Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camp Robber Peak 6286' - July 17, 2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:28 am 
Paul invited me to join him for an ascent of Camp Robber in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. We started our hike just after 6am and used up about 12+ hours of daylight. The trail took us as far as Big Heart Lake, where we left it and traversed on some high benches below Peak 5560'.
Paul's recent photo of Camp Robber from Bald Eagle
Paul's recent photo of Camp Robber from Bald Eagle
obligatory
obligatory
The northeast ridge of Camp Robber presents no real difficulties, but the mega-talus was ensconced with soft and failing snow patches, which required special care. The stubborn cloud deck would not rise above 6000 feet on this day, so no summit views. But we were pleasantly surprised to find that the asshats who steal registers (only a recent WA phenomenon) have not ruined the history of this peak as of yet.
photo by Paul
photo by Paul
Paul had an idea for a few distance and energy saving route variations for the return. The first was a high traverse on steep snow ledges above cliffs. He said he was 90 percent sure it would go. The second was to pass through the saddle west of Peak 5560' and drop directly back to Little Heart Lake. I opted to try the second variation, but not the first and told him I would meet him at that saddle.
Big Heart
Big Heart
Paul's high traverse (photo by Paul)
5 labels
Paul's high traverse (photo by Paul)
While descending the northeast ridge, at one point I decided to try a different snow patch, which looked less steep than the one we came up. I walked a few paces off our track and the next thing I knew, I was suspended in a hole of unknown depth, with arms out and one leg dangling. After extricating myself, I decided to stick to our tracks for the remainder of the descent.
descending to Little Heart
descending to Little Heart
At the saddle, Paul said there was some steep snow on his route, and that he had only waited about 10 minutes for me. We descended to Little Heart Lake on more snow with surprise holes and I was glad to have Paul lead. At the lake, a light rain started, and then we had a bit of a surprise. The shore was interrupted by mossy wet cliffs. To return to the trail, we would have to walk through lake water. lol.gif
photo by Paul
photo by Paul
Copper Lake falls
Copper Lake falls

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

neek, Nancyann, RichP  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:36 am 
I really like that area. Fond memories of backpacking to Big Heart and climbing Atrium long before I even knew that peakbagging was.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 am 
Nice pic of the lake travel! smile.gif

Art is an adventure.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jul 18, 2022 5:35 pm 
That lake travel looks cold especially on that cloudy day. Nice job guys and cool to see a register 20+ yrs old still there

Eric Eames
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 7:34 am 
Nice job guys! You've been gettin it lately Adam! rocker.gif That peak looks fun, that's an area I really haven't tapped into yet. Nice to know that the "asshats" have let that one be! rotf.gif Thanks for the TR. cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 12:25 pm 
Nice. I did that little heart lakeshore on my CRP trip as well, but it was in late Sept and I think I stayed dry. Lake probably looses a few feet of water by then.