Forum Index > Trail Talk > Icicle bridges out, fordable??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blister

Blister
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 9:21 pm 
There are 2 bridges out on the icicle stem. I will call FS in leavenworth. However, in late august is a ford possible in low flow? Have a friend in Leavenworth and was going to have the spouse drop me at tunnel creek. Head over to chain and doelle lakes and then out icicle being picked up there. I know there are routes that could still get me there, but this is what I hoped to do. Are the terrain (canyon) issues ruling out a ford, or just high water? I'm willing to get hip deep, not swept away. To that end, is the upper icicle really a trail at this point or just a suggestion? Any recon or opinions?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 7:56 am 
I walked up to the French creek crossing several times last year. There were cars parked at the trailhead but no sign of anyone. I assume they were able to cross. It is possible to cross the bridge on the high side but looks terrifying to me. Water levels have dropped considerably the last few weeks, it may well be fordable. I don't know how the bridge by Frosty creek trail did this winter but pictures from last year looked crossable. By end of August flows should be pretty low. You might consider that the route from Frosty pass to Chatter Creek trail is more scenic than Frosty and Icicle creek trails

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 2:27 pm 
I walked up to the damaged bridge again this morning. People have been crossing it, but I don't think I want to.
Looking at the ford, it looks too fast for me. However, as I was resting on the way out a fellow passed by coming down. Him and his friends crossed on a large stable log jam 1/3 mile upstream. Bushwacking of course. Trail is directly across, no more Bushwacking.

ejain
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 2:49 pm 
dave allyn wrote:
Trail is directly across, no more Bushwacking.
So, is there a semi-official bootpath going up and across, or is it now a semi-clandestine route? Anyway, this is good news. French Cr. was the bigger problem of the two. And that opens up the French Cr. valley. The Icicle river crossing 5 miles up is a rather easy ford later in the summer.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 1:03 pm 
My daughter wanted to go on a hike around Leavenworth today so I suggested checking out the log jam crossing on French Creek Dave Allyn mentioned. There are a couple of single logs across French Cr. just above the collapsed bridge but you would have to be a dedicated log walker to cross them. The log jam is about a third of a mile up stream and requires some brush bashing to get there but is very crossable. Also, it puts you out right on the French Creek valley trail.
down bridge.
down bridge.
log jam
log jam
log jam
log jam
log jam
log jam
log jam
log jam

jeffcpa

jeffcpa
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 2:10 pm 
It is fordable as we did it yesterday...

Chief Joseph