Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > DALL-E Image Generation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 2:34 pm 
So I was recently given beta access to DALL-E. If you haven't heard yet, it's software that leans on the GPT3 artificial intelligence framework to create images from text and it's really really powerful and has been creating some incredible concept art. Here's a video describing it by the creators:
And here's another good video talking about it in length:
Here are some images I thought you might enjoy:
a tall mountain being climbed by a cat with an enormous backpack
a tall mountain being climbed by a cat with an enormous backpack
grizzly bear feasting during salmon run in classical japanese art
grizzly bear feasting during salmon run in classical japanese art
a sloth and a toad clinging to a beer bottle rocket flying to the moon wearing astronaut suits
a sloth and a toad clinging to a beer bottle rocket flying to the moon wearing astronaut suits
a fatigued tech worker with his face in his palm in front of a computer in a neo modernist art style
a fatigued tech worker with his face in his palm in front of a computer in a neo modernist art style
an elderly man fatigued from working the farm in the sun all day in neo modernist art
an elderly man fatigued from working the farm in the sun all day in neo modernist art
detailed photo of a woman trailrunning with enormous glaciated peaks surrounding her and creeks crossing the trail
detailed photo of a woman trailrunning with enormous glaciated peaks surrounding her and creeks crossing the trail
male climber with ice tools climbing a frozen waterfall with enormous valley filled with snow covered trees in the distance
male climber with ice tools climbing a frozen waterfall with enormous valley filled with snow covered trees in the distance
Forum moderator shaking fist at computer screen while banning user for posting off-topic content
Forum moderator shaking fist at computer screen while banning user for posting off-topic content
two hikers sweating while climbing steep trail entering basin with sparking alpine lake tall mountains in distance
two hikers sweating while climbing steep trail entering basin with sparking alpine lake tall mountains in distance
Hikers sitting around tent at shore of half frozen alpine lake snow on ground rocky granite basin large rock wall in distance
Hikers sitting around tent at shore of half frozen alpine lake snow on ground rocky granite basin large rock wall in distance
Two campers near a small fire on top of a mountain summit in anime art style
Two campers near a small fire on top of a mountain summit in anime art style
group of backpackers walking single file through flower filled meadow mt rainier in background 35mm photography
group of backpackers walking single file through flower filled meadow mt rainier in background 35mm photography
turqoise blue lake many thousands of feet below person looking down from cliff edge high up on mountain
turqoise blue lake many thousands of feet below person looking down from cliff edge high up on mountain
half frozen turqoise lake nestled in glacial basin in pixel art
half frozen turqoise lake nestled in glacial basin in pixel art
two backpackers carrying rope, helmets, crampons, leaving parking lot filled with cars walking into forest with large mountains in background
two backpackers carrying rope, helmets, crampons, leaving parking lot filled with cars walking into forest with large mountains in background
Anyone have any requests? Try and be as descriptive as possible. It works better if you mention art style, number of people or objects, foreground and background assets, etc.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 3:00 pm 
large basin filled with a dozen small alpine tarns in foreground with paths in between, many wildflowers along paths, large snow covered mountains in background
large basin filled with a dozen small alpine tarns in foreground with paths in between, many wildflowers along paths, large snow covered mountains in background
climber belaying person down heavily forested mountain middle fork valley garfield peak
climber belaying person down heavily forested mountain middle fork valley garfield peak
Orangutan riding on brachiosaurus head through densely forested valley
Orangutan riding on brachiosaurus head through densely forested valley
Two hikers looking across valley at erupting volcano enormous pyrclastic flow heading directly towards large city, ocean in distance
Two hikers looking across valley at erupting volcano enormous pyrclastic flow heading directly towards large city, ocean in distance
person in hiking clothes driving car stuck in traffic on highway 20 saturday morning
person in hiking clothes driving car stuck in traffic on highway 20 saturday morning
35mm photography lake serene foreground, mt index background, paraglider landing in lake
35mm photography lake serene foreground, mt index background, paraglider landing in lake

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 3:13 pm 
group of native americans practicing religious ceramony above crater lake
group of native americans practicing religious ceramony above crater lake
alpenglow on mt rainier in background, heavy flowing glacial river in foreground, flowering meadows, person sitting near campfire
alpenglow on mt rainier in background, heavy flowing glacial river in foreground, flowering meadows, person sitting near campfire
two dozen wild horses galloping through wheat covered prarie grand teton in background
two dozen wild horses galloping through wheat covered prarie grand teton in background
fat bear eating bag of chips near tent, human hiding in bushes in background, cartoon art style
fat bear eating bag of chips near tent, human hiding in bushes in background, cartoon art style
cat crossing crevasse on glacier wearing goggles and heavy backpack in cartoon style
cat crossing crevasse on glacier wearing goggles and heavy backpack in cartoon style
cat and dog climbing partners high up on mountain cartoon art style
cat and dog climbing partners high up on mountain cartoon art style

