Forum Index > Trail Talk > Heat…
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 10:42 am 
Ya, heat like this is a great way to enjoy our otherwise frigid mountain lakes. I remember one downslope hot wind event 6 or so years ago at big beaver where i got a reliable shade reading of 98F. That almost made it possible to enjoy swimming in Ross lake. Still was about 40F if you dove down more than a few feet. Interesting to go from 98F to painful face numbing cold simply by going 5 feet down.

Mountainpines
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 12:52 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Mountainpines wrote:
We have over 100 degrees in Stehekin. Picked a short hike: Agnes Gorge. Not impressed with it. The wind is warm. No relief. But the hike was mostly in shade, so it wasn’t terrible. Tomorrow over 100 degrees again. We will spend some time by the lake and river here.
There's good swimming in Stehekin, at the end of the lake. Also at Lake Wenatchee near L'worth. Swimming is a fantastic way to beat the heat. There's amazing scenery in both of these lakes. It's dopamine. If you can't enjoy hiking in these temperatures, don't. The best thing is having options.
One word of warning. Both lakes are glacier fed and the upper part of Chelan will be colder than the lower (near the town of Chelan). Lake Wenatchee can be frigid. All of this is OK if you've grown up with it, but I would not recommend diving straight in if you are middle aged or above. I found Lake Superior, where I was warned that I'd freeze if I swam in it in August, to be a similar temperature. We'd go up to Lakeside and hang out in Lake Chelan on Sundays during kid times. Parents would force us out later in the afternoon and we'd be quite cool. On the way home a stop would be made at Pat and Mikes for snacks--maybe to ward off the shivering? Lake Wenatchee was a choice between cold water or mosquitoes. It was definitely colder than where we went in Chelan and we'd get out when numb. Lake Wenatchee was downright warm in the summer of 1977 due to a mild winter, drought, and warm air temps.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Mountainpines
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 1:17 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I found Lake Superior, where I was warned that I'd freeze if I swam in it in August, to be a similar temperature.
Location, location, location. Toward the west end of the Michigan UP is Sleeping Bay. Anytime there is an onshore breeze the warmer water at the surface of the lake is pushed into this shallow bay. Once upon a time I had a pleasant swim there in early September! Sand beach and hard sand bottom. Crystal clear water.
View larger size in new window

Chief Joseph
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 3:55 pm 
gb wrote:
That doesn't work.
It worked! I had a great time. It was hot in the sun and cool in the shade. I laid down in some shady heather at around 5800 yesterday, and the cold ground made me want to put another shirt on. 5 seconds in the sun cured that of course. Still tons of snow, trail buried in a lot of places. I just wanted to camp up high with views. I had Baker out my left tent door and Glacier peak out the right side door. I saw ZERO people. Glacier Peak Wilderness. I'm only about 100 shots into checking out my pics, but this one makes me happy. Its near impossible to tell if a shot worked by looking at the back of the camera in the glaring sun, so I took a few like this. Only this last attempt worked. It's a pain in the neck to stop and stoop over and try to shoot a flower blowing around in the wind.

JimK, philfort, mosey, Mountainpines, RichardJ  Hiker Mama
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 27, 2022 7:22 pm 
Not Again!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Hiker Mama
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 6:12 pm 
I swam in Lake Chelan when in Stehekin. But we rented a vehicle for two days to move around. It wasn’t too hot while driving. We hiked in the morning. We made multiple visits to the bakery and the Garden. The Stehekin River was too cold but so beautiful. We plunged in when we visited the Rainbow Falls. That is where the water was mostly mild, not too cold.

rbuzby
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 pm 
Stayed at the cabin at lake Wenatchee this week and it was beautiful. It was hot in the afternoon but cooled off each night to 60 or just below. The lake is great for swimming in these conditions. A hike up the White River was warm but not too bad finishing around 1300. Really toasty back in Wenatchee this evening.

Mountainpines
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 11:05 pm 
Nothin like seein those cars lined up in 'worth. Seein those heat waves rising up off the cars lined up headin' down main drag in 'worth.

Mountainpines
mosey

mosey
PostThu Jul 28, 2022 11:16 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Nothin like seein those cars lined up in 'worth. Seein those heat waves rising up off the cars lined up headin' down main drag in 'worth.
I carry an infrared thermometer as part of my ten essentials just to satisfy this curiosity.

Mountainpines  Kim Brown
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 29, 2022 8:24 am 
mosey wrote:
I carry an infrared thermometer as part of my ten essentials just to satisfy this curiosity.
Dork. embarassedlaugh.gif (says the person who occasionally does an NCR Soil Survey polygon around a client's home address just for the hell of it [I'm in public accounting]).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostFri Jul 29, 2022 4:10 pm 
Just finished a 6 day trip in the Pasayten that started Sunday. Climbed Wolframite - Apex - Amphitheater - Cathedral - Remmel. A bit tough between the heat, bugs, and deadfall. You can still get out in this heat folks, just take extra precautions.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?

Cyclopath, Mountainpines, hikerbiker
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jul 30, 2022 3:19 pm 
3:17 in the afternoon and 94 degrees on the cool shady north side of the house NE of Redmond. The warm weather crops in the garden are loving it - as long as we keep them watered.

Chief Joseph
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSun Jul 31, 2022 3:13 am 
If you hike early in the morning, it’s not too bad. I hiked to the Colchuck Lake. I did swim once there. Drank two bottles (16 onz) of water and a bit of snapple. To my surprise it took one hour longer to get down cause the sand is slippery, or my hiking shoes are giving away. The tread looks fine, but I feel the boots need to retire. Then I was really careful to not get another fall. A bit hurt my back since I hit the back of the rock. It was better there in the mountains than scrolling in a cute town of Leavenworth. Had ice cream and pizza afterwords. (To my surprise many hikers were hiking in the afternoon. Why do they run on this trail if it’s so slippery? Or it’s my luck. The trail is so dry…)

rbuzby
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 6:26 pm 
Leavenworth forecast is 105 on Monday

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostFri Aug 05, 2022 8:10 am 
That is bad. We’re heading home. Smelled smoke on hwy 90 last night.