Now I Fly wrote:
That was me. :-)
Brilliant job!

Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 7:32 pm 
Checked in on the progress, today. The thinning has begun. Mainly posting these for the record.
In case your lost. :-)
Gotta have the right tool.
Gotta have the right tool.
Work'n man.
Work'n man.
Thinning.
Thinning.
I've never been around a logging operation. The tools in the field are quite impressive! I have a video, but I'm not quite sure how to post it. confused.gif

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 7:48 pm 
"It's kind of scrappy/unhealthy-looking forest there anyway" I find it interesting how a second growth forest progresses. This area similar to the Middle Fork, where a dense, young, canopy (Thirty years ago) creates low, to no, brush (because of lack of light). That lack of light continues as the canopy reaches skyward, and often makes for pleasant traveling country. Lots of moss-covered terrain. B.

mosey

mosey
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 9:18 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
Is this the trail up mason creek to 9030 or the original p3 trail that has the well graded switchbacks and passes the dynamite sheds further west? Is that trail still passable? It appears to go through the logging zone so I assume it might be leveled eventually

solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 pm 
It’s the trail up Mason Creek from exit 42 to the Trailhead at the Ira Spring parking lot (not the turn off the main trail for the old trail that follows Mason Creek).

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 9:02 am 
Wandered around the area now that the thinning/logging operation has been completed. I'm looking forward to watching it regrow. smile.gif
The temporary bridge has been removed.
The temporary bridge has been removed.
The road after decommissioning.
The road after decommissioning.
Also, the fire on the north side of Defiance still has a bit of life in it, even after the recent rains.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 11:13 am 
Now I Fly wrote:
I've never been around a logging operation. The tools in the field are quite impressive! I have a video, but I'm not quite sure how to post it. confused.gif
That looks like a dangle head feller buncher or maybe a processor. It doesn't look as fancy as some. They can cut in thick stands of trees with less damage to the standing trees, and faster than a chainsaw. I like to see them in partial cuts because of that. They are mostly used on gentle ground. They cut the tree, may take the limbs off, and may cut the logs to length, and pile it (bunch) with enough logs to make an efficient trip for the skidder. Or, just cut and limb it and bunch it, or....depending on what the prescription is. On the west side, land managers like limbs left in units to protect and add nutrients to the soils. The limbs break down pretty quickly. The skidder used is most likely a grapple skidder. It goes in and picks up the bunch of logs with tongs (grapples) on the back and brings them in to the landing. That's called mechanized logging. Those logs look, well, like...junk.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Now I Fly
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 12:02 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Sentinal hub aerials showing progress of new road being built in the last month
Sentinal hub aerials showing progress of new road being built in the last month
Now we can see into the future 11 years!

Cyclopath  Anne Elk
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 12:59 pm 
On the map it mentions multi-span logging. What is that?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 5:23 pm 
Snowshovel wrote:
On the map it mentions multi-span logging. What is that?
A yarder is set up and a skyline system configured.
Because there is a problem with getting lift or deflection due to a convex topography, an intermediate support is rigged up to keep one end of the log in the air. One end suspension is easier on the ground and the machinery than just dragging the entire log up. Here's an intermediate support, or jack, being raised up mid span. Note the flat ground of the unit. That means lift problems.
The line (cable) is held up by the jack and the carriage, which is pulling the logs up, rides over it. It isn't something that is very common--one logger had not used one in a zillion years so had a hard time remembering how to rig it up properly. For yarder logging, steep is good, along with a concave shaped slope or being able to rig lines across a drainage to get good deflection. It's easy on the ground too. This is a carriage that is pulled up on the skyline.
It has a diesel motor and is radio controlled and gives assistance to pulling out line with chokers attached.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Sculpin, Now I Fly
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 5:38 pm 
This is a very light thinning after being yarded. The long, narrow opening is a corridor cut out for the skyline. There are still old stumps from the original clearcut of the past.

Now I Fly
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 6:10 pm 
Gotcha. And I know they like uphill cable yarding for safety

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostSun Oct 30, 2022 6:13 pm 
That’s a little tower in your photo. The days of big Skagits are long past. I worked in the old Skagit plant once after it had been closed, what a place it must have been

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Nov 07, 2022 12:32 pm 
This, along with the razing that's gone on along West Tiger summits, Poo Poo South Launch, etc. are what cause me to (at minimum) scratch my head at the "DON'T GO OFF TRAIL AND CAUSE EROSION" signs and fences and nonsense that have appeared at various long-standing trails in the last ten years or so. I just don't see any need for 'fixing' decades old trails like this on the west slope in 2nd and 3rd growth forest. The most ridiculous I'm aware of is the old direct finish to the Poo Poo south launch, which was fenced off, LIVE trees cut down over it, and then they clear-cut 20+ acres next to the launch AND ran a brush hog all down the slope below the launch, right where the trail is/was/had been. Alpine terrain is entirely different, of course.

If not now, when?

Secret Agent Man, Malachai Constant