Forum Index > Trail Talk > Heat…
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 6:28 am 
It is starting to not cool off much at night. I was surprised to see it was 72 at 5AM at my house. My thermometer, mounted on a post out of the sun has hit 100 for the past two days. It usually reads higher than official ones in the summer and winter.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Mountainpines
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 6:47 am 
I was out on a volunteer trail crew last week and much of the chatter on the FS radio was preparing for potential "catastrophic fire conditions" later this week.

Mountainpines, SpookyKite89
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 7:20 am 
The micro climates during these heat waves always amazes me. For instance, Grapeview (at the south end of the Kitsap peninsula), which is on the water, is supposed to get to 98F on Tuesday. Where as Hansville, also on the water but at the north end of the Kitsap peninsula, is only supposed to get to 77F. Anything up around the Strait of Juan de Fuca looks to stay pleasant (and of course, the coast looks to be downright frigid).

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 am 
We saw the same cloud of smoke.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 10:12 am 
Yes. It’s us again. We came back to see what we missed when we had to cancel our plans due to fires. Last year though we had better luck with hikes. Sometime we had clear weather, other times thunderstorms (obscuring the views). But not too bad. This year seems shorter hikes for us due to snow or heat. Did Hart Pass and Blue Lake this time around. Our plans were to hike the Easy Pass as well. But too much snow still… We are heading to Stehekin now.

rbuzby
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 10:14 am 
The snow is well consolidated! Don't fear it, just bring traction. At least usually. The heatwave might mush it up a bit. You'll likely find a well-defined boot path on any of the popular trails.

Flickr | Strava

Mountainpines
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 12:14 pm 
RichP wrote:
I was out on a volunteer trail crew last week and much of the chatter on the FS radio was preparing for potential "catastrophic fire conditions" later this week.
There's a reason for that. Today we have hot weather with a hot breeze blowing. Should something ignite, it could get interesting. I also think that resources are already spread thin what with Alaska and the Southwest, and CA all on fire. However, it isn't serious here yet because the local guy has a good supply of porta potties on his land. When the PNW has a lot of fires going on, his supply dwindles. Those are located on one of my bicycle riding routes so I can keep tabs on them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 4:30 pm 
altasnob wrote:
The micro climates during these heat waves always amazes me. For instance, Grapeview (at the south end of the Kitsap peninsula), which is on the water, is supposed to get to 98F on Tuesday. Where as Hansville, also on the water but at the north end of the Kitsap peninsula, is only supposed to get to 77F.
Live update. Grapeview is at 90 and Hansville at 78. Amazing difference in temperatures for two places so close and both on the water.

Mountainpines
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 4:33 pm 
I was just in Freeland and it was 91 (measured by my car) and 10 miles north in Greenbank it's 80.

gb

gb
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 4:40 pm 
Stevens Pass was 89 today, Crystal 84, and Paradise 82. Don't worry it will get worse. As I recall last year Paradise hit 91. One would think it won't get quite that warm this year, but perhaps just 2-3 degrees less.......

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 10:01 pm 
We have over 100 degrees in Stehekin. Picked a short hike: Agnes Gorge. Not impressed with it. The wind is warm. No relief. But the hike was mostly in shade, so it wasn’t terrible. Tomorrow over 100 degrees again. We will spend some time by the lake and river here.

Chief Joseph
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 10:06 pm 
We have reservations in Leavenworth. The day we arrive it will be 106 degrees on Thursday! 😧

gb

gb
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 6:14 am 
Well, we had better enjoy the cooler weather when it arrives early next week; the GFS shows it heating up again to nearly this hot beginning the following weekend. That is still an outlook, but..... Meanwhile, in a few days the Midwest will see temperatures that should easily break all-time records for an extended period. Salvation can only come from a thunderstorm regime?

Mountainpines
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 am 
FYI last evening, outside of Leavenworth it was 101 at 6 pm as I readied my lake raft for today instead of my bp redface.gif

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark

Mountainpines
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 10:03 am 
Mountainpines wrote:
We have over 100 degrees in Stehekin. Picked a short hike: Agnes Gorge. Not impressed with it. The wind is warm. No relief. But the hike was mostly in shade, so it wasn’t terrible. Tomorrow over 100 degrees again. We will spend some time by the lake and river here.
There's good swimming in Stehekin, at the end of the lake. Also at Lake Wenatchee near L'worth. Swimming is a fantastic way to beat the heat. There's amazing scenery in both of these lakes. It's dopamine. If you can't enjoy hiking in these temperatures, don't. The best thing is having options.

Mountainpines