Forum Index > Trail Talk > Will NW Hikers let me post a request for someone to call 911 for me if I don't come back?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 8:03 am 
(thread title changed AGAIN to be more to the point) I expect this will get shot down from all directions, but.... What if your relatives or friends are unavailable, or indifferent, or you otherwise don't want them involved, but you need someone to call 911 for you if you don't come back from a mountain trip, so you post on NW Hikers saying where you are going, and a simple "call 911 if I dont post here by a certain time and date." I imagine Tom and his legal team would say "heck no!" in case something went wrong and someone got litigious. Liability aside, it would be a nice option to have. Friends and relatives aren't always reliable, or they get confused, asking dumb stuff like "are you coming back by 9 pm Pacific time or Eastern time? ( shakehead.gif ).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 8:11 am 
My neighbor is the most responsible person I know, so I give her my plans and tell her when to call in the cavalry when I might do something dumb.

thunderhead, rbuzby
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 8:32 am 
Compose an email with all the information SAR will need to start looking for you. Address it to friends, family, and/or the most responsible you know. Schedule delivery for an appropriate time. Delete the message when you return safe and sound. Question: Would a 911 center respond to such an email?

rbuzby
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 8:36 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
Schedule delivery
That's a good idea, since you could have it scheduled to go out after you get back, so it wouldnt go out if you do get back on time and cancel it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 8:46 am 
People don't always read emails immediately. If you go that route, use an attention grabbing subject line! It sounds like a cloud service to text 911 or SAR on your behalf would be useful. Where you enter a little bit of detail about where you're going, what color clothing you have on, etc. Schedule and cancel.

mosey, rbuzby
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 8:49 am 
I have often wondered this myself, who do you tell when you don't have lots of people or the people you do have aren't the best or brightest? Technology (and humans) can always fail too. How many times have you gotten on trail and though "did I lock the car?", imagine waiting for a rescue and then thinking "did I actually hit schedule delivery on the email?". I think the best possible thing to do is carry a PLB or inreach or something. Cuts out most of the what ifs. Also expensive but probably more trusty than your relatives.

rbuzby
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am 
rbuzby wrote:
What if your relatives or friends are unavailable, or indifferent, or you otherwise don't want them involved
SpookyKite89 wrote:
who do you tell when you don't have lots of people or the people you do have aren't the best or brightest
You may not like my answer, but here it is anyway. Time for some new friends. I'm very introverted and unsociable but still could list at least a dozen non-family people I'd trust completely with this responsibility. Leaving it to strangers here or elsewhere is asking for nothing to happen (responsibility diffusion) or perhaps too much if people overreact. Also note there are other benefits of having smart and trustworthy friends. (Implied here is my preference for relying on people rather than technology. Although yes, carry a beacon.)

rbuzby, mosey
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 10:11 am 
CS wrote:
It seems like a service the parks should include in the cost of a reservation.
Wouldn't work. Every single person who got a reservation would have to check in. And most hikes don't require permits. Best get a inreach or similar device. And still leave a trip description with someone trustworthy.

rbuzby, mosey
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 10:26 am 
rbuzby wrote:
What if your relatives or friends are unavailable, or indifferent, or you otherwise don't want them involved, but you need someone to call 911 for you if you don't come back from a mountain trip, so you post on NW Hikers saying where you are going, and a simple "call 911 if I dont post here by a certain time and date."
This is a great question that many of us face and have to figure out a solution. Not everyone has a spouse or significant other to keep track of them. I hope we get some good ideas. Meanwhile I suggest you edit your thread title with something related to the question to get more eyes on this. "Bad idea" could refer to anything. ~z

rbuzby
mosey

mosey
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 11:31 am 
I don't think S&R would respond to an automated message. Website hosting is cheap and you can put it behind a password wall, host a private caltopo map to share with friends, or send out automated texts via email (you have to know the recipients carrier)

rbuzby
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 12:23 pm 
I mean, everything aside, I am sure you could just message someone here with your plans and ask them. However you would have to be willing to accept that should you be a little late or do need a rescue, there is going to be a thread of everyone here talking about you/debating when to call SAR. The possibility of coming home to read BigBrunyon's take on the situation would be worth it to me biggrin.gif

kw, rbuzby, Cyclopath, mosey
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 1:17 pm 
If you lack reliable friends and family members to notify SAR, you might consider informing your boss about your plans. I remember reading some reports of rescue missions that were initiated after someone didn't show up for work. For solo travel these days having a gadget like an InReach or PLB seems very desirable so help maybe summoned sooner and precisely to your location without having to wait until you are overdue. A gadget doesn't solve every scenario, but it does solve many.

jaysway, SpookyKite89, rbuzby
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 1:33 pm 
An enterprising soul could set up a side-gig; register for $25 per trip and I'll be your reliable friend. Reliable Friend knows who to call, knows the trailhead, the area, last known location, etc. The only thing is, Reliable Friend has to not be out on a trip, too. Because what if Reliable Friend becomes injured or lost, and misses your deadline when you're injured or lost and relying on the service. Reliable Friend II to monitor Reliable Friend I? And so on.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

SpookyKite89, rbuzby
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 1:50 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Reliable Friend II to monitor Reliable Friend I? And so on.
Or send N semi-reliable friends your trip info with the impression that you are solely depending on them, you'll have Nx better odds of SAR getting called.

rbuzby
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 02, 2022 1:55 pm 
Semi-Reliable Friend Services. I like it. Catchy. It could be like a pyramid scheme.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

rbuzby