Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 09, 2022 9:12 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
...we just delete the posts violating our terms of service. Or worse, Tom will put offenders in the posting penalty box.
I like these ideas. Maybe give them their own sandbox (thread) to play in and leave this thread for an exchange of useful information. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jul 09, 2022 9:59 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Maybe give them their own sandbox (thread) to play in and leave this thread for an exchange of useful information.
The terms of use apply regardless; stay on topic, no personal insults. It's hard with covid, but we've mostly done pretty well so far with this thread.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 5:18 pm 
zephyr wrote:
I like these ideas.
Agreed, much better than punishing everyone. Ed Yong on BA.5 (and kind of an overview of where we are now).

rocknclimb
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon Jul 11, 2022 6:20 pm 
rocknclimb
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 12:46 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Clueless in Seattle ^....lol. this convo is like an area on the Kitsap Peninsula, "Point no Point". doh.gif
I've been to Point no Point. Kitsap isn't my favorite part of the peninsula. Getting back to the question you dodged, "they" want to know what you spend your money on, but for no reason at all? That doesn't really make sense.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Jul 13, 2022 7:06 pm 
COVID cases/deaths are ticking up. Map always shows data collected by Johns Hopkins over prior 14 days. Click basemap button to see different data layers you can turn on/off Click any symbol for details. Click "Map tips" upper left corner for more info
View larger size in new window

Anne Elk
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Jul 17, 2022 9:20 am 
Our current status: https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2022/07/covid-update-usa-july-2022

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 10:05 am 
Here's an article in the Seattle Times that was originally published in the Washington Post. It talks about the folks that haven't yet gotten Covid-19 yet or who made it past the two year mark only to get it when they let their guard down. Interesting but nothing really new other than to keep masking, social distancing, and avoiding risky behavior. ~z

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 11:05 am 
^^^ The factoid that's really remarkable in the link that Sculpin posted is that 2/3rds of the US population hasn't even gotten boosted. American exceptionalism at it's finest. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 1:06 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Here's an article in the Seattle Times that was originally published in the Washington Post. It talks about the folks that haven't yet gotten Covid-19 yet or who made it past the two year mark only to get it when they let their guard down. Interesting but nothing really new other than to keep masking, social distancing, and avoiding risky behavior. ~z
As I have said before, unless you live in a bubble you are going to get it at some point. Being out in the world and in close proximity with other humans and thinking you won't get it is like going hiking and not getting bitten by a bug. I play in a poker tournament a couple of times a week and just heard that one of the regulars had it. I am pretty sure I had the new variant and my symptoms lasted almost 2 weeks. Began with the runs and just feeling a bit lethargic, then a pretty bad sore throat for nearly a week (Biden has same issue) then congestion and sneezing. Also some chills but no fever that I know of. Not a big deal and I feel fine now.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostMon Jul 25, 2022 3:50 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am pretty sure I had the new variant and my symptoms lasted almost 2 weeks.
Very similar, 13 days here plus a week or two to really get my energy back. The fatigue was the scariest thing. Otherwise I think my symptoms were even milder than yours. Fever for just one day, then vague cold symptoms. No runs, sneezing, congestion. Just some coughing, chest pressure, and fatigue. Wish I knew which variant it was, hopefully the latest which is pretty well dominating the scene currently. We always wear N95s indoors fwiw (I still think it's reasonable, but clearly not foolproof). Always enjoy hearing about others' experience. Lots of highly vulnerable folks out there still need to be really careful.

Cyclopath, Chief Joseph
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 09, 2022 3:01 pm 
Here's an interesting animation clip that shows various methods of air transmission of Covid particles. https://twitter.com/la_resistensia_/status/1463190799315877891 ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Sep 09, 2022 7:53 pm 
The new Covid vaccine boosters are rolling out this next week in King County. Pharmacies and various health care providers are seeing people in store or at pop up clinics. I would assume the same thing is happening across the state. Here's an article in Time Magazine about mixing and matching the Pfizer and/or Moderna vaccines. You have to wade through the ads and videos. https://time.com/6211330/omicron-booster-mix-match-moderna-pfizer/ Quote: "...But the abundance of options means you may have already received a booster dose from a different manufacturer, and that’s just fine. Studies have shown that people who received mRNA booster doses of the original vaccine made by a different manufacturer than that of the primary series generated similar virus-fighting antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, compared to people who got the same brand of primary and booster shot. ... That was the case with the original vaccines and boosters. But human studies of the new Omicron boosters have not been completed yet—they will be launched in September—so there are no data yet on what happens when people who have been vaccinated with one company’s shots then get an Omicron booster made by a different company. It’s also not clear what happens, for instance, if someone who was vaccinated with Moderna’s shot, then boosted with Pfizer-BioNTech’s, now gets a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna Omicron booster. But based on previous studies of mixing and matching, health officials are relatively confident that the booster doses are interchangeable, and the CDC says people over 18 “may get a different product for a booster than they got for their primary series, as long as it’s Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.”" Please see the article for more details. ~z

Anne Elk
neek

neek
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 6:44 am 
Good summary of where we are, how we got here, and what the future may hold, by Ed Yong, one of my favorite science journalists.
Quote:
America was ranked as the world’s most prepared country in 2019—and, bafflingly, again in 2021—but accounts for 16 percent of global COVID deaths despite having just 4 percent of the global population. It spends more on medical care than any other wealthy country, but its hospitals were nonetheless overwhelmed. It helped create vaccines in record time, but is 67th in the world in full vaccinations. (This trend cannot solely be attributed to political division; even the most heavily vaccinated blue state—Rhode Island—still lags behind 21 nations.) America experienced the largest life-expectancy decline of any wealthy country in 2020 and, unlike its peers, continued declining in 2021. If it had fared as well as just the average peer nation, 1.1 million people who died last year—a third of all American deaths—would still be alive.
All of This Will Happen Again Short article but I counted 85 links to supporting material.

day_hike_mike, Cyclopath, Anne Elk, Kascadia, RichP
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:12 am 
Booster number 3 yesterday and doing well