Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 9:29 am 
Randito wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Then NYC had a ban on all ebikes for some time. Yet there have been bike shops selling them during the ban.
My son had his cargo bike upgraded to electric in a shop in Harlem a while ago. eBikes of various configuration and performance are endemic in the city, and not just by food delivery people. When a food delivery person crashes , typically the police confiscate their eBike as it is illegal. But there isn't a lot of police chasing down illegal eBikes. Similarly in the summer swarms of dirt bikes and ORVs zoom up and down the avenues, most pulling wheelies for many blocks. In two years living in NYC, I saw the police chase a swarm of ORVs, just once. Of the group of a couple dozen , they managed to catch one, when the rider crashed into a car while the ORV emerging from an alley that they had ducked into in an effort to evade the police.
E bikes are now legal in NYC.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 19, 2022 1:48 pm 
CS wrote:
These guys didn稚 get the memo on classes, 40mph, even 60mph: https://hpcbikes.com/pages/electricbikes
They got the memo. If it doesn't fall within class 1-3 you would need to stick to private land or register them as mopeds.

CS
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 4:18 pm 
Something like this would be much too simple here. This

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 4:23 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Something like this would be much too simple here. This
up.gif
Quote:
The policy (PDF) when adopted will allow e-bikes to be used on DCNR-managed trails where traditional bikes are allowed.
Definition of e-bike
Quote:
Dunn noted the guidelines consistent with the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code are that e-bikes: Weigh no more than 100 pounds; Do not exceed 20 miles-per-hour using the motor; Have motors that do not exceed 750 watts; and Have fully functional, operable pedals.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 5:32 pm 
Not reasonable for roads. I get where they are going with speed and weight limits, but motor output should effectively limit those. 20 mph is reasonable for mulit-use paths, if anything too high, but that's what posted speed limits are for. Nobody wants to commute long distances limited to 20 mph. It's nice to have assist beyond 20 mph in traffic with no bike lane, or just to get home sooner, before dark, etc. Having assist cut out at 20 mph on an ebike is like hitting a brick wall. Not like you are pedaling a super light road bike with skinny tires where you could actually go faster with more effort. Makes little sense to impose the penalty.

Opus, CS
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 6:58 pm 
A few months ago, I got power measuring pedals for my road bike. I can only sustain about 200W for 20 minutes or so. Maybe I need leg batteries. I'm definitely eating enough to add lots of power, but seem to be gaining weight.

MultiUser, Cyclopath
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 10:17 pm 
Don't worry too much about my class 3 ebike on bike trails. This kid is gonna be a terror though!

Bramble_Scramble
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 am 
I guess we all ride differently. For me, I only hit 20mph going down hills and I don't like to go fast down hills due to perceived things popping out of the brush, or potholes. I often try to ride 20 miles or more and am concerned with battery use. I guess my average speed on roads is 14mph, riding mostly in the Tour or Eco assists. Pennsylvania has it right on, in my mind. Simple and doable. In some countries, the only place a class 3 ebike can be legally ridden is on roads.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am 
Somebody made an ultra "light" eBike at 22 pounds. lol.gif They claim it has infinite range because of self charging perpetual motion, and can go 31 miles on a charge. Pull the motor out and it's still porky by road bike standards, but comes in under UCI limits. https://www.notebookcheck.net/VELLO-Bike-Titanium-ultra-lightweight-e-bike-weighs-9-9-kg-with-theoretically-infinite-range.636510.0.html

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 3:44 pm 
I had to push my ebike home today, after a trip to the grocery store and a chain mishap. It was 90 degrees. Please tell me how heavy they are?

trestle

trestle
PostFri Jul 29, 2022 1:10 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Somebody made an ultra "light" eBike at 22 pounds. lol.gif They claim it has infinite range because of self charging perpetual motion, and can go 31 miles on a charge. Pull the motor out and it's still porky by road bike standards, but comes in under UCI limits. https://www.notebookcheck.net/VELLO-Bike-Titanium-ultra-lightweight-e-bike-weighs-9-9-kg-with-theoretically-infinite-range.636510.0.html
That's a fairly decent value for a folding titanium frame with electric assist. When they eventually import them to America, they'll likely sell quite a few. There are plenty of bicycle buyers who don't purchase based on tradition. Here's a review. Quote: "It痴 simply an excellent ebike for the person who enjoys the analog cycling experience but isn稚 such a purist that they begrudge a little assistance going up a hill."

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode