Forum Index > Trip Reports > illabot 8-5-2022
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 6:18 pm 
illabot 8-5-2022
illabot 8-5-2022 "ok, you two go on to the summit, i'll wait here" i said. it had rained the night before and the moderately steep grass/heather hillside was still wet and slick. for me it was not worth the risk. if we made summit, it would be the 172nd time iron and i had been to a summit together and the 45th time eric and i had. pretty much the entire time we have been climbing together i had been considerate of their egos and pretended like they were twice as strong, will maybe three time as strong and far more athletic. hey, that's just the way a considerate guy like me rolls. anyway, they would hear none of that and they figured out an easier way just for me. this happened twice that i was going to turn around and they found a different way just for me. one of the most awesome feelings a human can have is feeling that one is loved. more than just kindness, the pure love they showed deeply touched me. i kind of think i am mostly over the peakbagging thing, but i don't think you ever get over wanting to be loved. new peaks are fun, but old friends are better and when the twain does meet... :>) quick and dirty route info: drive the suiattle river road, then n on grade creek road(excellent shape for rarely used dirt road) to trailhead. follow brushed out trail to and past lake tupso, then on to and over pass s of lake louise, at ~5100' traverse to saddle 5210 se of lake louise, leave trail and go down,e , to tarns traverse ne to 5090 col e of the ridge e of lake louise. head north to bypass brush until you can ascend heather e up to 5460' just below the wsw ridge of illabot, then do a rising ene traverse until you reach the tree filled gully ~5800', ascend class 3 gully, nice vegie belays, to a few feet below summit. short exposed class 3 step to summit. water: lots of it bugs: not bad brush: avoided 99.5% of it
rock step below summit
rock step below summit
humorous moment: since i pretend to be so much slower than them, i left the summit a few minutes ahead of them. at the bottom of the tree filled gully, my ice axe, which was attached to my pack, got entwined in the tree branches so deeply i could not move. steep so i could not let go, could not take off my pack, could not move up, down... spent 10 minutes trying to free it. i could hear them coming down when i finally freed it. was happy i could finally move as rock fall at that spot was a real worry. began moving on and you know what happened next, yep, i got it stuck again. not only am i much faster than those two, i obviously must be much, much brighter too :>)
7.31mi 3041' gain 4:44 car to summit 0:31 summit stay 3:26 summit to car 8:42 car to car ps - thanks matt for the track and the excellent beta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! equipment: ice axe and microspikes for steep wet grass/heather, helmet

Route Loser, Lindsay, mosey, ozzy, Schroder, GaliWalker, RichP  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 7:48 pm 
who are you calling old? fencing.gif horsey.gif

contour5

contour5
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:25 pm 
nice...

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:50 pm 
Haven't commented or posted in a while...This report reminded me why we are all here, and why it's the simplicities in life that bring us the most joy. Thanks.

Brushbuffalo, awilsondc
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 9:17 am 
Nice. Sorry I could not make it!

Art is an adventure.
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 9:55 am 
Sweet peak!! Ive wondered about this one since viewing it from Tommy Thompson earlier this year. Looks like a fun ramble y'all had up there. Thanks for the beta, cheers! rocker.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 7:56 pm 
Thanks for the fun trip, I was happy to get a rare day off and hike with you guys to a new summit! It's quite a scrappy peak, gotta pay attention to find the best way to the top.

Eric Eames

Brushbuffalo