Forum Index > Gear Talk > Trail Runner/Low Top Boot Store Suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:15 pm 
I'm in the market for new trail runners (or low top boots). I used to use Altra Lone Peak 4, but they've worn out, and unfortunately they don't sell those anymore. They've moved on to Lone Peak 6 and I don't find them comfortable. I bought them at REI and tried some of the shoes there, but was disappointed. Any suggestions for stores (not necessarily brands) that I should check out? Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:53 pm 
Topo Athletic makes similar shoes with a wide toebox. They have a couple zero drop options but most are low drop (3-5mm). I found them more comfortable as Altras have a high Achilles notch that would bother my heels. REI may carry some of them, not sure.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 pm 
Cabella's has a good selection of hiking boots and shoes. I really like Solomon's but I have been going with Asics trail runners since I get them at Fred Meyer for 60% off (I have a lifetime employee discount + the clearance price), but I checked out Cabella's selection at their Marysville store and was quite impressed. They also stock Danner products.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 1:52 pm 
Not quite trail running, but i got some high-cushioning running shoes for a gravel road half at plateau runner in issaquah and i liked that store. Dont remember what their stocks of dedicated trail runners were like... probably more focused on regular running.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 4:22 pm 
I have a friend that really likes his Xero shoes and sandals for hiking and even backpacking. https://xeroshoes.com/

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 5:42 pm 
Have you tried Zappos? It's very easy to make returns.
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have a friend that really likes his Xero shoes and sandals for hiking and even backpacking. https://xeroshoes.com/
One of my doctors just recommended Xero shoes to me to deal with knee pain

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:14 pm 
rossb wrote:
I used to use Altra Lone Peak 4, but they've worn out, and unfortunately they don't sell those anymore
It appears you can still order the Altra 4's from some sellers, such as this one.

rossb

rossb
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 am 
Navy salad wrote:
rossb wrote:
I used to use Altra Lone Peak 4, but they've worn out, and unfortunately they don't sell those anymore
It appears you can still order the Altra 4's from some sellers, such as this one.
I can't find those in my size (10.5). If you run across a pair, please let me know. As far as Zappos goes, I'm trying to avoid sending boxes of shoes back and forth. I know there are people who order a dozen pairs and find a pair that fits well, but I would rather try things on at a store. I would try Cabella's, but they are a long ways from me (I wish there was a store in Seattle). I'm going to try a few stores close to me, starting with Dick's Sporting Goods (Northgate), then Second Ascent (Ballard), then Seven Hills (Magnolia). If none of those work I may try Cabella's or give REI another shot. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

rossb

rossb
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 10:02 am 
I ended up getting some Merrell's at Dick's. They didn't have the model I wanted to try out (Moab Flight) but the Moab Vent fit great. They are a bit bulkier than I like, but will do. I went to three stores looking for shoes, and all three times they were out of a particular model. I'll try again in the spring when hopefully there are more shoes in stock.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 1:02 pm 
Let me know how those work out for you, considering those myself.

graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:14 pm 
rossb wrote:
I ended up getting some Merrell's at Dick's. They didn't have the model I wanted to try out (Moab Flight) but the Moab Vent fit great. They are a bit bulkier than I like, but will do. I went to three stores looking for shoes, and all three times they were out of a particular model. I'll try again in the spring when hopefully there are more shoes in stock.
I just ordered a pair of Moab Flights at Merrell's website. They're on sale: https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-flight/53165M.html?dwvar_53165M_color=J066743#cgid=last-chance&prefn1=genericSizeType&prefv1=M&prefn2=isOnSale&prefv2=true&start=1

The only easy day was yesterday...
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 9:19 pm 
I just read a book about a guy hiking the Appalachian trail, he was a young and fit guy, just out of the military but with zero long trek experience. He began with a huge 80 liter pack, military bag, and of course the very heavy leather boots. After he had enough of that, he switched to some trail runners and other lighter gear and was much happier. Then about 2/3 the way to the northern trail terminus, he bought some Moab's and said they were the best boots-shoes he had worn while hiking. Plus they are reasonably priced.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 11:43 pm 
The Big Boot Scene is the way to go these days. Highly important to maintain a heavy presence in the Big Boot Scene.

rossb

rossb
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 7:46 am 
I owned a pair a few years back as well. My wife also owns a pair. They are much more "low top boots" instead of "trail runners". They are quite stiff, with plenty of protection around the front and sides of the shoe. They are great on rocky trails (e. g. Pilchuck). Because of all that, they aren't very light. They are big volume shoes, almost too much. Most of the shoes I've looked at (and rejected) were the opposite, especially since I replace the standard (usually thin) inserts with SOLE inserts. I have to make sure and tie the laces tight, otherwise the shoe slops around. That's it. Not my favorite shoe, but decent.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 am 
That's why I think that one needs at least 3 pair of boots and shoes. Light, medium, and heavy. When we were hiking in Kings Canyon my trial runners got wet crossing the river, so I wore my Crocs for a few miles and they were fine. I also walk quite a bit in them which I think has made my ankles stronger.