Forum Index > Trail Talk > Advice for walk-up permit strategy for North Cascades National Park Cascade Pass - Stehekin One-Way
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

What's the most convenient way to score a walk up permit for Friday that might also be successful?
Round trip to Marblemount Ranger Station on Wednesday, August 3rd
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Early Thursday am drive up to Marblemount
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Late Thursday drive up to Marblemount
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Find someone else here who's willing to add 2 persons to their Friday night itinerary?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

anitalgray76
AnitaG

anitalgray76
AnitaG
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 12:42 am 
Hello! So - anyone who's considered hiking from the Cascade River Road to Stehekin one-way knows that it is a logistical nightmare. This is made worse by the fact that if permits couldn't be secured ahead of time via recreation.gov - then every other logistical arrangement hinges on getting the dreaded walk up permit 24 hours ahead of one's departure. So far, I have managed to secure: Reservations/backcountry permits for: Mineral Campground Thursday, August 4th Park Creek Camp for Saturday night August 6th Tumwater for Sunday night - Sunday August 7th Bus ticket from High Bridge to Stehekin - Monday August 8th Stehekin-Chelan Ferry Ticket for Monday August 8th I've also managed to find a few friends willing to do this trip in REVERSE and to do a key exchange so I'll drive THEIR car to Cascade River Road for them to hike back to, while they take my car to Field's Point in Chelan for me to drive home at the end of our trip. They have managed to secure permits for the entire weekend, in advance. As you can see - this ENTIRE ITINERARY hinges on my ability to score a permit for 2 on Friday, August 5th at either: Pelton Basin, Basin Creek or Cottonwood (last choice) - without this, the whole trip falls apart. Anyone here have any ideas? What's best: - Drive to Marblemount AND back at 3am on Wednesday, the 3rd to TRY and secure a permit for Friday night? - Drive to Marblemount early Thursday am and try to secure a Friday night permit (Boyfriend would have to drive out later that evening in a second vehicle as he has to work this day) - Both of us drive out all packed Thursday afternoon and TRY to score a permit for Friday night? - Anyone here planning on a similar itinerary who might be able to add 2 persons to their Friday night permit at either Pelton Basin, Basin Creek or Cottonwood? Advice is much appreciated!!

Anita Gray
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 7:43 am 
Haven't had to deal this year but are they still doing the ticket stub system? If so, drive out wednesday after work. Get stub after they close for day. Find place to crash. Get in line in morning, hope for the best. I'd give it 50/50. Everything seems to be booking up further and further in advance. At a minimum if you're not inline well before opening on Thursday morning your not getting a site for Friday night.

anitalgray76
gumby

gumby
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 11:20 am 
Quote:
Drive to Marblemount AND back at 3am on Wednesday, the 3rd to TRY and secure a permit for Friday night?
I was in a similar predicament in 2019 and basically did this: I drove up on the 2nd, slept in my car at Cascade Wagon Road Campground (it was pouring down rain the entire night). Made sure I was the first person in line at the Wilderness Information Center (got there a little before 5am?). I got the last available permit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

August die she must...

anitalgray76
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 12:53 pm 
Basin Creek is a really nice camp!

anitalgray76
uww

uww
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 2:29 pm 
Maybe I am missing something, but I am not sure what you would be attempting to do on Wednesday the 3rd at 3AM. I have always thought the earliest you could get walkup permit was the day before. That's what the website still says. What I have always done is be there early the day before I wanted to camp. So that would mean you want to be in line well before opening on Thursday the 4th shooting for a night of Friday the 5th permit. I would not chance Thursday afternoon with a lot to lose. The having to work/second vehicle thing is a bit confusing, but why don't you take the first vehicle and just get the permit early Thursday and then set up camp at Mineral creek in the afternoon? I will say to me it seems like the online reservation system has led to a lot of no-shows (as well as every single thing reservable getting snapped up immediately), so there are generally more walkup permits available then in years past. Not super helpful in your situation where you won't be there the day of your trip- but do keep trying online in case someone does cancel. I see car campgrounds half empty but all reserved a lot more these days.

anitalgray76
anitalgray76
AnitaG

anitalgray76
AnitaG
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 3:27 pm 
Thanks for your response. I already have a reservation for Mineral Creek for Thursday. and since that's the first night of the trip, technically I believe the "24 hours before" timeline would be Wednesday. Which means I can try and snag a permit for Friday on Wednesday and just drive the damn 8 hours round trip.

Anita Gray

gumby
uww

uww
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 6:03 pm 
Ok, I guess I am just confused about what you mean by Mineral Creek - I was thinking your first night was the 'regular' Mineral Park car campground... but with 20 closed around there for now who knows what is going on. Anyway, I see your confusion about 'entry dates' and start of trip. It is confusing. Your wilderness permit lists your entry date to the backcountry and not the date you get to the park. If you are camping at Mineral Park car campground, that is a regular frontcountry campground and you only need a camping reservation, not a wilderness permit for that. Your wilderness trip has not started until your entry date to the wilderness with the backcountry camp reservation night at Park Creek. Obviously I am confusing myself and possibly you. The real way to answer this question is to call the Wilderness Information Center and explain your situation and ask- this is kind of a mess with multiple permits but they should be able to straighten you out... though they probably won't give you an earlier entry date.

gumby, anitalgray76
anitalgray76
AnitaG

anitalgray76
AnitaG
PostThu Jul 14, 2022 6:18 pm 
That makes more sense. I guess if I wanted to be able to secure a permit for Friday night at Basin Creek/Pelton Basin or Cottonwood - I could ASK for Thursday night at Johanessburg (which does count for a wilderness backcountry permit) and that way could secure both permits on Wednesday am instead of chancing there being ANY permits for Friday left on Thursday. I will call and inquire about this...thanks!

Anita Gray
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 15, 2022 9:48 am 
J'berg is the worst camp in NCNP, but that should work. I don't think I'm fully understanding your question, and it sounds like it may be too late to be much help. But if you have C# skill I can give you some code you can use to find availability on recreation.gov.

anitalgray76
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 10:46 pm 
If you don't like the itineraries given I advise to just tell them what the deal is at the station. say look heres the deal I'm NOTIFYING you of where I'm gonna be goin!!!! That's what I did last time to get in at desired locales!!!

zimmertr, Cyclopath, mosey  awilsondc, SpookyKite89
anitalgray76
AnitaG

anitalgray76
AnitaG
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 9:19 am 
You said that to a Ranger and they issued you the permits?!

Anita Gray
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 9:46 am 
You have to understand Biggie here is a celebrity among rangers.

Slim
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Jul 20, 2022 4:07 pm 
I was just checking NCNP permits for kicks and remembered this thread. It looks like there is a permit available at Basin Creek on 8/5, I would grab it ASAP before it disappears.

anitalgray76
AnitaG

anitalgray76
AnitaG
PostWed Jul 20, 2022 4:30 pm 
Ugh I don't see it anymore!!!

Anita Gray
anitalgray76
AnitaG

anitalgray76
AnitaG
PostWed Jul 20, 2022 5:16 pm 
I managed to get it after all!!! Thank you so very much!!!

Anita Gray

Cyclopath, jaysway