Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 12:20 am 
Love those lonely mountains, Rich. Spent 2 nights up the North Fork of Bridge Creek. The meadows and mountains! https://photos.app.goo.gl/JCZ6TuyxXJFYxR6n7

Nancyann
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Jul 23, 2022 11:52 am 
Walked southbound on the PCT yesterday afternoon from Stevens Pass to the intersection with the Icicle Creek Trail. Still a lot of patchy snow on the trail, but easily crossed without traction. Talked to a German section hiker who had come up from Snoqualmie Pass. He said there are still lots of snowfields to cross, but there is a good bootpath across them now. He attempted the route a couple of weeks ago and there was so much snow coverage he got lost. Didn’t see anyone else on the trail until the end of the day when some weekend hikers came up, very peaceful. Heading down Gemini Run to the Upper Mill Creek Road.
Snow fingers on the way to Lake Sara Jane have retreated just enough. smile.gif
No one at the usually busy Lake Sara Jane. Lots of water flowing in and out.
So much snow and standing water at the meadow at the saddle. Last fall it was almost bone dry here!
Lots of snow patches up to the Icicle Creek Trail intersection.
One of my favorites. wub.gif

Anne Elk, reststep, jaysway, awilsondc, runup, zimmertr  KascadeFlat
neek

neek
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 10:09 am 
Logan on Friday...

Now I Fly, RichardJ, reststep, Nancyann, RichP, jaysway, Bramble_Scramble, rubywrangler, zimmertr  awilsondc  Kenji  Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Jul 24, 2022 3:13 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Hiked the Loowit Trail with Neek today. 10/10
I especially like this photo. Really shows how a new forest is emerging and spreading atop the ashen lahars. up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostTue Jul 26, 2022 1:59 pm 
Rainier via DC on Saturday 7/23 - holy smokes was it crowded!!! I expected lots of other people, but it felt like we were on Rattlesnake. Basically a conga line the whole way up. People were getting very testy at about 13k where there was a crevasse crossing causing a bottleneck - guides yelling at us to not rest in the bootpath (even though we were just waiting for the groups in front of us to move) and then skirting around and cutting to the front of the line to cross the crevasse. I feel accomplished for summiting, but yikes it was not a pleasant experience. Route was in good shape, Cathedral Gap & Cleaver still mostly covered in snow although I'm sure that's all changing very rapidly now.
basically how it was from 12k up
basically how it was from 12k up
the crevasse crossing that caused several verbal altercations
the crevasse crossing that caused several verbal altercations
easy crevasse crossing above Ingraham Flats - they had a ladder nearby, I assume for when this inevitably opens up more
easy crevasse crossing above Ingraham Flats - they had a ladder nearby, I assume for when this inevitably opens up more
some nice views above the clouds
some nice views above the clouds

Now I Fly, AntiqueLaser, RichP, jaysway  KascadeFlat
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 5:09 pm 
Climbed Low Mountain off Denny Creek on Saturday 7/23. I will come right out and say it — I love the Denny Creek trail. This was my third time up and it never gets old! We took the boot path from Hemlock Pass until it ran out. Queue a few ups, downs, and sideways and we were at the north side of the summit block. The terrain sucks you to the west side of the summit here and it is awful. I highly recommend dropping off the east side of the ridge at 5000 ft, crossing the talus field until you get back to the trees and then heading straight up towards the south end of the summit block. Other TRs have mentioned this and THEY ARE RIGHT. We didn’t get many views as the fog was still burning off. The summit was an excellent lunch spot.
Snuck over to Melakwa lake on the way out and enjoyed some late afternoon sunshine.
Monday 7/25 I took my three nieces on a hike around Sumas Mountain. 5.5 miles and not a single complaint! We had fun checking out the mines and cabin.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Now I Fly, Nancyann, awilsondc, RichardJ, Tom, RichP
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 7:50 am 
Monday was very clear, then Tuesday it started to get a little hazy. I'm glad I shot everything thoroughly on Monday despite knowing I would be up there until Wednesday. That's one of my rules; "do not delay shots". Things can change in mere minutes, do not assume the same great shot will be there later. I shot Baker 50 more times after this, but with more haze, compared to just a little haze on Monday.

Nancyann, awilsondc  KascadeFlat
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 1:19 pm 
So true how things can change quickly while photographing. I also have the same “don’t delay shots” motto. On Sunday there was quite a bit of haze, which made sunset shots more colorful, but not good for much else. I took a bunch of pictures anyway, but only liked the sunset shots.
Monday morning was crystal clear, so I retook some pictures and was much happier with them.

Now I Fly, jaysway, rbuzby, gumby
RichP

RichP
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:53 am 
8/5/2022 Tahtlum Peak from Chinook Pass. I would guesstimate about 1000 people on the Naches Peak Loop (no lie!). Saw three others near the summit. Skeeters were pretty bad but the after-hike huckleberry milkshake at Wapiti Woolies in Greenwater was good.
Skeeter holes
Skeeter holes
Summit in view
Summit in view
Tahtlum Peak
Tahtlum Peak
Dewey Lakes from the summit
Dewey Lakes from the summit
Star of the show
Star of the show

contour5, HikingBex, jaysway, Tom, Now I Fly  ngie  KascadeFlat
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Aug 08, 2022 9:40 am 
Thompson Lake 8/7/22 A great hike for a hot day as it is mostly in the shade. Trail is in good shape albeit a little overgrown after the fork from Granite lakes. The raft allowed me to paddle to the three islands and take a much needed dip. Only saw 10 or so people after the cutoff to Thompson.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

