Forum Index > Trail Talk > Another reason to learn/continue to use paper maps & compass...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 7:41 am 
It seems that there is no end to some people's evil minds, always wanting to hurt someone. So I submit that it's good to learn, or not forget how to use paper maps and compass: https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/how-vulnerable-is-gps Recently I bought a couple maps at a Ranger Station, and when I went back the next day (to buy more), I was told that if I wanted to return the day following, I would be refunded the amount charged the day before, as they had been given instructions that the maps were not for sale, but just either "give away or destroy" due to the old date (1997). So I went back, accepted my refund (and they would not allow me to 'donate' to their coffee fund or the like), then got one of every other map they had in stock.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology

breadcrumb, vibramhead, call-151, rbuzby
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 9:28 am 
moonspots wrote:
https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/how-vulnerable-is-gps
This looks like an article I'm going to enjoy. Thanks for posting!

rbuzby
hbb

hbb
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 am 
This article is about intentional jamming of GPS devices. That is really low on my list of potential problems to worry about when in the backcountry. I mean, it's great to develop navigation skills, but it seems silly to do so on the off chance some rouge spy or whatever targets me with a drone equipped with equipment designed to block or disrupt the GPS signal to my navigational devices.

neek

neek
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 am 
Yeah...I think the best argument for doing manual navigation is that it is, in fact, good for your brain. I'm not too worried about Putin navigating me off a cliff just for kicks. Interesting article though for sure. Technology and the relentless pursuit of efficiency have turned the whole world into a tightly coupled house of cards, and all it will take is one direct CME hit to set off a chain of events that will end civilization as we know it.

dixon, mosey
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 10:14 am 
hbb wrote:
seems silly to do so on the off chance some rouge spy or whatever targets me with a drone equipped with equipment designed to block or disrupt the GPS signal to my navigational devices.
Nobody wants to disrupt your navigational devices, they're trying to take mine out and you're just collateral damage. North Korea knows I'm working on a project to make Tiffany Mountain a Bulger and they're desperate to stop me! Also, you can do this to people when you see them leave a bag of dog turd on the trail.

rbuzby  rossb, SpookyKite89
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 10:24 am 
great find, moonspots. thanks! up.gif this one looked rather interesting as well, although I haven't yet read it: https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/what-would-happen-if-gps-failed When I was first introduced to "GPS" in a Hertz rental vehicle in the early 1990s, I knew then that it was a great system but one into which I would never be able to give my implicit trust. (Back then the signal disappeared when you got in the vicinity of any military installation, particularly around Cheyenne Mountain, near Colorado Springs.) it is, as noted above, just another little piece in a gigantic house of cards.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 11:41 am 
neek wrote:
Yeah...I think the best argument for doing manual navigation is that it is, in fact, good for your brain. I'm not too worried about Putin navigating me off a cliff just for kicks. Interesting article though for sure. Technology and the relentless pursuit of efficiency have turned the whole world into a tightly coupled house of cards, and all it will take is one direct CME hit to set off a chain of events that will end civilization as we know it.
I am not a big fan of all the technological advances, a friend told me that his uncle was making some good money buying and selling used books. I commented that, "Yes, but one needs to have knowledge of which ones are valuable in order to do so". He say's no, they make an app for that and you just scan the book or barcode and it tells you it's value". Seems one more thing that the Smart Phone is replacing is the human brain.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 12:46 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
North Korea knows I'm working on a project to make Tiffany Mountain a Bulger and they're desperate to stop me!
Miscreants have already discarded the perfect name for the range "The Cascades" in favor of the pathetic "The Bulgers" and now poor old Tiffany Mountain is going to be subsumed also? Will it ever stop? When people introduce their friends to the range now, they say "you just climbed your first Bulger!" Instead of "Welcome to the North Cascades!" What next? With it's 600+ feet of prominence, it's going to be the "Bulger Needle" soon, isnt it? The old Space Needle. Where's my bag for hyperventilating, I need to breath in it for a while to get over this. Tiffany Tiffany Tiffany......

Cyclopath
call-151

call-151
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 2:56 pm 
Perhaps this jamming technology could be used to alleviate the crowds on some of the more popular hiking trails. wink.gif

SpookyKite89, seawallrunner
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 4:36 pm 
call-151 wrote:
Perhaps this jamming technology could be used to alleviate the crowds on some of the more popular hiking trails. wink.gif
How about an Instagram blocker ?

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"

hbb
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 5:42 pm 
The most likely cause of failure of a GPS gadget is running down the battery. We don't need the Russians to get us into trouble. https://www.thesharpendpodcast.com/episode-78

moonspots
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 9:44 pm 
neek wrote:
Putin? More likely to be Xi Jinping.

Chief Joseph, Bernardo
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 10:01 pm 
Between my phone, GPS watch, and Garmin InReach I have triple GPS redundancy. And I always build gpx routes ahead of time for big days to follow. I see little reason for a map and compass with that level of redundancy. (Ignoring the addition of partners who also often have equivalent redundancy). Especially if I'm on trail because I've probably already spent so much time nerding out on Caltopo I've already memorized the route.

Flickr | Strava

Secret Agent Man, SpookyKite89
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 10:56 pm 
hbb wrote:
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 am hbb wrote: This article is about intentional jamming of GPS devices. That is really low on my list of potential problems to worry about when in the backcountry.
Many rangers in the various enchantments rangers districts are known to be guilty of jamming GPSes to steer ya into the permitted zones then they ticket you!!!

zimmertr, Cyclopath, Chief Joseph
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 8:57 am 
zimmertr wrote:
I have triple GPS redundancy. And I always build gpx routes ahead of time for big days to follow. I see little reason for a map and compass with that level of redundancy.
[slips off log and falls in stream] clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

rbuzby