Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Road Trips, EVs, & Range Anxiety Questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 6:15 pm 
catsp wrote:
A Pickup Truck Driver Stops To Unplug a Random Tesla.
That wouldn't happen to my car. The charging cable locks into the car and can't be removed without the key fob.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 am 
Tip: the fast charger in Cle Elum is Greenlots (owned by Shell) and it requires you download the app and sign up for an account. If you plan on needing a charge in Cle Elum, it would be easier to get set up before you are there needing the charge. I hadn't heard of Greenlots before and didn't have an account.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:21 pm 
Now that I've been driving our Volvo XC40 Recharge for a while, driving our gas car (a Highlander, which we keep to tow a boat) feels like driving a tractor. Boy does the EV have pickup. I read somewhere it's like turning a blender on to high--it just goes to high, no lag time--and that is exactly what it's like. I don't know if all EVs are like this, but it is fun. Freeway merging is noooo problem.

CS

CS
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:33 pm 
What do you do while it’s charging in Cle Elum? Are there trails or something outdoorsy nearby? Or practice loitering at the local DQ?

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 8:13 pm 
I don't have any other tips for this spot. We weren't here long. It is at a coffee shop so there's that. The idea was to go home (Seattle)>Ingalls Creek th>stop at a fast charger in North Bend on the way home (227 miles for that trip). Then we started thinking that was cutting our supposed 240 mile range kinda close so we just got a little juice in Cle Elum.

CS
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 11:54 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Schroder wrote:
We charged in Kelso, Springfield, and Grants Pass the first day
Would you have been able to make it to Portland comfortably without charging? How much does driving on I-5 cut down on your range?
Now that the warmer weather is here we drove from Whidbey Island down I-5 to Portland with 50 miles to spare

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 7:58 am 
VW California ID BUZZ 2024

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 03, 2022 11:02 pm 
CS wrote:
What do you do while it’s charging in Cle Elum? Are there trails or something outdoorsy nearby? Or practice loitering at the local DQ?
Mostly you're lookin at burgers in cle elum. Several burger options available. Ya got DQ. Far end ya got BK. East end of the main strip ya got the Big Burger Joint. Couple other burgers scattered around town. Several large burgers.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostThu Aug 04, 2022 2:27 pm 
I can't believe I missed the thread where we post photos of our new EVs. The low-key normal car aesthetic of the ID.4 and XC40 is nice. I have to spend 20 minutes a day fending off salivating Model 3 owners who want to sit in my car. Schroder, I got the impression that you live about 2 miles south of me from your photos of the container ships. I was wondering who was driving the ID.4. Good choice. Probably the best value right now if you want faster charging than the Bolt. My wife loves our Bolt and kept it through the recall. It really is a great car; notwithstanding the torture devices that pass for front seats. My bingo card of next generation EVs seen in the neighborhood is pretty much full; just missing a Lucid and an EQS. Must be something in the water up here. Hyundai and Kia have definitely been selling EVs in WA for years. If you see a primer gray Ioniq 5 at the farm with a red merle riding shotgun, that's me. To answer the original question, Tesla is just barely no longer the fastest game in town. It would take me 15-30 minutes total charging time over 1-2 stops depending on season and driving speed to get to Whitefish from Leavenworth, and then there is a level 3 station in Whitefish. Similar trip to get to the Steens Summit Trailhead from Leavenworth. 2 or fewer stops, 40 or fewer minutes total charging. Level 3 in Burns. I've done these kind of trips a lot in a Gen 1 Leaf, Gen 2 Leaf and a Bolt. It's very slow; lots of opportunities to get out and hike. Road tripping with 150 kW+ charging is similar to a gas vehicle unless you're the guy that drives 500 miles between stops and pees in a bottle.

Pef

Pef
PostFri Aug 05, 2022 10:13 am 
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2022-summer-ev-road-trip/?srnd=premium Best Road Trips in the US Are Off the Map for Most Electric Cars many of America’s favorite driving journeys are still off the map for non-Tesla EVs. Of the 11 most popular road trips as determined by AAA, four have stretches of at least 200 miles between public fast-charging stations,

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 05, 2022 10:30 am 
Pef wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2022-summer-ev-road-trip/?srnd=premium Best Road Trips in the US Are Off the Map for Most Electric Cars many of America’s favorite driving journeys are still off the map for non-Tesla EVs. Of the 11 most popular road trips as determined by AAA, four have stretches of at least 200 miles between public fast-charging stations,
Pretty poorly written and they don't look at their own numbers:
Quote:
four have stretches of at least 200 miles between public fast-charging stations, a dicey proposition for those driving a battery-powered vehicle that can’t top up on Tesla’s proprietary network. Of the 80 or so electric vehicle model variants for sale in the US at the moment, 31 travel less than 250 miles on a charge.
31 of 80 is not "most" Also, non-Teslas can charge at Tesla stations with a $200 adaptor and an account. They talk about no charging stations on the 495-mile Natchez Trace Parkway, but how many gas stations are there on the Parkway and how many gas vehicles have a 495 mile range? I don't understand this anti-EV movement appearing in the media & all the crap I suddenly see posted on Facebook. With earth's population growing at the rate it is we're going to have to use every energy alternative there is, not even considering climate effects.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostFri Aug 05, 2022 10:33 am 
Pef wrote:
Best Road Trips in the US Are Off the Map for Most Electric Cars
There are certainly compromises with most EVs, but people seem to forget that nearly every building and many campgrounds in the US have electricity. And 500 miles is a big day for most road-tripping families. I could do any of the trips mentioned in a Bolt with minimal hassle.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostFri Aug 05, 2022 10:55 am 
Schroder wrote:
They talk about no charging stations on the 495-mile Natchez Trace Parkway
It would be pretty silly to drive the Natchez Trace without stopping. I would just stay overnight at one of the many campgrounds with an RV hookup. Not to mention, there actually are a couple charging stations along the route, and several more currently being built.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 3:27 pm 
Quote:
Of the 11 most popular road trips as determined by AAA, four have stretches of at least 200 miles between public fast-charging stations,
Given that there are other kinds of chargers besides "public fast chargers," other routes than those determined by AAA, and that it's easy to find an EV with more than a 200 mile range--I can't remember a single one less than that when we were shopping--this isn't very useful.
Quote:
I don't understand this anti-EV movement appearing in the media & all the crap I suddenly see posted on Facebook.
Oh I know. I've had 2 older friends email me about the lithium batteries and fire, or powering EVs with dirty energy....the fire email came from a person who powers her house with solar, and the other from someone that should understand where Seattle gets its electricity. I don't know if I should chalk this up to the possibility their critical thinking skills are declining, or what.

kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Aug 06, 2022 3:34 pm 
I'm still getting used to the difference between uphill energy use and downhill and what it means for my hiking trips. I hiked on the PCT north of Chinook Pass yesterday and mapping the route, saw I'd have plenty of charge from my house in Phinney without having to stop for the round trip. But I was already down to 50% when I pulled in to Chinook Pass. On the way back down, though, I gained 3% by the time I was down to White River level, and only used 18% on the way home. I tend to think of the drive from Seattle to the Chinook Pass turnoff or at least the NP entrance as flat-ish but clearly there is more incline than I realized. Maybe it doesn't actually mean anything for my hiking trips, since downhills follow uphills; you can't go uphill forever.