen
one worker, two foremen
Hey dkemp. Looks like a beautiful day up there. Is this boulder sitting on the access road or part of the trail? Are you able to drive up all the way to the TH? Sure looks like the road is blocked. And how was the lingering snowfield on the other side? Were you able to make it to the true summit? I recall snow being quite heavy up there the time I went (years ago). Ice axes were useful crossing the snow too. There was a long run out. ~z

dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostSat Jul 16, 2022 7:17 am 
zephyr wrote:
Hey dkemp. Looks like a beautiful day up there. Is this boulder sitting on the access road or part of the trail? Are you able to drive up all the way to the TH? Sure looks like the road is blocked. And how was the lingering snowfield on the other side? Were you able to make it to the true summit? I recall snow being quite heavy up there the time I went (years ago). Ice axes were useful crossing the snow too. There was a long run out. ~z
This boulder blocks the road less than a tenth of a mile from the trailhead. A smaller one blocks the road a bit further back. Most were parking at the hairpin before the boulders. Rough road. We did not go to the summit due to snow - we lacked gear and skills and parental permission - but we saw other hikers doing it. We shared the obvious lunch spot with 90 per cent of the folks up there. It was joyful.

dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostSat Jul 16, 2022 7:29 am 
dkemp wrote:
This boulder blocks the road.
We pondered what the heck they're going to do with that boulder. Blow it up? Trundle it down? It would be fun to watch!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 16, 2022 9:07 am 
dkemp wrote:
This boulder blocks the road less than a tenth of a mile from the trailhead. A smaller one blocks the road a bit further back. Most were parking at the hairpin before the boulders. Rough road. We did not go to the summit due to snow - we lacked gear and skills and parental permission - but we saw other hikers doing it. We shared the obvious lunch spot with 90 per cent of the folks up there. It was joyful.
Thanks so much for the beta. Yes, hiking up to the summit of Sauk can be precarious before the snow melts out. Good call. But there's still a lot to see and enjoy on the approach side before the snow. ~z

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 12:01 am 
Hiked the Loowit Trail with Neek today. 10/10
Neek is fast

Flickr | Strava

contour5, RichP, jaysway, Anne Elk, Now I Fly, awilsondc, neek
RichP