Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mineral City, Index Wa
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake

Jake
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:50 am 
Skip, The picture in Discovering Washington's Historic Mines volume 1 is of the Mineral City Hotel. The sign on the building says Mineral City Hoetl. (their spelling. Not mine) Kind of funny. I think we have a picture of the Galena Hotel in there too. I think that cable you speak of in Red Gulch was the one that ran from the area of the bulldozer up canyon. It was still hung high above the gulch when I was last there. One of the tunnels had a wooden wheelbarrow still in it. I spent a lot of time up Silver Creek from my highschool days to the early 80s.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikesume

Hikesume
PostSun Jul 21, 2019 9:53 pm 
Hey Jake, The cable is about 1/5 mile inland from Red Gulch - high above the area where the dozer is - at the base of a rock cliff. It appears to be installed as the only known passage to summit the red gulch area - Atleast From what I can tell. My brother (who shares your name actually) and I plan I’m making another attempt at this fall. See You On The Trail! -Skip

"May your Mines be Deep and Dark." - Straight Up Mining Explorations (Dedicated to the Research and Preservation of the Silver Creek/Mineral City areas)
Jake

Jake
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 6:09 am 
May be the same cable I remember Skip. It's been a boatload of years since I was up Red Gulch. Have you been to the crystal beds?

Hikesume

Hikesume
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 6:22 am 
Hey Jake! Just figured out who you are!! Lol (we emailed each other like 13 years ago!!) time flies, eh?? I just PM’d you about the Crystal Beds! Great to hear from ya! See You On The Trail! -Skip

"May your Mines be Deep and Dark." - Straight Up Mining Explorations (Dedicated to the Research and Preservation of the Silver Creek/Mineral City areas)
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 2:00 pm 
Hikesume wrote:
Hey Jake! Just figured out who you are!! Lol (we emailed each other like 13 years ago!!) time flies, eh?? I just PM’d you about the Crystal Beds! Great to hear from ya! See You On The Trail! -Skip
Never heard of the crystal beds. I've been across from red gulch multiple times years ago on the trail. I was in love with that area for years. Made my way to that cabin that was out in that area too. We always called it the mineral hilton, as it was inscribed inside. Found a nice crystal and silver piece on the waterfall crossing across from red gulch. I'd appreciate any info on the crystal beds if you are willing to share. Give me a reason to head back out there.

none
Hikesume

Hikesume
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 2:08 pm 
Yes! The Mineral Hilton is on that same property - across from Mollydendum Gulch - unfortunately it collapsed in 2015 or 2016 I think? My friend Alan now owns that property. Can’t share much on the crystal beds as I mistakenly said too much before. But they are real and located in the Red Gulch area.

Jake

Jake
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 2:21 pm 
Hi Jordan, I wish I could help, but many, many years ago we were exploring the Red Gulch area for volume 1, of Discovering Washington's Historic Mines when three men walked up the trail and said they were on the way to the crystal beds above Red Gulch. I'm sorry to say I blew it off because we had a busy day ahead of us gathering mine information. They must have been serious because they were all carrying some hefty canvas bags.

Hikesume
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 4:21 pm 
Hikesume wrote:
Yes! The Mineral Hilton is on that same property - across from Mollydendum Gulch - unfortunately it collapsed in 2015 or 2016 I think? My friend Alan now owns that property. Can’t share much on the crystal beds as I mistakenly said too much before. But they are real and located in the Red Gulch area.
Really cool that stuff is in our area. I appreciate it.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 4:26 pm 
Jake wrote:
Hi Jordan, I wish I could help, but many, many years ago we were exploring the Red Gulch area for volume 1, of Discovering Washington's Historic Mines when three men walked up the trail and said they were on the way to the crystal beds above Red Gulch. I'm sorry to say I blew it off because we had a busy day ahead of us gathering mine information. They must have been serious because they were all carrying some hefty canvas bags.
A buddy I brought up to the area really got into researching and looking for the mines back in the early 2000's. Maybe he read your book. The guy was so dedicated he once road the bus, with his bike, from Shoreline to as far out as they traveled down hwy 2 back then. Then rode his bike the rest of the way for a four day exploration of the area. Said he found a few off the beaten path. Thanks again

none

Hikesume
Jake

Jake
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 4:30 pm 
Although the mines up there never produced much, the miners really did a lot of digging for minerals. It's quite a historic area.