Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bummed, can't bp much with plantar fasciitis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 3:26 pm 
I'm pretty sure your doctor mentioned a shoe with rocker soles. Hoka has some. Z coil is another found online. Z coils are what I use, but I have additional issues.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 4:45 pm 
The second Dr visit, he told me to wear orthotics even inside as I normally would take my shoes off, then my Chiropractor said to stretch 30? seconds instead of just shorter lengths. I can feel less resistance when I do the 30 second stretches after a couple reps. Forgot, I keep wearing shoes until they can't keep my feet dry after a rain, really wore out that pair of trail runners as everyday shoes, that may have been my bad, plus the Doc said my feet were too flat, had me get "neutral" insoles. Thank you all for the help, will adjust my routine. Duane

So many stoves, so little time.
Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 3:35 pm 
I had PF a few seasons back... got it after being in ski boots all winter/spring and then skateboarding without first stretching. Made sense in hindsight, the plantar fasciitis ligament not used to being elongated in the ski boot and then going straight to flex-y shoes and movements... I say hindsight because at first I had no idea what it was... just thought I came down too hard on my heel on concrete. So at first I wore Crocs all the time (to cushion the heel)... bad idea! The pain was just as bad a week later. After some more research I finally figured out what it was. It seemed to me the best way of going about it was to support the ligaments as best as possible and give them time to heal (re-grow). So what I did was get an old sock and and duct-tape around that so that my arch (plantar fasciitis ligaments) were fully supported. Make it tight, but not so tight that it impedes circulation. This provides the custom support that your torn plantar fasciitis ligaments need. I just wore that all the time, 24/7, changing it every couple days to keep things fresh and clean. Just cut it off with a scissor, and reapply. Try to avoid any motion/activity that unduly stretches the plantar fasciitis. After wearing that for 1-2 weeks my foot was good to go again! Cheap, custom fit, and effective. At least it was for me... Good luck! And if you try it and it works, let me know.

solohiker
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 7:03 pm 
Everything I've read, it is going to take months. From posts, wonder how to keep doing more damage and still move around. I leave in a day for Oregon camping. Thank you all. Duane

So many stoves, so little time.
solohiker

solohiker
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 10:28 pm 
I’ve had plantar fasciitis and agree with Stephan K. Right shoes, right stretch and all is good. The earlier you act on it the better.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 11:15 pm 
Amazing to me, how many people have had this condition! A course of a year or two isn’t unheard of. I talked with one acquaintance, my age…70. He has in BOTH feet, and has for TEN years. Tried all the ‘tricks’ and had three surgeries on each foot. He just has to deal with it…

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 6:24 am 
I feel your pain..eso when a dr says..stop walking/hiking. That happened to me years ago...I said to myself..that is the wrong answer! And I truly believe it was due to the post poor insurance I had then (group death). Then worked with a new podiatrist which = significant reconstructive surgery 1st on my left foot, then my right. 20 + years hence and I have hiked, backpacked and walked hundreds of miles without the excruciating pain I had back then. If u are in the Seattle area..can give u a name of a good podiatrist.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 12:10 pm 
My PF tale of woe: never had it before, barely knew what it was. Went backpacking using drop heel trail runners and... oops! I've always used boots before but all the kids are using trail runners - and these got great reviews. One youtuber hiked the entire AT in them. A pound on your feet is worth two on your back right? So hey, I tried them. I wore them around town for a couple weeks, fine, then went backpacking. I now have PF, drat.

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
tlake

tlake
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 12:17 pm 
The only thing that fixed mine was to make sure my big toe was pointing forward and the weight is on the outside edge of my boot. It still hurts if I don't keep my big toe pointing straight ahead.