Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Folks leaving Seattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 12:02 pm 
hikerduane wrote:
Not getting political, according to the news I get here in NE California from Sacramento, Seattle is in the top 6 from where people are moving from to Sacramento. California folk moving back or Seattle too expensive to buy a house? Many of the other top 6 are other cities in California. Duane
I suspect we are just talking about normal migration. Last time I saw a list of where people that moved to Seattle were from, it was California, then Texas, Georgia, Oregon...it doesn't mean that people are fleeing those states for any particular reason, it's just how the economy and migration work. Seattle gained over 20,000 in population last year alone btw. During this time of work from home when many professionals had more options than ever of where to live.

Pyrites, Sore Feet
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 12:07 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I've been curious about Fresno, Sacremento, and Reno. Mostly due to longer summers and having fantastic access to the High Sierra. But I only hear bad things about Fresno. And Reno is wayyyy too hot and deserty for me. I don't know much about Sacremento but there is quite a bit of extra tax burden involved with living in California than Washington. Also Seattle and the east side is gorgeous year round.
I fly into Fresno for work sometimes and would characterize it as dystopian. That may not entirely be fair--as a visitor, I have a limited perspective. But--I usually take advantage of getting good Mexican food before or after a flight, and the place I picked via Yelp last time was in such a sketchy area I decided not to get out of the car. I'm a city person and can't remember ever doing that, anywhere. I go to Sacramento for work sometimes and just can't see the appeal there. It gets so hot among other things.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 12:34 pm 
Generally speaking, the central valley is not super great. It's hot and dry and blah. You could try Merced but I don't think it has much going for it aside from proximity to Yosemite and the UC campus. If you're not tied to a specific place for work and like the small town life, then living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area Paradise style.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 3:10 pm 
I lived in Sacramento for several years, I wasn't a hiker then. The highlights for me were going to the beach at Folsom lake or along the American river, fishing the American river and most of all, biking the amazing American River Bike Trail. Too hot for me, too many people and a lot of crime. Old Sacramento is a cool place to walk around and site see and some good food there too.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
domaz

domaz
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 7:05 pm 
Schroder wrote:
hikerduane wrote:
Seattle is in the top 6 from where people are moving from to Sacramento
Any chance they came from there in the first place? The northward migration from Ca to Wa was pretty intense for the past few decades.
I'm sure that's the case for many of them. Migration stats are kind of easy to cherry pick though because there's always someone moving into an area, and someone moving out. Net migration is really the only useful number when looking at a particular area IMO.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 8:47 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
then living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area Paradise style.
Other than harsh winters and chance apocalyptic fires, it sounds ideal! embarassedlaugh.gif Thanks for the new sig line.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 8:45 am 
Schroder wrote:
hikerduane wrote:
Seattle is in the top 6 from where people are moving from to Sacramento
Any chance they came from there in the first place? The northward migration from Ca to Wa was pretty intense for the past few decades.
That was my question too. Duane

So many stoves, so little time.