Forum Index > Pacific NW History > "Grand Falls" (ONP)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 1:29 pm 
My wife and I just returned from a 6-day hike in the NE Olympics (my 3rd trip this summer! smile.gif ) and our last night was spent at a lovely site at the confluence of Badger and Grand Creeks. The WIC and RL Wood's book refer to it as an "emergency camp" but it seems like it was so much more. First, it is near a beautiful and impressive waterfall in Grand Creek that does not show up on any maps that I've seen. The upper falls are probably >60 ft tall and were really going when we were there. Second, the site seems to have been used for a very long time. There were multiple large stumps covered in moss and old blazes on many trees. The most interesting of which seemed to be a large "C." Anyone know more about this site?
blaze closeup
blaze closeup
blaze
blaze
falls
falls

RodF
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 1:37 pm 
Skookum Bill

Skookum Bill
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 pm 
From Wikipedia: This mountain, Cameron Pass, Cameron Glaciers, Cameron Creek, and Cameron Basin are named after Amos Benson Cameron (1872-1951), an early settler of this area who homesteaded for 41 years in the Deer Park area with his wife and 14 children.[4] He pioneered the first trail into Cameron Basin. Perhaps the "C" has something to do with Cameron, or if a better image is available, indeed it might read "CCC."

RodF