Forum Index > Trip Reports > DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT visit Carne Mountain or the vicinity in July...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thuja

thuja
PostFri Jul 15, 2022 10:06 am 
Unless you want to be drained of blood and driven to the point of insanity. I was devoured by clouds of ravenous zombie mosquitoes while attempting to backpack at Carne Mtn yesterday. Even way up on the ridge below Carne summit, surrounded by the late snow, the mosquitoes still swarmed. Trying to eat dinner with a bug shirt on, even one that covered my entire head with a zipper for eating, was insufferable. It was like something out of a horror movie. You would think the dozens of dead mosquito bodies littering my pants would discourage other mosquitoes from landing on me, but you would be wrong, wrong wrong. Blood! We must have blood! Scream the zombie mosquitoes as they seek out the weak spots in my bug armor and fling themselves at me repeatedly. I could clap my hands in the air in front of me and kill a mosquito every time but it didn't make a dent in the zombie horde. Ended up bailing and hiking out in the evening. Lots of blowdowns on the Carne mountain trail, but nothing that can't be navigated over, under or around. Trail is a bit brushy (what trail in the GPW isn't?) but otherwise in good shape. Plenty of water at Carne Mtn camp. Too much perhaps. Still lots of snow on the trail going up to the ridge and to the Carne summit. Had good views looking west towards Buck, Little Giant Pass, etc. So much snow still up there, it will be a while before it melts out.

ngie, ozzy, Now I Fly, Chief Joseph, SpookyKite89, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
philfort

philfort
PostFri Jul 15, 2022 11:34 am 
I've always wondered why the mosquitos seem so much worse on the east side... don't they like water?

SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostFri Jul 15, 2022 11:44 am 
eek.gif sounds awful. how was the road out there?

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Jul 16, 2022 7:57 pm 
rotf.gif that's f### awesome! Hans and I overnighted S. Spectacle butte the same day...I know your pain oh so well!! The skeeters were out in full force, they tore me up rather well but the wind picked up later in the evening forcing them out thank God! How can such pristine environments harbor such hordes!? dizzy.gif thanks for the good laugh and cheers!!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

Theboywhocriedroute
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 16, 2022 10:21 pm 
For every negative there is a positive....if you are near a lake, mass mozzies usually means good fishing and they keep me moving on the trail when I am frickin' exhausted, which is frequently.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

ozzy
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 2:41 am 
There is nothing positive about swarms of mosquitoes.

Obi Tony Kenobi
gb

gb
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 8:05 am 
Just wait a week. It gets pretty warm this week, and then looks to get hot the end of the month. A good time should be had by all......mosquitoes and black flies, horse flies, etc. We have been lucky so far.

dixon
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 1:45 pm 
We saw this guy at Big Gee. He's big enough to take an arm off.
Huge fly
Huge fly

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 6:29 am 
Look up: Alpine Snowmelt Mosquito, Aedes pullatus. The hiking glee of melted out trails has its demons!

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark

ozzy
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 1:01 pm 
Mosquitoes out of Lake Wenatchee during meltout...I seem to think I have experienced this crazyness several times. Good reminder. up.gif