Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chiwawa Basin-Red Mt. 7/15-17/2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 5:41 pm 
I have to admit this trip was inspired by one that cascadetraverser posted last year besides I had never been all the way up the Chiwawa and Steve wanted to check for old sheep camps and hike up to the Red Mt. mine. The trail is getting impassable by horse traffic and peakbaggers going to Fortress, Chiwawa, or Red have better ways in from the other side so there is not a lot of traffic in there now.
We met several parties, including a FS trail crew who told us Buck Creek is almost dangerous to cross now since it is very high just above a falls.
We met several parties, including a FS trail crew who told us Buck Creek is almost dangerous to cross now since it is very high just above a falls.
Don't go to Red on this trail-more on that below.
Don't go to Red on this trail-more on that below.
We camped in the basin near the main stream with great views.
Chiwawa from our camp
Chiwawa from our camp
Fortress from our camp
Fortress from our camp
view from our camp.
view from our camp.
Steve waded the river and explored some old camp and trail while I relaxed.
Steve heading off to explore.
Steve heading off to explore.
The next day we headed up to the Red Mt. mine via a shortcut trail that cuts off about 2 miles and was once an official trail on old maps.
Don't go to Red this way unless you like slide alder tunnels and high rushing water while you are at it.
Don't go to Red this way unless you like slide alder tunnels and high rushing water while you are at it.
better to use the short cut in blue on this map. It is actual gaia track I recorded.
better to use the short cut in blue on this map. It is actual gaia track I recorded.
The meadows on Red are blooming green and lots of glacier lilies.
lots of nice meadows on Red
lots of nice meadows on Red
meadows on Red
meadows on Red
more on Red
more on Red
The trail going over to Phelps Creek up on the flank of Red.
The trail going over to Phelps Creek up on the flank of Red.
Looking down on our camp from Red.
Looking down on our camp from Red.
The old road going out to the mine on Red.
The old road going out to the mine on Red.
The mine tailings can be seen at the bottom of the foreground slide and the mine portal is at the top of the slide. We didn't have ice axes so we didn't attempt to cross.
The mine tailings can be seen at the bottom of the foreground slide and the mine portal is at the top of the slide. We didn't have ice axes so we didn't attempt to cross.
Looking down the Chiwawa.
Looking down the Chiwawa.
It was a good trip. The trail has lots of soft brush and a few downfall but has been logged out about 1/3 of the way. In fact we met a two person FS crew cutting out logs on the Chiwawa trail because they didn't think it was a good idea to try and cross Buck Creek wih their equipment. The Trinity road is about the same as it has been.

Obi Tony Kenobi, silence, Get Out and Go, raising3hikers, contour5, dave allyn, ejain, RichP, rubywrangler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 5:50 pm 
Thanks a lot for this!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message