contour5, JonnyQuest, fourteen410, Tom, CS, RichP, mike, hikergirl1234
ngie

ngie
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 11:53 am 
08/06/2022 - Tatoosh Traverse (Central "District") My silly butt decided it was a good idea to go hike/scramble up an exposed ridge for the day, despite the heat. Started from Reflection Lakes, got to Pinnacle first, hit Plummer next, Denman, Lane (ran into a group of Mountaineers there -- had a nice chat/got a break), then came back and decided to go for (and sent!) The Castle. I was pretty zapped so I didn't do the best job setting up the rappel off of Castle, but it went ok (I just fidgeted around and questioned myself a ton before actually going on-rappel). Got to see a few cute marmot families on my way out and saw an awesome sunset at Pinnacle Pass down to Reflection Lakes. Even scared/got scared by a deer by the trailhead, which I found super amusing. Climbing/scramble summary:
  • Lane: class 4 with funky moves up a dihedral/open book type cracks.
  • Denman: some easy class 3 moves up the ridge spine; the SE arête was really nice to climb compared to the junk gully I went down. Lots of loose rock, per usual for the area.
  • Plummer: walk up; not technical from the ridge.
  • Pinnacle: even though most claim class 2, it felt a lot more like class 3 or class 4, with the “added bonus” of running into rando folks who think they can scramble in tennis shoes (despite the ridiculous loose rock).
  • Castle: class 1 walk around (or class 4 notch, if you’re feeling spicy like I was on the way in!) with a low to mid class 5 finish at the summit block. It was definitely exposed at the summit and I wish I had worn my rock shoes for route I took up. The holds were super tiny and the rock was a tad bit slick, plus there weren't a ton of jams where I could reasonably put my hands/feet (I'm shorter), so it was definitely engaging smearing my Raptor IIs. Some crack climbing and hopping over exposed arêtes were involved. It looked like the easier 5th class wall was the one I repelled down versus the one I went up.
Cruiser trail to Pinnacle Saddle!
Cruiser trail to Pinnacle Saddle!
Looking south from Pinnacle at (from left to right) The Castle, Foss, Unicorn, and West Unicorn.
Looking south from Pinnacle at (from left to right) The Castle, Foss, Unicorn, and West Unicorn.
Butterfly on Pinnacle downscramble!
Butterfly on Pinnacle downscramble!
Pinnacle gully of scrambling fun!
Pinnacle gully of scrambling fun!
Looking south-ish from Plummer at Pinnacle (left), et al.
Looking south-ish from Plummer at Pinnacle (left), et al.
Tahoma view from Plummer.
Tahoma view from Plummer.
Tahoma view from Denman.
Tahoma view from Denman.
(Coming off Denman summit) "Do I really have to get down that?"
(Coming off Denman summit) "Do I really have to get down that?"
The bottom section of the class 4 scramble up Lane starts here.
The bottom section of the class 4 scramble up Lane starts here.
Lane "dihedral" halfway up scramble. Lane has nice juggy holds ::).
Lane "dihedral" halfway up scramble. Lane has nice juggy holds smile.gif.
(Mosquito photobomb!) Easiest climber's trail up lane was against rock wall in shaded portion of picture.
(Mosquito photobomb!) Easiest climber's trail up lane was against rock wall in shaded portion of picture.
Pinnacle: left/uphill. Castle and beyond: right.
Pinnacle: left/uphill. Castle and beyond: right.
Marmot family munching and enjoying the cooler temps at sunset by the trail.
Marmot family munching and enjoying the cooler temps at sunset by the trail.
Peakbagger

contour5, neek, RichP, hikergirl1234, jaysway, awilsondc, zimmertr, HikingBex
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 7:08 pm 
Took a trip to Melakwa Lakes from Denny creek today. Got an unwelcome surprise with the parking situation. Seems the nice new parking lot is closed due to “budget changes” as are the two outhouses WTF? It was hit and muggy this morning and got hotter as the day progressed. Trail is somewhat improved bridge still out at water slide and probably will be til judgement day. Trail seemed longer than last time 10 years ago, big surprise doh.gif . Some clouds came in lakes beautiful as always. Returning to car it was ok but road is now one way so we had to drive up to pass to leave. Now I know why no one uses the Franklin Fall PL.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

hikergirl1234
neek

neek
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 8:38 pm 
Some pics from the O'Neil Pass BCRT last week in the Olympics. Rebecca posted a more detailed report on WTA.

Silas, Now I Fly, mosey, awilsondc, JimK, HitTheTrail, rubywrangler, reststep, RichP  jaysway, meck
AntiqueLaser
Chosstronaut

AntiqueLaser
Chosstronaut
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 11:35 am 
Great trip up Ruth Mtn yesterday to ski the Ruth Glacier. Pure alpine pleasure!

astronaut

Silas, HikingBex, awilsondc
neek

neek
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 1:58 pm 
West McMillan Spire yesterday. Climber's path is better than expected. Drop from notch to basin is loose and nasty. Basin traverse is a pleasure. Snow is quite consolidated (crampons recommended) and dangerously undercut in many places, making transition to/from rock challenging.

Silas, fourteen410, Prosit, rubywrangler, Now I Fly, HikingBex, Slim, RichardJ, mosey, Cyclopath, contour5  awilsondc