Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 3:01 pm 
How about two cups and a REALLY long string? hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 07, 2007 3:19 pm 
What you need is one of these babies.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostSat Dec 08, 2007 2:33 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
How about two cups and a REALLY long string? hockeygrin.gif
550 cord. agree.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostSat Dec 08, 2007 2:52 pm 
RodF wrote:
The handhelds the Park, Forest and WTA work parties I've been on use are all VHF FM "marine band" (156-174 MHz) of a variety of brands (Bendix/King, Uniden, Yaesu, Icom, and there are many more). They also receive NOAA weather broadcasts (~162 MHz). The repeaters might require DSC (digital selective calling) to activate them - I don't know, as the handhelds I've seen were already preprogrammed.
It is very Illegal to transmit "Marine band" freq's on land, That being said, that Freq spread that you have posted above covers A LOT of different services. There are Marine services in that spread, Govt, Military, weather, EMS/Police/Fire, wireless microphones..ect..ect.. so Im sure the Freq's avail are legal. just not on the "Marine band". As for radios, Well it really depends on what route you go. If you go Ham, there are several very good rigs. there are good GMRS, FRS, Business radios out... BUT people need to understand, most to all of them require some sort of license, Joe-Schmuckie the nature boy cant just go out and by a radio, think he is going to program it to the same Freq's as the local emergency crews and think he is going to get away with it. Most would not even sell the radio to him. I will look through the local HRO rag that came in the mail today at work, and see what is avail that would work, is legal,and get back to this post later. wink.gif BTW: Malachai Constant You better put back the Titanic's Radio, that is a Historical land mark ya know. biggrin.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 7:00 am 
I know this is a very old thread. But just happened upon it. Just for people that want to know (probably none)- the Park is under NTIA, not FCC. NTIA regulates government agencies. I would be amazed if radios were ever available officially though. Having people just come up and talk and perhaps tie up the system would not work. There are frequencies available (last I knew) that would work ok for that- but those are not on repeaters. And adding another frequency to a repeater is a big deal for those low current setups (plus licensing- which is difficult above the ‘A’ line). All the repeater sites were supposed to be excluded from Wilderness when the plan was written (I was slightly involved) but of course that didn’t happen. But even so, finding sites that are accessible and have minimal impacts AND actually be useful is difficult. You can transmit on the government bands in an emergency, you need to file with NTIA the emergency use after the fact. But of course that assumes you know the frequencies and tones needed (or NACs in digital). Last I knew digital was really only used in LE, since the type used does not work as well as analog. Sorry for bringing up a very old thread- but just in case that one person is interested.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 8:29 am 
these small hand helds do not have the means to change to just any frequency. they are controlled on the uhf band which is fairly high and most have only 3 watts of power...cb band is lower in the vhf band and slightly more power, still range in mountainous area is limited. also i do not recall seeing repeaters in the pasayten or glacier wilderness. maybe carrier pigeon for those who need to stay in touch. BUT if you must have a means of communication think satelite phone try iridium 9555

RodF

RodF
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 4:06 pm 
Lotus54 wrote:
Last I knew digital was really only used in LE
Doesn't Buckinghorse SNOTEL download its data over the Park's VHF repeater network?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 6:08 pm 
The SNOTEL system is largely based on meteor burst communications.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 8:23 pm 
Since I hike often alone my husband wants me to carry some kind of talkie talkie. I haven’t researched anything yet. He would like me to carry a device to show my location and something to communicate. I don’t camp, but at times I choose long daily hikes and he is worried until he sees me back. Sometimes he hikes with me. But I am at it every day when we travel. And he likes to rest in between. I am usually always late. I underestimate my time back since there is so much to explore.

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 8:47 pm 
I would look at the Garmin ‘InReach’. It is two-way satellite. It will not work everywhere, but with just sending text, it likely will get through quicker than many options. You can set them up to track where you are, plus sent text and emergency. I’ve tested quite a few (certainly- it has been some years since I tested sat phones) and from what I’ve seen, it is the most capable.

Mountainpines
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 8:49 pm 
Last I knew (several years now) it did not use the Park system. I thought it was satellite, but I will be the first to say I do not know that for certain. I do know those I would ask to find out. At the time I was still doing it- only Law Enforcement used Digital, and almost always on the separate freq. Certainly things could have changed. (Not my problem anymore)

Mountainpines
hearingjd

hearingjd
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:49 pm 
RodF wrote:
A couple people have PM'd me asking what handhelds would work for emergency communications through the Forest Service and National Park VHF repeaters. I don't know what to recommend, and hope a ham might respond.
Park Service and USFS radios operate in specific government frequencies of the VHF band--civilian radios you can buy won't tune to those frequencies. And even if you can get a used government radio (like a retired Fire Department radio) you won't have a list of the right tones to access the government repeaters, so it really won't help you.

Hiker John

Mountainpines
hearingjd

hearingjd
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:58 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
Since I hike often alone my husband wants me to carry some kind of talkie talkie. I haven’t researched anything yet. He would like me to carry a device to show my location and something to communicate.
I got my Ham License and carry a ham radio with me-- depending on where you are at (I usually am in the Mt. Rainier, Crystal Mtn, or Snoqualmie Pass areas), you'll find excellent coverage from Ham repeaters. Much depends on what you have for an antenna (I have a Yaesu FT-2DR, 5 watts power, 18" antenna and put my radio in my pack so the antenna pokes out the top of my pack). Cost to get the license was $15 and it took a few weeks of study, but lots of free study materials on the web. With my radio I can almost always find a repeater that will allow me to reach someone out in Puget Sound-- and some repeaters are "linked" e.g. the Puget Sound Energy Repeaters near Enumclaw link in with repeaters in North Bend, Snohomish, and all the way to Bellingham. Reason I like my Ham radio instead of InReach or Spot 1) more power out than InReach or Spot (depending on the radio you have- I have up to 5 x their power), 2) flexibility (I have an advanced radio that has a beacon feature-- go to www.aprsdirect.com and you can see other Hams with this digital beacon) 3) with a little work (and the right radio) I can send and receive text messages from cell phones (called APRS) 4) free! I hate paying service fees! Then as my Emergency backup, I carry an ACR ResQLink SAR Beacon-- it transmits at 10 watts (5x the power of an InReach), will punch through trees and rain, plus has a local radio beacon to home in helicopters. But it has no communications capability other than calling for help.

Hiker John

dixon, Mountainpines
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Aug 07, 2022 7:46 am 
emergency radios have come a loooong way since I was in the service. this hand cranked 'gibson girl' sent automated sos on two frequencies and had optional balloon with flashing light.
ps forgot to mention it weighs 33lbs

CS, Mountainpines, Lotus54
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Aug 07, 2022 5:57 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
Since I hike often alone my husband wants me to carry some kind of talkie talkie. I haven’t researched anything yet. He would like me to carry a device to show my location and something to communicate. I don’t camp, but at times I choose long daily hikes and he is worried until he sees me back. Sometimes he hikes with me. But I am at it every day when we travel. And he likes to rest in between. I am usually always late. I underestimate my time back since there is so much to explore.
Sounds like the Garmin InReach would work well for you. The (satellite) text capability is key. You can text if you are running late, if a tree falls across the road and you are stuck, if you blow a tire and don't have a spare, etc etc. And of course, you can text if you are injured--it is very helpful for SAR to know, when they get an SOS call, whether they are going to find someone that's had a heart attack or a head injury, or just sprained an ankle.

Mountainpines