Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stafford Creek Basin 7/14-18/2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
philfort

philfort
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 1:04 pm 
Fascinating how Subalpine Larch going southward just ends "sharply" at the Teanaway Peaks. Something about different soils further south? (It's the like the opposite of bear grass, which super prolific around Snoqualmie Pass, but ends sharply in the Alpine Lakes going northward - no reports north of Stevens Pass).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 1:18 pm 
jaysway wrote:
While it's possible, I would be surprised if those weren't western larches. There are a bunch on the east side of Hood: https://wyeastblog.org/2018/10/22/the-larch/
I was nowhere near close enough to identify which type of larch it was. I haven't encountered any around Hood, but I did look online and see it occurs in Oregon.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 1:19 pm 
philfort wrote:
(It's the like the opposite of bear grass, which super prolific around Snoqualmie Pass, but ends sharply in the Alpine Lakes going northward - no reports north of Stevens Pass).
I have noticed this and been fascinated and curious why it doesn't seem to cross Hwy 2.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 2:44 pm 
philfort wrote:
jaysway wrote:
A project that I would love to find more time to work on (after the hiking season) would be to build a granular distribution model of alpine larch trees in Washington. I've thought about where the westernmost larch strand could be (confirmed longitude of about -121.29165, but could there be other strands further west?), but not the southernmost! It looks like the latitude of the southernmost larch in the Earl strand is about 47.40577 and as far as I know that's the southernmost that I've heard of. There is, or perhaps was after the intense fires last summer, a lot of western larch in the Aix area. That area is the kind of place that I would think could support alpine larches, but probably doesn't.
Here's the distribution shown on iNaturalist:
Of course that could include mid-identifications and planted ones. The western most one listed there in Washington is at -121.79559 in Gifford Pinchot. Several reports near Mt Aix.
That looks a lot like western larch (Larix occidentalis) distribution, not Larix lyalliss; subalpine larch. These line up well with the dots: Fife's Ridge:
Goat Peak, William O Douglas Wilderness
Goat Peak, William O Douglas Wilderness
IMG_9297
IMG_9297
American Ridge:
Color!
Color!
American Ridge larches just starting
American Ridge larches just starting
Round Mtn:
More color
More color

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 3:35 pm 
Thanks for the inaturalist tip, Phil. I located the range map for the subalpine larch:

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 7:26 am 
It is not shown on the map John posted, but subalpine larch continues west to Sprite Lake, where you will find a few scattered, small trees in the meadows.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

jaysway