Forum Index > Trip Reports > Helicopter Hiking in the Remote Waddington Range!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lcometto

lcometto
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:34 am 
Last week, myself, and a group of seven other landscape photographers, helicoptered to one of the most epic mountain landscapes in the world. We flew to a remote section of the Waddington Range in the Coast Mountains of Canada where we spent four days hiking and photographing enormous peaks and massive glaciers. There were no trails and no people for many, many miles. Because of its remoteness and difficulty of access, few people have seen these mountains in person, creating a deep sense of adventure. My goal for this trip was to add to my gallery of mountain shots of the various ranges in the Pacific Northwest. Please check it out if you have a few minutes! https://www.lucascometto.com/northwest-mountains-gallery
Waddington Range, Coast Mountains, Canada
Day 1 On our first day, the group rode helicopters from the tiny village of Tatla Lake in British Columbia to Nabob Pass, a pass surrounded by enormous mountains and multiple glaciers. A hike to this place would be quite difficult as it is many miles away and would require navigating through glaciers and around mountains. Upon landing, we established basecamp on a grassy area between the peaks. We took advantage of the pleasant conditions to hike down a nearby valley and to a river where I shot lupine flowers growing by a milky-colored river. The spring thaw had just begun, and it created colorful sections of flora that flanked the stream.
I then separated from the group to follow the river upstream and to a large boulder field. This elevated perspective revealed a huge glacier in the distance. Momentarily, the sun broke through the thick clouds, and it lit up the river near me as well as the glacier beyond. The sun beams it produced were incredible.
Most of the group had moved on to hike back to basecamp but I waited for sunset. To the south, I spotted a view of the campsite area with the peaks lit up in sunset colors. It stopped me in my tracks, and I had to take a shot.
Day 2 The following day, some of us awoke at 4:45am to gather our gear and shoot sunrise light. Deep alpenglow highlighted the peaks across a lake, and it cast a reflection on the water. It was the best morning of the trip.
I then set off on a hike with a few in the group through the rough terrain, including some bushwhacking, to a nice little stream that served as great foreground to the peaks across a glacier. As this stream flows further downstream, it turns into a waterfall when it drops down 1500 feet to the glacier below.
Back at basecamp, one of the photographers noticed some nice patterns on the ice in a small pond. The whole PNW, including Washington and British Columbia, had a cold, wet spring this year, generating tons of snow on the peaks. There were still many snow and ice patches right near our tents.
Day 3 That night we set out alarms for 1:00am and shot the Milky Way in the middle of the night, exposing our cameras for 20-30 seconds at a time and recording an amazing green glow due to particles in the atmosphere that night.
That third day was largely sunny and cloudless and because of that, it made it hard to capture anything photogenic. Later in the afternoon and into the night, it rained hard for nearly 12 hours and we stayed in our tents to read and sleep. Day 4 We awoke to heavy fog conditions on the last day and our helicopter could not reach us. We faced a real possibility of staying another day & night. Nevertheless, the fog was amazing though as it enveloped the mountains.
Fortunately, after about half a day, the fog cleared enough for us to helicopter back to Tatla Lake, where we started. With two others in the group, I made the 11.5-hour drive back to Seattle, finally getting home at 2:00am, exhausted but happy with this incredible trip to the mountains.

Portfolio: www.lucascometto.com

Zloi, Mtn Dog, RichardJ, Tom, half fast, Route Loser, jstern, MangyMarmot, HikingBex, Lightning_bug, NWtrax, JonnyQuest, GaliWalker, Waterman, fffej50  SpookyKite89, jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:50 am 
So couple questions...range of the r/t heli.? Split between what 3 people? Did u visit a few lakes..and any chance there's fishing? Spectacular shots..ya got the goods on that tripˇ

jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 am 
Wow, your shots are absolutely amazing! What an incredibly scenic part of the world smile.gif. This spring I was planning a trip to this exact spot and another nearby for this summer, but plans fell apart when I couldn't get a group together. Hopefully next year or sometime soon. It's an expensive ride. I even chatted with Mike over the phone to talk about logistics. There are few trip reports on this area and most people that access places like these ride with Mike. I even found a trip report from a young Marc-André Leclerc visiting a nearby spot. I was reading the report and thinking that the young guy looked so familiar until I realized that it was him! I would guess that more people heliski nearby than helihike, but I'm not entirely sure. Most of Mike's business comes from commercial work, and recently that sounds like a lot of helping fight forest fires. lcometto, did you climb the peak to the east of the pass where you stayed? I've seen pictures from there with amazing views of the pass along with the glaciers and high peaks of the range.

lcometto

lcometto
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:43 pm 
Forest Gnome - thanks for the kind words! I was happy to experience diverse weather when I was there - partly cloudy, cloudy, and sunny. The helicopter costs were bundled into a photography tour that I payed for so I'm not sure what the exact price for just the helicopter ride but I can say that the group used White Saddle Air Services (https://www.whitesaddleair.com/). They are incredibly professional and proficient at what they do. I visited a few lakes but, to be honest, I didn't get any fishing in - but then again, I didn't see too many fish in the lakes either!

lcometto

lcometto
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:45 pm 
Jaysway - Thank you for the kind words! That stinks that you couldn't make it out but I really hope you do as it is an incredible area. The mountains are so tall and the glaciers, so huge. I assume the Mike you are referring to is the owner of White Saddle, right? He's awesome! Knows his stuff and very accommodating. I also heard that they spend a good amount of time fighting fires. Fortunately, there was only a small, distant one when we were there so it caused no trouble but if it did, that would take priority. As for the peak, I did climb a small boulder field and got a crazy view of mountains and a distant glacier (pictures one and three in the report). This view is from the east, looking west.

gb

gb
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 5:08 pm 
I climbed in the Niut Range across Mosley Creek in September (21st) of 1980. It is amazing that Mike King is still alive and doing what he has for so long. We did routes on The Brother and The Sisters. Although the climbs were quite good, it turned into an adventure as a fast moving and unseen snowstorm raced off the Pacific in just 3 hours and forced us to descend blindly an unknown opposite side of The Sisters, and then to traverse Mosley Creek for four days without a map or food (there were blueberries and water) until reaching the Bench Glacier, at whose top we had camped. A day after arriving back at camp Mike King flew in with the Constable in the other front seat of his Jet Ranger - they were expecting a body recovery. It snowed three feet, but we traveled just near the snowline after descending. Quite an adventure nonetheless.....

jaysway
contour5

contour5
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:35 pm 
Spectacular photography! Thanks for the post!

lcometto

lcometto
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 8:11 am 
GB - that experience sounds both terrifying and incredible. Glad you made it out alright. These mountains are pretty remote and I think that fact (along with their grandeur) really make it amazing to see them person.

MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 12:50 pm 
lcometto, Amazing photographs to say the least! I do a lot of hiking (with my camera) in the Washington Cascades and must admit never thought about having a company take me up to a location for a couple days just for photography. Your pictures have inspired me to look into doing something similar. Can you say what company you used in Canada for this trip? Thanks, MLH

lcometto

lcometto
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 4:19 pm 
MLH, you bet. My group used White Saddle Air Services (https://www.whitesaddleair.com/). As I mentioned above, they are incredibly professional and proficient at what they do. I highly recommend them!

MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 5:02 pm 
Icometto, Oh I misunderstood, I though there was another agency between you and White Saddle Air Services. Thanks, Mark