Forum Index > Trail Talk > Perry Creek/Mt. Forgotten access road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:15 pm 
I just drove up this road today, cleared, regraded, etc. Haven't been up this in about a decade, what's up? its it open to hikers, or is this for logging?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Triciaann777

Triciaann777
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 pm 
"All trails" has several trip reports for June / July for the Perry Creek trail / Mt Forgotten so its open to hike....

Tricia's Mantra You were made to move,
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:56 pm 
Triciaann777 I think OP is talking about the original access road just east of Perry Creek. That road was used before they consolidated it with the Mt. Dickerman trail at the current parking lot. I saw a thread on here a year ago or so about how they were fixing up the old road for logging. Who knows if they'll keep it open after logging is done. Edit: Actually saw it mentioned on WTA, Bonanza Thin

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 11:29 am 
Can't imagine they will leave it open. While it was a boon for Granite Falls Towing, the old trailhead was a nightmare for hikers, especially those whose cars got blocked in, and those whose cars required the use of Granite Falls Towing! Oy vey!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 9:55 pm 
I never had a problem parking there or getting out of there, and I have been up that trail numerous times over the past 20 years

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 9:57 pm 
I as well, but then I rarely hike on weekends.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 29, 2022 1:29 pm 
I never had any trouble either back in the day, either; go early, on a rainy day. Then it got too crowded so I stopped going. That trailhead only held about 8 cars. Even 20 years ago, people were always being boxed in. People parked in the turn-around so incoming cars could only back out, and it was a long way. Others would often park too close to the edge of terra-firma, so two tires often started to sag downslope and they couldn't move the car, as it was too precariously parked - they'd roll down. Because of the lack of room, they couldn't tow cars off the edge - they had to lift cars off the edge - an expensive tow. This was on-going. I remember because I worked on that trail many times, and heard lots of interesting stories from hikers about what was happening back at the trail head, and often saw Granite Falls towing doing their stufff with the crane later in the afternoon. Plus stories from the USFS staff.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

SpookyKite89