Forum Index > Trip Reports > Night at Welcome Pass, 07-21-2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 10:28 pm 
It is a short but STEEP trail, 2.5mi over 3k'. After sweaty 2 hours, we were at a junction on the ridge. High Divide trail looked still snowy in shades, we opted go east on a high point for the night. A couple was already taking a nap on a nice ridge top, we split our camps. I chose to stay high for an open view, while my friend picked a bit lower with a direct view of Baker.
Along the ridge top:
Baker:
Main reason for choosing this spot was a celestial alignment of the galaxy core and Baker. A bonus point was possible Northern Light activity according to a ranger in Glacier. Because the Moon rise was about 12:30, so the dark night window was pretty short both for stars and Aurora.
Aurora was very faint and I didn't know the show was actually happening though I got some shots anyway. The dim moon light was just light to illuminate Baker/Shuksun without wiping out stars.
We packed up pretty early and back at the car by 10am. The steep downhill was pretty hard on our aged legs.

brewermd, Nancyann, ejain, BarbE, Theboywhocriedroute, contour5, Slim, NWtrax, Route Loser, zimmertr, Shred, jaysway, neek, reststep, KascadeFlat, jstern, half fast, Bootpathguy  Lindsay, SpookyKite89, wyattmullen  Anne Elk, Kascadia, Tom, rubywrangler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 7:26 am 
Kenji....as always, your photos are really awesome. Thanks for sharing and for getting up there to present us with your views. I hear you about sore knees on the way down.... shakehead.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 6:37 pm 
Thanks Kenji, great photos of a great spot. Been up there several times but always coming in from Excelsior on the High Divide so I missed the big grunt on the Welcome Pass Trail.

Off trail rambler
Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 8:13 pm 
Steep downhill without Skis? = no bueno... Nice pics! Had me referencing this trip, from your perspective. Thanks.

Kenji

Kenji
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 10:17 pm 
Looks like a great ski trip!! I must have missed your TR... I almost went to the chowder-hood instead, but settled for a simpler trip winksmile.gif Won't hesitate next time though, hopefully next year. Or maybe this Fall:

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 1:05 pm 
another nice overview Kenji, thanks--yeah, portals to skyline when the temps and corn are ripe!

jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 4:00 pm 
Kenji as always I love your photos, especially your nighttime shots. I am curious, how did you know beforehand that the Milky Way would align itself as you wanted above Baker? Was it just looking at a map and knowing what direction the Milky Way would be oriented relative to your position or did you use any software or other tools to do this?

Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:21 pm 
I think my guess is pretty good in general. But I have started using an app called "Photopills" (no idea why it's "-pills") about a year ago. I've used "Photo Ephemeris" before for positions of the sun and the moon. PP includes Galactic positions especially the G Center. For this trip, I was originally planning Chowder Ridge/Cougar Divide, but realized it'll be too far West. Also the moon rise made the dark window pretty short, 11~12:30, that further limited the best location. Anyway, these tools helps a lot though shooting Northern Lights is a lot more hit&miss. Here is a screen shot of what I used:

jaysway