Forum Index > Trail Talk > A Bold New Way to Poop in the Outdoors
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 30, 2022 8:59 am 
A Bold New Way to Poop in the Outdoors Long-standing rules for how we do our business in the wilderness are changing in a very big way—and it’s about time. For decades we’ve been taught standardized methods to ensure proper disposal of our waste, most notably burying it in a cathole far away from water sources. But now, with exploding numbers of people recreating on public lands, those approaches aren’t viable. Simply put: the land can’t handle all our poop. This has scientists and land managers saying it’s time to take drastic measures that you might not like.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostSat Jul 30, 2022 9:28 am 
Agree. Noticed Yellow Aster Butte requires blue bag only. This is probably the only recourse with no way of enforcement unless caught in the act. moon.gif Bussiness idea for your business: air tight "Tupperware" smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 30, 2022 9:29 am 
It's not shocking that in hyperpopular areas,especially ones with limited biological activity, that "pack it all out" makes sense. "Pack it all out" has been standard practice on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon for decades. "Blue bags" have been handed out / required around Paradise and the South Route on Adams for a long long time as well. The question in my mind is how many human poop bag "flowers" will be added to the bouquets of dog poop bag displays lining hyperpopular trails.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 30, 2022 4:39 pm 
Randito wrote:
The question in my mind is how many human poop bag "flowers" will be added to the bouquets of dog poop bag displays lining hyperpopular trails.
This is disgusting, but it is a dog thing. The dogs will empty the people bags. Think of it as recycling--through a dog. Now I have grossed myself out.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

RichP, slabbyd
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSun Jul 31, 2022 8:20 am 
Large waxed paper landing pad + bio-degradable bag + empty freeze-dried meal pouch. Zero odor and puncture proof. Leaves the option open for lower elevation burial or trucking it all the way to the car. When the soil around the campsite is 0 to 3" deep, packing it out is all there is. I think "pasting a rock" on a rocking summit is bad citizenship.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."