Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Aug 01, 2022 1:31 pm 
JPH wrote:
do you have a spot that you float? I've often wondered if there was a good stretch to float in the 8 miles or so downstream of the Taylor river before it gets rowdier again.
No. I have aspirations though. Not sure I could float very far with only one car. All I have done so far is put in at one of the pullouts (below the Middle Fork TH and before the CCC TH) and carry my tube out to the rocks and ride some small rapids into a big pool. Then I swim/wade ashore and do it again. Only done this once. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 01, 2022 1:40 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Not sure I could float very far with only one car.
There's actually a really great way to do this with only one car. smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 01, 2022 5:29 pm 
Back when I was kayaking the Middle Middle in my teens and early 20s me and my 3 boating buddies only had one car, a 1970 Ford Falcon Station Wagon. So we hitchiked to get back up to the put-in -- well sometimes we walked the whole way. One time we got a ride from a logger who had his chainsaw on the front seat of his creaky station wagon and we noticed only after underway he had no instrument lights and also must have just come from the Mt Si Tavern based on the smell of his breath. But hey he gave a ride and it was after sunset. That was also before the county regraded the road between where the Lake Dorothy Road splits off and where the Middle school is now. There used to be a sharp transition, and coming back from the put-in the owner of the station wagon liked to hit the transition that with as much speed as possible and "Make this Falcon Fly" It's remarkable that the 4 of us all survived to our 30s.

CS

CS
PostMon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 pm 
Randito wrote:
It's remarkable that the 4 of us all survived to our 30s.
I often think after these realizations, well we’ve all made it from the Cambrian period to now some how, so it’s not impossible.