Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostThu Jul 21, 2022 1:52 pm 
golden horn 7-16 - 7-17-2022
lower snowy lakes
lower snowy lakes
for me it was a sequel: return to golden horn. it was fun as a fall trip october 2006 and the sequel held up well as a summer trip. what a beautiful spot and wonderful summit. approach notes: slower than expected, but not particularly difficult: multiple water crossings where i removed boots, snow on the traverse between cutthroat and granite pass. nice trail from pct to snowy lakes with trivial snow on it. lower snowy lakes, still snow, but many dry camp spot. upper snowy lakes, lots of snow, a couple dry camp spots. did the ridge approach from snowy lakes to golden horn, avoiding brush by dropping off the ridge in places. summit block snow free. (nice lead on the summit block t!) 30m ropes works well, with plenty leftover, for rapping. i did not do tower, but my partners did. they used crampons+ice axe and had multiple snow to rock transitions. based on the fact that all of left camp for the car at ~11:40am, i would guess it took them 5+hours for tower, and they are faster than average, therefore, my guess is the route is more difficult right now than it is normally. water: just about everywhere you want it. although no running water, just snow patches, above snowy lakes on our route. 5:41 car to snowy lakes 0:20 look for campsites 0:38 set up camp/take a break 2:26 camp to summit 0:40 summit stay 1:30 summit to camp 11:15 day 1 total - 13.07mi 4616' gain 5:17 camp to car - day 2 - 9.13mi 941' gain
the towerettes and their tower behind them
the towerettes and their tower behind them
equipment: ice axe, helmet, harness, 30m rope, .4+.5+#1 cams, water crossing shoes! equipment brought, but not used: (crampons t& brian used on tower)

ngie, BarbE, Now I Fly, SeanSullivan86, MangyMarmot
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Jul 22, 2022 8:17 am 
Thanks for the report! I'm stoked to get over there! Got to see it (Golden Horn) from Vets Peak, and Mount Hardy, earlier this year. Then again from Grasshopper Pass two days ago. :-)
Golden Horn center.
Golden Horn far right. Thanks again! It's a beauty mountain!

ngie

ngie
PostMon Aug 01, 2022 8:42 am 
Great call on the rope and dry conditions! It was pretty iffy last year after a rain storm in approach shoes; the guide I was with belayed me up and lowered me down.