Forum Index > Trail Talk > Advice for walk-up permit strategy for North Cascades National Park Cascade Pass - Stehekin One-Way
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

What's the most convenient way to score a walk up permit for Friday that might also be successful?
Round trip to Marblemount Ranger Station on Wednesday, August 3rd
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Early Thursday am drive up to Marblemount
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Late Thursday drive up to Marblemount
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Find someone else here who's willing to add 2 persons to their Friday night itinerary?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 3:24 pm 
Glad to hear it. Have a great trip! That's one I would like to do some day, and like you outline the hardest part is figuring out the logistics. Consider writing a trip report here once your trip is over.

anitalgray76
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
anitalgray76
AnitaG

anitalgray76
AnitaG
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 5:42 pm 
Will do, thank you again!! Still need to secure permits for our friends going in the opposite direction but that'll be easier as they allow permits to be issued via email if entering the park via Stehekin ❤️

Anita Gray
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 8:18 am 
My first experience with the NCNP permitting system, back in 1973, was also my most memorable…a true classic. We were in line for a permit to do WR Forbidden behind two climbers who hoped to park at the Cascade Pass trailhead, cross the creek and bivouac at the base of the N face of Joberg, the better to get an early start on that climb. Unfortunately their desired bivy site fell in a zone that was already full due to some geographic quirk, and, even more unfortunately the permit ranger had apparently graduated high school in Nebraska the previous week and had not yet been taught the meaning of contour lines on maps. And so, as jaws dropped around the counter, the would be Joberg climbers were informed with a straight face that room was available in the Boston Basin zone…only an inch or two away on the map…meaning that they could park, ascend to Boston Basin to sleep, and in the morning descend past their car and ascend the opposite side of. the valley to begin their climb. I am not making this up, and I do not remember the outcome; laws may have been broken.

anitalgray76