Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 2:50 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
This is why Joe Manchin digs his heels in re anything to do with carbon emissions control.† He's defending all the coal miners in his state

Since you brought up politics, I will point out that Joe Manchin is representing mine owners not mine workers.  If he supported workers he would be advocating for their healthcare!

Well, sorry about that. Didn't mean to flout NWH rules of engagement. But it seems any environmental issue is inherently political, probably why so many of our threads in Stewardship invariably get shut down. But to your point about Manchin, I'd bet if the majority of WVa residents weren't pro-mining jobs and created a viable movement against all the downsides of coal mining, he'd have a hard time ignoring them.

Sculpin wrote:
Anne wrote:

"Over the last 50 years, especially the last 25, "Environmentalism" has probably lost more to the regulatory process than it's won."

Haven't the slightest idea what this means.

What it means is that the regulatory process, which is the framework within which all environmental lawsuits must operate, is designed to frustrate efforts to prevent environmental degradation: strategically, financially, and ultimately: I think of the regulatory process almost as "controlled incremental degradation".

I refer you to one of the primers of the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund.  One of its founders, environmental attorney Thomas Linzey, recognized the limitations of environmental litigating within the regulatory system. He tried to invent a better mousetrap, and decided to focus on community rights organizing.  I highly recommend his series of videos explaining the basics of how we're hamstrung by our own laws, relative to corporations; it goes back even to our founding documents.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 7:00 am 
Interesting take catsp. However, one problem is not all the "beneficiaries" think DNR should be cutting down more trees. If you ask the school boards in wealthy places like King County, who have great public schools and are well funding by sources other than cutting trees, they will say let the trees in Tiger Mountain stand.

This is why Chris Reykdal is so right when he says we need different standards in different parts of the state. It makes no sense to cut down DNR trees at Tiger to fund public schools in Sammamish, one of the wealthiest cities in America with some of the best, most well funded, public schools in America.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message