timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 12:42 pm 
Dave that will go over as well as a turd in the pool with some people on here

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Sep 02, 2021 6:26 pm 
It's that time of year, again. Archery seasons are opening up but grouse hunting has been delayed until Sept. 15 this year. The general deer hunting opener is Oct. 16. For those who might be interested whether they will run into a hunter, stop at the local hardware or sporting goods store where hunting and fishing licenses are sold and pick up a copy of the hunting regulations. wink.gif Stay safe, let people know where you're going and when you expect to return. up.gif This time of year I always chuckle a bit remembering all the people who thought my fluorescent orange pack was silly. Not if you want to be seen, especially from a great distance.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

2manyhobbies
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:47 pm 
pcg wrote:
I'm curious. With all the talk about the need to carry a firearm for protection... has anyone here ever actually needed it to protect themselves from another human, or does anyone here even know someone who used a firearm to protect themselves from another human. I'm not talking about what you imagine, I'm talking about the real world. Do you really need to carry a gun while hiking?
Yes Yes and Yes (but this is a personal choice; those who decide otherwise are okay with me)

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:51 pm 
Hunted and hiked the burn area north of Sugarloaf lookout northeast of Leavenworth. Heartbreaking to see the burn damage but encouraging to see how well the reprod is growing. We went all the way north to Maverick Saddle. Still very dry up there despite the rain. For those heading to higher elevations, prep for early snow. It's likely to come fast, stay long. wink.gif

RichP
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 9:37 am 
Another Darwin award candidate. Surprised we haven't lost more people off of Rattlesnake Ledges... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/hiker-death-selfie-arizona

Dave Weyrick
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue May 03, 2022 7:30 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
Another Darwin award candidate. Surprised we haven't lost more people off of Rattlesnake Ledges... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/hiker-death-selfie-arizona
I just read the story and this jumped off the screen: "Hiker deaths are rare but often tragic. In December, California investigators determined that a couple died from heat and dehydration while attempting to save their daughter in August." eek.gif rolleyes.gif Just when are hiker deaths not tragic? shakehead.gif confused.gif

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Jun 23, 2022 11:27 am 
pcg wrote:
I'm curious. With all the talk about the need to carry a firearm for protection... has anyone here ever actually needed it to protect themselves from another human, or does anyone here even know someone who used a firearm to protect themselves from another human. I'm not talking about what you imagine, I'm talking about the real world. Do you really need to carry a gun while hiking? I'm specifying human because, from everything I've read and from experts I've talked to, guns aren't necessary to protect folks from animals in the PNW. Bear spray is more effective and also avoids injuring the animal. So... convince me.
Here ya go: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf Excerpt: "The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not “a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.” McDonald, 561 U. S., at 780 (plurality opinion). We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need. That is not how the First Amendment works when it comes to unpopular speech or the free exercise of religion. It is not how the Sixth Amendment works when it comes to a defendant’s right to confront the witnesses against him. And it is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for self-defense." No convincing necessary.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

zimmertr
Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 4:53 pm 
Reposting from elsewhere: Flawed comparison: Bear Spray vs Guns "studies". Invalidates the "Bear spray is more effective than firearms" argument. I still highly recommend carrying bear spray, but it's important to know its limitations and proper uses. Also (BTW) using bear spray on a human, even when claiming self-defense, can result in a felony assault charge.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 10:29 pm 
Using a firearm for defense against a grizzly can be very effective. My sister supervised the training of field biologists in Alaska, including bear defense. The firearm of choice is a double barrel shotgun with magnum powder loads and slug as the round. The training included a wagon with a bear cutout target towed by cables at the trainee at 35 mph. Most trainees take multiple training sessions before being able to place a "kill shot" with any reliability. It's folly to think that a hand gun can reliably stop a charging bear dead in its tracks, especially without specific training.
Bear spray is far simpler to deploy than a firearm and requires far less perfect aim. Is it a perfect solution no. In Alaska it is also common practice to erect an electric fence around camp and to have a separate cooking, eating and food storage area hundreds of yards away from the sleeping area. One also has a completely separate set of clothes for cooking and eating than all other activities.

sarbar, zimmertr
Vertec

Vertec
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 7:11 pm 
Randito wrote:
It's folly to think that a hand gun can reliably stop a charging bear dead in its tracks, especially without specific training.
9mm works just fine for the PNW*: Read this story Turns out 9mm over penetration is one of those "It's not a bug, it's a feature" things. Of course get training. *Standard disclaimer: Your milage may vary. Not sure I'd bet my life on a 9mm if I'm around aggressive 1000+ pound grizzlies. My point is it's best to consider the threats you might face, and pick the appropriate tool that will be effective.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 6:20 am 
That's no Trail Barbie track!
That's no Trail Barbie track!
But...what kind of a track is it? Your quiz for the day (and, yes, tracks like this are why some folks carry firearms in the woods. wink.gif )

Waterman
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostWed Mar 15, 2023 2:52 pm 
Black bear? Bud I'd expect a more distinct pad. Though really I have no idea what I'm talking about haha

Vertec

Vertec
PostWed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 pm 
This is frustrating: Prosecutor won't charge... I waited for the prosecutor's decision before posting about this. I've had over 40 hours of night / low light professional defensive pistol training specifically because I go out after dark. I'm not going to discuss the investigation but the article describes many mistakes the shooter made according to the training I received: Of course the main mistake was failing to identify the THREAT, and what was beyond it. During low light conditions you must carry a dedicated tactical flashlight light in addition to, and separate from whatever light is being used for general purposes. This dedicated flashlight is only to be used for threat identification, and cannot be a weapon mounted light. It's ok to have a weapon mounted light, but it can only be used AFTER a threat is identified which justifies drawing and presenting the weapon. If someone points a weapon mounted light at a person they also are pointing the weapon at that person - this is called felony aggravated assault. Hiking with a headlamp is perfectly normal, but relying on it alone is a big mistake. If a threat is suspected while using a headlamp the first/best thing to do is to shut it off and switch to the tactical flashlight, which won't be on all the time because stealth is your friend (this point can differ from law enforcement training). About 1/3 of the training I took was learning proper techniques for moving in the dark and when to have the flashlight on/off. It wasn't about "search & destroy", there were plenty of NO SHOOT exercises. From what the article describes (dog on a leash), the incident was a non threat / no shoot situation, proper technique could have prevented it. Edit: The night / low light training I took required completing 40 hours of prerequisite pistol training with a passing grade.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Aug 29, 2023 10:07 am 
REMEMBER IN SEPTEMBER 2023: Hunting seasons begin Sept. 1 for a variety of game. Sept. 15 for grouse in Washington. Wear an orange cap. Don't be alarmed if you meet someone on the trail with: a) Shotgun or rifle b) Compound bow and camo gear head to toe (It's not Rambo!) c) A muzzleloader

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Oct 03, 2023 7:34 pm 
OCTOBER COUNTRY! Big game rifle deer season opens Saturday, Oct. 14. Be visible, be QUIET, and be cognizant that hunting is part of the big outdoors picture, millions of people do it and they like the outdoors as much as anyone, possibly more.

RichP