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath, RichP
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:01 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Super cool that you got beta access! I saw some of the images from DALL-E 2 when it was first announced. It's incredible what it can do. I've never been to Lake Serene but none of them look like it to me, in fact the 1st and 4th picture look suspiciously similar to Shuksan reflecting in Picture Lake smile.gif. Clearly Picture Lake and Mount Rainier were included in the training set, perhaps Lake Serene and Mount Index either weren't or the words "lake" and "serene" are too generic in this context for it to pick up on this specific place that you were referring to in your query.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:08 pm 
I requested access a couple months ago and just got in last night! Already generated about 200 images. Had to purchase extra credits lol.

Flickr | Strava

jaysway
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:15 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
What's so neat about DALL-E 2 is how it can combine different concepts in a query together to create completely novel images and ideas. Thinking about my post above, I'm now very curious how similar the images generated above are to actual places. DALL-E 2 is obviously trained on images of actual places, but the similarity between the generated images that I commented on in my last post to Shuksan surprised me and I wonder in how many cases are the places it is showing very similar to an existing place versus a place that is completely made up?

jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:22 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
This one is interesting too. Unlike the Tetons or Rainier ones where the background mountains are clearly depictions of the mountains you are referring to, these ones don't actually look like any real places in the Enchantments. The model nails the granite lakes basin stuff, and the last one kind of looks like it could be looking down Aasgard to Colchuck, but if someone asked me where those were from I would have said the Sierra or somewhere like that. I'm almost surprised that there wasn't a closer depiction to real-life here, like maybe a Prusik or Dragontail-lookalike peak in the image? zimmertr do you mind adding something like "Gnome Tarn" or "Dragontail" to the query? I don't know if the model was trained on images of those things so it might not do anything but I'm curious!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:23 pm 
It has definitely picked up on a few well known local mountains. Rainier and St Helens specifically.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:25 pm 
jaysway wrote:
zimmertr do you mind adding something like "Gnome Tarn" or "Dragontail" to the query?
Definitely getting warmer! Starting to look similar now.

Flickr | Strava

jaysway
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:40 pm 
It can also try and edit creations into existing images. Here are a few photos I've taken manipulated by DALL-E:
enormous mountain goat chasing hiker
enormous mountain goat chasing hiker
herd of mountain goats feasting on exhausted hikers food
herd of mountain goats feasting on exhausted hikers food
hikers sitting around campfire red tent park ranger pointing at and scolding them
hikers sitting around campfire red tent park ranger pointing at and scolding them
Group of backpackers sitting around tent and campfire
Group of backpackers sitting around tent and campfire
It doesn't seem to work as well though. Some of the human faces are frightening and enter uncanny valley territory.

Flickr | Strava

seawallrunner  jaysway
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:43 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
jaysway wrote:
zimmertr do you mind adding something like "Gnome Tarn" or "Dragontail" to the query?
Definitely getting warmer! Starting to look similar now.
Ahhh so cool! That's so impressive. I can nitpick a bit for sure but the fact that it can produce images this close given extremely queries is pretty neat. The end result still reminds me more of the Sierras than the Enchantments but these look better. Imagine if the Sierras had larches biggrin.gif!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:46 pm 
jaysway wrote:
Ahhh so cool! That's so impressive. I can nitpick a bit for sure but the fact that it can produce images this close given extremely queries is pretty neat. The end result still reminds me more of the Sierras than the Enchantments but these look better. Imagine if the Sierras had larches biggrin.gif!
This one definitely reminds me of Colchuck & Aasgard Pass

Flickr | Strava

jaysway
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 4:57 pm 
bear laying on moss covered ground below enormous trees turqoise river in foreground
bear laying on moss covered ground below enormous trees turqoise river in foreground
bear tackling elk in dense moss covered rainforest turqoise river in foreground
bear tackling elk in dense moss covered rainforest turqoise river in foreground
marmot sunbathing on rock in foreground, near basin filled with wildflowers, hikers walking by in background, snow covered mountains in background
marmot sunbathing on rock in foreground, near basin filled with wildflowers, hikers walking by in background, snow covered mountains in background
sleeping mountain goat lounging on raft floating in center of turqoise lake surrounded by snow covered mountains
sleeping mountain goat lounging on raft floating in center of turqoise lake surrounded by snow covered mountains

JPH

JPH
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 7:08 am 
sasquatch having tea with the queen of england being served by a walking grizzly bear that's wearing a bow tie under the aurora borealis in glacier bay alaska

zimmertr  Anne Elk
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 7:55 am 
JPH wrote:
sasquatch having tea with the queen of england being served by a walking grizzly bear that's wearing a bow tie under the aurora borealis in glacier bay alaska